GOM Groundfish 2014 regs

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by Cdux, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Regulator23

Regulator23 Senior Member

Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    32 Holland
    Not me. I hate the guy and all f'n liberals. I just read the regs tonight. I'm really stunned. I'm a 100% recreational angler that tries gets out on the water one day a weekend if im lucky. I always look forward to cod fishing in sept and oct. In addition i find it really hard to believe that rec anglers damage to overall environmental ecosystem and therefore have a significant impact on the overall stock. I really empathize with the charter guys. I know commercial guys have had a rough go of it but you can not have biomass buy catch yoy over yoy and not decimate a stock or an ecosystem as a whole. Having said all that it's time to work together and create a solution. As the saying goes if you not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Right now it's Jane.

2. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

We shitty as it sounds there is an easy solution. Eliminate the by catch producing fisheries. Too bad they are the ones with the big money to grease the right palms.

3. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale

By catch is part of the problem but also consider the fact that No hook on the bottom of a cod jig, No gill net or long line has ever done the damage to the ocean floor and it's habitat that a dragger does, especially when your gov allows dozens of them go 24-7 over & over the same patch of bottom like Stellwagen Bank.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. coddock

coddock Senior Member

What he said... PERIOD!!!

5. Overkill

Overkill Senior Member

Comm. Fishing
    Boat Make:
    44 Calvin Beal
    Wow. Every post should have a dislike button also. Funny how it's always the other guys fault.

6. Brakeforhake

Brakeforhake Senior Member

its about the ecosystem

the agency is too stupid to realize you cant manage fish stocks individually looking at each fishery under a magnifying glass without looking at the ecosystem as a whole. Its not always the other guys fault but to say that hook and line fisherman have much of an impact on any fishery is ignorant. I am pro commercial fisherman all they way but how can they justify the herring fishery when our groundfish and tuna stocks are so low? how can they explain opening up marine sanctuary's to large draggers? I feel like our fisheries are being managed by a dumb greedy child.

7. F/V Bad Influence

F/V Bad Influence Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wayne Beal
    Don't forget that the atlantic spiney dogfish was/is overfished.. their science was/is so bad...
    Ronnie..they are NOT enveronmentalists..they are OBSTRUCTIONIST's

Tom

8. Brakeforhake

the seals dude

what about the seals? they are eating everything. Lets protect the seals, cormorants, dogfish, and all the other bullshit. Look at the picture right now pretty much sums up our fisheries mis-management. The bullshit is thriving and protected, the forage species are being raped by all the bullshit predators and us. Wish I was that chris fischer guy or some other douch with a billion dollars, I would sue NMFS for degradation of fisheries and win! easy win. One could not screw it up more if they were trying! how there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against the fisheries service bewilders me. There disregard for habitat and forage of desirable species can only be explained as a fraud. Lets manage the groundfish and tuna by ****ing up their habitat and food source BRILLIANT

jon3030 likes this.
  9. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

That about sums it up Brakeforhake ..........

10. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Same thing happened down here in LIS with fluke and flounder. Ny draggers pounded the migrating schools. recs ( me included) took flounder by the 5 gallon bucket full and the cormorant population exploded. Those little ****ers will swallow a 10 in winter flounder and then dive again for another one!

11. Brakeforhake

oh yea

I live on the fishing police state/toilet that is long island. Its great where I live the bay is a cesspool filled with cormorants and seals. Our local sewer plant has been broken for years and when you try to go fishing they treat you like a criminal! Our party and charter boats can keep two flounder per person and cant retain a fluke till the 17th of may, but the sewer plant keeps spewing sewage and the bay is a ****ing cormorant seal festival. They will regulate the small charter or party guy right out of the business, but let the nuisance species thrive and the habitat degradation continue, Just like all that live bottom on stellwagon that was plowed over the first spring they let the draggers in, or the midwater boats raping the herring with no regard to the tuna fishery.

12. F/V Bad Influence

Boat Make:
    Wayne Beal
    any reports to how the meeting in Plymouth went last night? Nov 25 th.

13. F/V Bad Influence

Boat Make:
    Wayne Beal
    this week New Bedford and Gloucester on Wed. BE there!

14. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    At the Plymouth meeting there were over 125 in attendance and we certainly hope to have more at tomorrow's night meeting, Wednesday, December 17th from 6:00 - 8:00 at the Gloucester Cruiseport. This meeting is the public hearing for the Habitat Amendment proposals by the New England Fishery Management Council. One of the most critical proposals is to close 55 Square Nautical Miles on Stellwagen Bank to Recreational Ground Fishing. This was drafted by the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary and if passed will be the first step of closing more areas and than eventually most if not all of Stellwagen Bank to fishing including recreational, commercial and tuna fishing.

If you think you are not affected by this because you do not groundfish in that area, think again. The Sanctuary has a long term plan of Sanctuary expansion into Jeffrys Ledge and once again take huge areas of our historical tuna fishing grounds.

Throughout the country these sanctuaries have continued to expand, we need you there and get up to the microphone and tell them you do not support the DHRA (Designated Habitat Research Area) and request NO ACTION. It does no one any good to go and just sit there.

Who is going, speak up and let everyone know, if planning on attending post up and please pass cut and paste this post and pass on to friends, family and fellow fisherman.

Capt Dave

El Mar likes this.
  15. offshore31

offshore31 Captain

Capt Dave, thanks for the info. I can't make the meeting, so how can my voice be heard? Is there an email address that I can send a message to?

regards
    Joe

16. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    Joe,
    The Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association will be placing a link on their website where you can click and send in a standard letter for the private angler. We recommend though that you modify it and put into your own words. Letters in individuals own words or comments seem to carry more weight but not everyone can take the time to do write in so we will have this to make it easy for anglers and boat owners.

The deadline for comments is January 8th and we hope to have a link up and running by Wednesday. Also please feel free to pass on to friends, families and other anglers once set up.

We appreciate your help and have a good day.

Respectfully,
    Dave

17. offshore31

offshore31 Captain

thanks for the info, i'll pass it along to my friends

18. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    I will pass it along as well Dave and look forward to your link. Thanks

19. CaptDave