Furuno GP 1670 circa 2009 doesn't show navigation elements.

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Bern, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Bern

Bern Member

Carpenter
    Boat Make:
    Muscle Ridge 28
    Hi Folks, Probably operator error as are most of my questions. I cruise mostly in Casco Bay and set the range at .5 miles. My GP 1670 or( it says GP 7000 on the face plate), doesn't seem to hold the range, it switches to 100 miles and therefore loses detail. However, more frustrating, all the navigational details go away at any range, channel markers, bouys , etc, it just shows outlines of land forms. I got it to switch back once, however, I don't know what I did. This unit was never integrated with the transducer, I have a separate sounder, (that's another question for later). I've read the instructions thoroughly, and can't figure out if the unit is failing or I'm incompetent. I wind up using Embark on my phone which works great, however tiny display. Thank you very much.

Bern,
  2. the_Bartender

the_Bartender Senior Member

Former Merchant Mariner, Now Commercial Fishing
    Boat Make:
    35 Bruno
    Does it have a memory card, probably? If so, I would start by taking out the card and cleaning the contacts to the memory card. I use a clean pencil eraser. Nothing too aggressive. Just rub the eraser back and forth enough to clean up the contact.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Try Bartenders eraser trick on the contacts of the card, which would be a C-MAP 4D card. If still no chart detail, could be an issue with the card or card reader. To confirm there's at least data on the card (still could be corrupted), you can pop it into a PC and check to see if the card is blank. Either way, feel free to drop me a PM with your contact info if the eraser trick doesn't work and I can put you on the right track with C-Map and Furuno.

That said, there is quite a difference between the GP1670 and GP7000, and usually the plate doesn't lie. Here are pics of both.. pick 'em out of the lineup so we know exactly what you're up against.

GP 1670

[​IMG]
    GP7000
    [​IMG]

4. Bern

Bern Member

Carpenter
    Boat Make:
    Muscle Ridge 28
    Hi there, it is most definitely the GP 7000, thank you very much for your help! I'll be back to the boat on Monday pm and will check it out and let you folks know!

Bern,
  5. Bern

Bern Member

Carpenter
    Boat Make:
    Muscle Ridge 28
    Thank you Bartender and Wharf Rat ! I've owned the boat for a year and didn't realize all of the detail that was missing. It works great now.

Bern,