Hard chines 26 and under.

fish yourself

What boats had hard chines and are 26 and under...

Looking for something that drifts well, Deck stays dry(scuppers above water line), all glass below waterline, and has a wide beam...

Eastporter

Captain
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Fortier 26, Webbers Cove 26/22 (modified lifting rails), Seaway 26 (old school hull not made anymore),

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26

Looking for something that drifts well, Deck stays dry(scuppers above water line), all glass below waterline, and has a wide beam...
Fortier 26 hits all of the above except they are cored below the waterline. (Entire hull is cored) The coring is airex I think. Definitely not balsa and is not a problem.

Dr Dude

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28
Verrrrry interesting question.......I think I can help you with this actual real life experience......
We owned a Bruno 35 sportfish and had it in MONTAUK (my fav place) where we would drift in the rips for fluke.
Drifting through the rips caused that very lovely boat to roll so badly that the closets and drawers would open and spill stuff out onto the floor and any thing that wasn't tied down or stabilized would wind up somewhere else.
We sold the Bruno and had a Fortier 26 built.
We had the Fortier 26 in MONTAUK (my fav place) and were drifting the rips for fluke.....my kids saw the rip coming up and grabbed on to whatever and never realized that we had gone through the rip....
I hope this expletive has some help to your question.....
You can beat a rug, You can beat an egg, You can beat a drum BUT you can't beat a FORTIER !!!!!

AND it's cored correctly.....Had my 26 for 32 years and never regretted one minute of it !!!!!!!!!!!!

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
I always had my heart set on a Dyer 29. Basically same experience as the Dr. After sitting on that rolling Dyer for an afternoon I was cured. Had the Fortier for 16 years. Never a regret. Will have another one someday. Beautiful / solid 26.

Genius

Captain
I always had my heart set on a Dyer 29. Basically same experience as the Dr. After sitting on that rolling Dyer for an afternoon I was cured. Had the Fortier for 16 years. Never a regret. Will have another one someday. Beautiful / solid 26.
I drove a few dyer 29s, wasn’t impressed either. They are nice to look at IMO.

Capt. Bob

I drove a few dyer 29s, wasn’t impressed either. They are nice to look at IMO.
I had a Privateer 24' in Montauk (my favorite place) for many years. I know...it's not a Down Easter BUT it is a great hard chined boat that costs FAR LESS than any of the boats mentioned. It is also one of the most stable 24' boats in existence, well made, strong, tracks straight as an arrow, is great on fuel AND has far more deck space than any of the Down Easters in it's size class. I grew up in Amityville, L.I. on the water (Great South Bay) and have owned and worked on many boats. I have owned three Privateers 18', 21', 24' (cabin) and 18' Pointer. The Privateer's are still my favorite small boat!

Capt. Bob

See my reply about Privateer boats, above.

Grayghost37

Boat Make
Rosborough 22 Cabin
Capt Bob, I also had a Pointer 18' about 40 years ago. Great little boat for the coast, but got the snot kicked out of us here on Champlain with the short, nasty chop that comes up regularly. VT Fish & Wildlife had one as well and had the same issues. I also had a Privateer 24' cabin used for Hydroacoustic work & Charter fishing on Champlain. Sweet boat, I agree

Capt. Bob

Capt Bob, I also had a Pointer 18' about 40 years ago. Great little boat for the coast, but got the snot kicked out of us here on Champlain with the short, nasty chop that comes up regularly. VT Fish & Wildlife had one as well and had the same issues. I also had a Privateer 24' cabin used for Hydroacoustic work & Charter fishing on Champlain. Sweet boat, I agree
Grayghost 37,
Good luck with your search. I like down-Easters, nothing looks nicer in fact they are the nicest looking boats, bar none.. They all do not ride or act well in in a following sea. No boat is perfect. I am happy now with my 18' Privateer, great bay boat. I run party (head) boats and do not have mush time to boat recreationally.

speedwagon

I had a Privateer 24' in Montauk (my favorite place) for many years. I know...it's not a Down Easter BUT it is a great hard chined boat that costs FAR LESS than any of the boats mentioned. It is also one of the most stable 24' boats in existence, well made, strong, tracks straight as an arrow, is great on fuel AND has far more deck space than any of the Down Easters in it's size class. I grew up in Amityville, L.I. on the water (Great South Bay) and have owned and worked on many boats. I have owned three Privateers 18', 21', 24' (cabin) and 18' Pointer. The Privateer's are still my favorite small boat!
My 24 privateer just never felt safe in the ocean south shore west end LI. You’d get bucked off if you weren’t holding onto something and Inlets were scary. I’d be exhausted from 4 hours of fishing. That said they are great boats and well built and I’d own one again just use it more as a bay boat.

Grayghost37

Boat Make
Rosborough 22 Cabin
Grayghost 37,
Good luck with your search. I like down-Easters, nothing looks nicer in fact they are the nicest looking boats, bar none.. They all do not ride or act well in in a following sea. No boat is perfect. I am happy now with my 18' Privateer, great bay boat. I run party (head) boats and do not have mush time to boat recreationally.
Actually Bob, I'm not in the search mode. I've been quite happy in the 22' Rosborough Cabin I've had for the past 7 yrs. It's a great boat to Salmon fish out of here on Champlain and the cabin extends the season for as long as the ice holds off. A Mr Heater Big Buddy helps too! This was one of the Nova Scotia built before Eastern got the mold. Kinda like when Pointer sold their molds and it became known as the Disappointer. Why can't they just leave a good thing alone.

Top Bottom