Fuel tank suggestion

Lobster331

Hi everyone ,
I have recently developed a leak in the bottom of my stainless fuel tank. Looking to replace them and wondering what materials you guys would suggest. They are 150 gallons apiece. I want to build fiberglass tanks but the builder is recommending aluminum coated with a s1 on the outside. All the new boat builds I see are mostly done in fiberglass and no one seems to have any issues.

southshore30

Boat Make
Calvin Beal/Southshore 30
Fiberglass for diesel. They will last a lifetime if installed correctly. Are you positive they are stainless and that big? Stainless is pretty brittle, aluminum more common for tanks 150gallons

leaky

Captain
I'd say go fiberglass too.

The originals could be stainless but I think more likely it's this alloy that escapes me, looks like stainless but it's not, want to say the name starts with an "m"...

southshore30

Boat Make
I'd say go fiberglass too.

The originals could be stainless but I think more likely it's this alloy that escapes me, looks like stainless but it's not, want to say the name starts with an "m"...
Your thinking of Monel. The boat would have to be from the 50’s most likely to have monel tanks.

southshore30

Boat Make
Bingo - yes. But the boat I fish on with them was built in the 70s to my knowledge.
Very possible they are. I saw a lot of monel tanks working at a wooden boat shop where we primarily worked on Huckins from the early 50’s but it entirely possible that material was used in some boats up to the 70’s or later. There is probably most definitely repurposed monel tanks still in use today in some boats.