GOM Groundfish 2014 regs

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by Cdux, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

2. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    Hahahahaha welcome to the club bitches.... Now you guy will pay for going over your tac. You can thank jane

timfish, jon3030 and Badlatitude like this.
  3. MASTERENEGADE

MASTERENEGADE Captain

Boat Make:
    Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
    Ouch on the Haddock. I know it doesnt effect me here in LI, but still a big OUCH

4. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Cod should be 2 per person per day :evil:

jon3030 and googinhater like this.
  5. breakaway

breakaway Senior Member

Just curious, why should cod be 2 fish? The science is ass backwards in Washington. The Rec fisherman don't put a dent in the ground fish stocks. Yet, it's ok for the offshore draggers to rape and pillage 16" snapper haddock and the midwater trawlers to pillage more by-catch undersized haddock than all the rec guys combined. It's absolute nonsense

6. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

BECAUSE REC WENT 300% OVER THEIR QUOTA. Yet we get pounded in the ass commercial. Comm fish feed people across the whole country. Its not your resource or mine. Its every ones. Why should recs and charters get 9 fish per person? The stocks are really low as it is. I saw over fishing destroy my area. Loose rec regs did it. I fished em too. It was a bonanza but now its fubar.

jim, petrel, Prdlobster and 2 others like this.
  7. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    If you want to go there the offshore hadock stock is so big on gorges that theres no feed for it us draggers need to thin this mass of hadock. So now cod the rec fishermen have been catching so much cod that there 300% over on there total alowable catch for the year the dragger have to hold 10% of there tac for the year so we dont go over. So if you want to get more in depth pm me yes in a dragger man yes i came from a charter backround but in the gom there is more rec boats then dragger the fleet is gone there is olny a few left lets save the fish so we can eat local fish and not inport shit

8. breakaway

breakaway Senior Member

I don't disagree we need cuts. However, there are more rec/party guys now because of the demise of the commercial fleet. I respectfully disagree with the science on all levels. 300% over? I am not buying it. I also feel that rec and commercial should join as one and put our resources together to take this battle on. Fighting with one another helps Jane, not our cause. I come from a family of fishermen. Lots of which I assume responsible for over fishing.

9. duxbait

duxbait Captain

Fisherman
    Sure would be nice if Rec and Commercial agreed, but that is like communism. Sounds good in theory, but in reality will never work!

10. cpt.josh

cpt.josh Member

Boat Make:
    26'6 Prokat Badkittytoo
    The MRIPS are so ****ed up its ridiculous they screwed everyone with last years surveys. It's piss poor science.we're taking it in the ass on the charter head boat side for Black Sea bass as well.

11. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

There is something to both sides of the argument . How about this : I understand that there allowing 16" haddock to be taken commercially because many fish this size become bycatch and discarded dead anyway but, what's wrong with the way we're fishing them if we're destroying fish in this class before they can even reproduce ?
    Not sustainable ?

12. MASTERENEGADE

MASTERENEGADE Captain

Boat Make:
    Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
    I agree. If you were to ask the recs and commerical fisherman to join forces then you would have to promise the recs 50% of all qoutas n fish. Not gonna happen.

13. breakaway

breakaway Senior Member

For a Rec guy, I wouldn't want 50%. Any Rec guy who is that far off the reservation has other issues. I just enjoy my time on the water, wether it be Cod/Haddock. Bass/blues or the elusive Charlie....I don't know why we can't work together for a common goal so we can all spend more time doing what we love.

Go B's!!

14. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Handgear B is 75 lbs per trip. Hand geat A is what 300 lb per trip? Wtf does a 6 pack plus cap and mate take? 72 fish.... thats a 720lb average! If ur catching little shits and not culling.

MDI45, CSFISH and jim like this.
  15. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    That is the problem numbers do not add up. According to the BS Data that is bringing this on, in 2012 there were 95,890 private angler trips made and in 2013 jumped to 143, 336 trips. This must be on the low cost of gasoline and diesel LOL. The charter boats had 34, 159 angler trips in 2012 but dropped to 13,330 trips in 13 all while the private boat trips skyrocketed.

In 2012 the haddock Total catch was 113, 659 fish and in 2013 dropped to 75, 695 fish. Remember this includes discards.

In 2012 the private anglers landed 183, 296 fish and in 2013 landed 389, 589. Talk about total BS on the data.

As far as FU guys by the comms nice attitude. Remember we were all landing plenty of fish with daily trip limits prior to catch shares which many big comms wanted so they could be the pigs taking all of the fish and sucking money out of the smaller sector boats pockets by leasing thier quota.

Admit it, catch shares destroyed what was nearly rebuilt in the GOM especially on Stellwagen Bank. The managers have mismanaged the stocks resulting in the demise of the fishery.

The fish are a public resource and the private angler who goes on his own boat or on a charter has a right to nine cod which has been dropped from the days of unlimited. Even though the bag limit is unlimited on haddock we had very few legal size recreational fish landed last year. We landed plenty of haddock between 16" and 21" which all had to be thrown back and were LEGAL commercial fish.

Now lets not forget about the midwater boats which had an estimated 243 Metric tons of short haddock as bycatch. Apparently many of you have no problem with this as they are commercial so it is OK.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but the BS about being over the allocation by over 250% for haddock and 150% for cod is crap. Not one commercial fisherman said a word about it till they learned that it resulted in them not being eligible to have thier carry over from the 2013 fishing year moved to the 2014 year. No one said anything but this week they went to the coucil meeting to speak out saying the rec numbers are bad data. It was fine when we were over but now it is not because it effects them financially.

I have always supported commercial fishing but I will not support the attitude every fish belongs to the comms, that is a bunch of crap. Also for those comms who bad mouth the rec industry and take charters please turn in your charter/party multi species permit and go back to dragging or netting.

OK, I need a beer, have a great weekend.

Dave

breakaway, duxbait, Duke and 3 others like this.
  16. Jay c

Jay c Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31' Duffy
    Well said Dave.

17. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    I like the post Dave. My favorite part about your post and my personal pe peave is the wreckless, some how justified abuse of the haddock bycatch. Somewhere someplace there is an asshole or two who should be horse whipped for allowing that. Nothing short of a travesty.Commercial guys have had the living shit beat out of them and we all know it. If a commercial fisherman in New England were an animal PETA would have had the federal government thrown in prison for abuse. I beleve that most of them are simply frustrated and are somewhat happy that the pain is being less focused on them and a little more spread out.
    Catch shares accomplished what they were set out to do by that c**t Jane Lubchenko but let us not forget who she got her marching orders from. He was elected twice and I am sure that there are some people on this board that supported and still support him. I do not care to get into a political discussion about him as it has not gone well for some in the past but certain facts are facts. Sure would like to have that "expensive"($1.98) gas back like when the other guys was in there though

18. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale
    Right on Mike !
    **** Jane and **** her former boss !!!

19. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    Mike,

Things were so good prior catch shares as everyone had decent landings. We all know wahat caused it and as I said I am pro commercial except when a certain few beat the recs up because they feel all the fish belong to them. Bag limits are numbers and nothing more. Just because a bag linit is nine cod does not mean every trip the customer goes home with nine each trip. I guess if they feel that way than the commercial tuna fleet must all catch three GBF tuna each time they leave the dock.

I am very disgusted with what has transpired and there is no need for a few to try to take it out on the rec sector. The charter industry also has many of the same expenses such as safety gear rafts etc even though not required. A responsible captain most likely has that gear and it needs to be inspected. We see many commercial guys taking charter trips today and it pisses me off that they slam the recs while they have no problem taking money from anglers.

The state of the fishery is sad and it was caused by Jane and her coherts including the EDF etc. Now we will battle for the proposed 55 NM closure on Stellwagen Bank to remain open because once they get a piece they will not stop util it is a bog no fish zone. Not only for recs but all fishing including tuna.

OK, enough for now and I hope you have a slammer season on the stand.

Dave

offshore31 and Raider Ronnie like this.
  20. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale
    Pretty pathetic what the powers to be have done with the fishery.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the name Cape Cod is because of the cod fish and the cod fish was considered currency payment for goods from all over the world in early times.
    These ****ing wacko environmentalist & assholes in power may as well get some legislation started to change the name from Cape Cod to Cape Dog Fish, Cape Seal or Cape ****ing Piping Plover !