Great White fatality

Downrigga

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
A woman swimming in Harpswell ME was attacked and killed by a GW this afternoon. She died at the scene. Terrible news. Anyone know more about this story?

Vahn

Dont swim when the water is murky, otherwise they leave you alone. There are many factors that prevent or contribute to attacks. I would be curious to understand what the conditions and water clarity was like. Google William Winram, a freediver who interacts with Great Whites and other sharks with no cage and when they are not already manipulated by us humans. Also, he expects the encounters and knows how to react versus surface swimming. Environment and conditions are big factors when this happens. The common perception is that they are a problem, the reality is how we affect their behavior and environment is a greater problem. Yes they are fierce, no they dont intentionally attack humans and this is very unfortunate. I feel for her family and friends and for this person who liked the sea enough to be in it.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Downrigga

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Dont swim when the water is murky, otherwise they leave you alone. There are many factors that prevent or contribute to attacks. I would be curious to understand what the conditions and water clarity was like. Google William Winram, a freediver who interacts with Great Whites and other sharks with no cage and when they are not already manipulated by us humans. Also, he expects the encounters and knows how to react versus surface swimming. Environment and conditions are big factors when this happens. The common perception is that they are a problem, the reality is how we affect their behavior and environment is a greater problem. Yes they are fierce, no they dont intentionally attack humans and this is very unfortunate. I feel for her family and friends and for this person who liked the sea enough to be in it.
I dont by the notion they leave you alone if the water is not murky. Could that one factor contribute to an attack, sure. A young man was bitten in half here not long ago. Water is not murky. These things are everywhere here in Chatham. They swim in groups there are so many. Its just a matter of time before someone else is killed. Way too many people in the water and its only getting worse.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
I have been expecting to see a GW in the area. With the number of seals that haul out on Googins Ledge, there must be some sharks that come in to poke around. Shame about the woman who lost her life, what a terrible way to go.

CapeCodNorton

Lite User
Boat Make
23 Crowley Beal

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Fishnjess

It’s a tragedy it is really is sad. Unfortunately, it’s their domain. Seal control is the real answer. I remember back in the late 90’s, A political organization (no politics, so I’m leaving that out)used a video clip of a drunken sealer from Labrador missing a lot with his tool. This organization used it to chisel away at the seal pelt trade and because of it they have exploded in number along the coast. Big sharks eat them. Maybe change the behaviors of the shark for the safety of people, only sell wetsuits in odd colors, peach, turquiose, orange? IMHO, the wet suit thing was just for fun!

Jjammer

Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
It’s true that the seal population has exploded and that’s the driver. When I was kid In the 80s I hardly saw seals...now I see 50+ a day in Pen Bay.

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
I also checked out the tracks last night, I could not believe how far north they went. I thought Maine was the northern extent of their travel. Apparently not! I wonder what the heck they are chomping on up in the north country? Beluga whales?

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Underdog11

Lite User
Boat Make
33 YB sold

flatcat

I've spent a good amount of time this season yakin in the same area where it happened. It gives you an interesting perspective when your seat is below the water line. I haven't seen much for seals, but there is a crazy amount of bait this year.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom