Garmin 94SV with SideVu - Radar8

RockBottomFish

Boat Make
BHM
Looking at outfitting an 18 footer. Considering the Garmin 94SV. Will be fishing from 1- 150 feet. Does anyone have experience with this unit?
How is the sidevu picture?
Does sidevu work while making way?
Can i interface Radar with this unit or do i need to add another head or pick different head?

Would Raymarine or other be a better solution?

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Can't use radar with anything but a Garmin 'GPSMAP' series, so EchoMap's don't qualify, which is why they're so much less dough.

On the SideVu question, were you going to get a pair of transducers? With that BHM's keel, you would really need paired kit to see in both directions without shadowing. Unfortunately, Garmin's non-Panoptix (don't ask, expensive) don't have any gyro-stabilization which causes those side-imaging transducers to melt the images together when trolling and if you're on the hook/drift in any wind.. They were originally designed for fresh water.

Honestly, I would say Raymarine would currently your best solution as they are the only company out there that has had a proven product with their Axiom/Axiom Pro series with the RealVision transducers, but I would need to know more about the other species you plan on marking using a 'traditional' echo sounder function to ID the frequency needed for the transducer. While Furuno has their DFF3D system, that's a TOTALLY different animal that is not in the same conversation of what we're talking about here, which is getting high resolution images of the port/starboard sides without having spend $3500 in black boxes/transducers before even talking about displays or a computer. Not to mention, you'd probably have to cut a chunk out of the keel to mount that Furuno sonar sensor.

Talk soon, sorry for getting side tracked! Drop me a line via PM with your number and a good time to talk on the phone!

RockBottomFish

Boat Make
BHM
Wharf Rat, hope all is well with you and yours. The Garmin setup is for an 18 Tripp. Was considering the 54 series transom mount. The furuno is on my radar for the BHM at some point. When i pull the trigger for the BHM i would more than likely notxh the transom. Knowing now that we are talking about the Tripp, your tho3on the Garmin? Sorry i did not mention this earlier.

RockBottomFish

Boat Make
BHM
Can't use radar with anything but a Garmin 'GPSMAP' series, so EchoMap's don't qualify, which is why they're so much less dough.

On the SideVu question, were you going to get a pair of transducers? With that BHM's keel, you would really need paired kit to see in both directions without shadowing. Unfortunately, Garmin's non-Panoptix (don't ask, expensive) don't have any gyro-stabilization which causes those side-imaging transducers to melt the images together when trolling and if you're on the hook/drift in any wind.. They were originally designed for fresh water.

Honestly, I would say Raymarine would currently your best solution as they are the only company out there that has had a proven product with their Axiom/Axiom Pro series with the RealVision transducers, but I would need to know more about the other species you plan on marking using a 'traditional' echo sounder function to ID the frequency needed for the transducer. While Furuno has their DFF3D system, that's a TOTALLY different animal that is not in the same conversation of what we're talking about here, which is getting high resolution images of the port/starboard sides without having spend $3500 in black boxes/transducers before even talking about displays or a computer. Not to mention, you'd probably have to cut a chunk out of the keel to mount that Furuno sonar sensor.

Talk soon, sorry for getting side tracked! Drop me a line via PM with your number and a good time to talk on the phone!

Left you a PM.

Top Bottom