Haddock teasers

stripersnax

Boat Make
1973 Seacraft
I am getting ready to try some haddock fishing on Stellwagon Bank this year and was wonder what color and hook size teasers work good on the bank.
Thanks

Beamie

If your going in April when the haddock are up on the bank in 90' of water and thick you don't need much. Even a bare shinny hook will work.

When I make my bait rigs I like to use the 6/0 eagle claw bait hooks. These have 2 barbs on the shank to hold bait better. Some use clams. But if the macs are around get 30 macks, fillet, and make mackerel strips for bait. 2 hook rigs, bank weight a/r for drift. I put some tubing on my bait rig on the dropper loop, flo red, green yellow, orange etc. I use mono left over from an old reel, 60-80 #

30-06guy

I agree with what both of these guys have said. One thing is if the fish are very finicky and just nibbling and not taking the bait well, I will drop down to a nice sharp 4/0 hook. Just put a little bait on the very tip. Just enough to cover the point and barb. The fish prety much hook themselves when they suck in that little piece of bait. As for teasers I have had good luck with pink as well as orange and green.

Good luck . It won't be long before the season gets underway .

Rob

stripersnax

Boat Make
1973 Seacraft
Beamie I thought the haddock where deeper around 200 ft of water. so I stay on top of the bank not off the bank? Good to know. Sounds like the same type of rig we use for sea bass in the sound. No need for floro?
Thanks. See you on the Bank.

Beamie

Do yourself a favor. Plan your trip early in the the year, say before June. That is when haddock are still on top of the bank. As the summer heats up they will move into 260 or so. Last year they actually moved back up on the bank late summer.

Go fishing in mid May, you will see the boats...............

Shadman78

Anything bubble gum color works the best up on the bank. Simple rigs are the best.

Haddock

Boat Make
23' Maritime Marine Voyageur
Bubble gum shrimp have always been my go to for haddock teasers with 6-0 circle hooks with minimal clam bait on the drop. I use green and yellow tubes on the bait hooks from Seawolfe tackle; last couple of years have yielded the biggest haddock that I have seen in years.

Tunatown

Captain
Boat Make
36 H&H CAT 3126B 420hp
A good place to get tackle cheep for bass and bottom fishing and shark gear is catch all tackle they have all the tubing hooks swivels line leader glow beads cool stuff to mess around with the 3 inch squid teasers work good also glow tubing works awesome I buy tubing from them and use stainless hooks to make my own mackerel rigs hold up all season