Head options

DashBaas

Hi all,

In my search for a DE boat in the 30-34’ range I am finding about half of them don’t have a head. If we settle on a boat that we love but doesn’t have a head already installed...what would be your go-to brands and or kits? Open to ANY suggestions, even the composting heads.

thanks in advance!
Shenton
After 25 years a boating in the PNW and encountering all of the issues, hassles and problems with a marine head, holding tank, hoses, rebuilds, odor etc, when it came time to choose a toilet system for my custom Mercedes van I went with a composting toilet. I will never install another kind of system in either an RV or a boat. In fact I'm shopping for a new boat now, and whatever kind of head it has I will take it out and install a C Head compostimg toilet. On another note I would love to own a Downeast style vessel. They are hard to come by out here on the west coast. Too bad for us.

Pepper2

Yes - must be always on but consumes very little power - and I have a small solar charging array. I wouldn’t worry with any reasonable starting/house battery config. Special bonus - I was able to fill 2 through hulls...
We have one and a solar vent woks great as the fan! No issues! Love the composting head. Never look back at the pump out boat or dock!

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Pete H

Boat Make
Rosborough RF-246
@DashBaas and @Pepper2. How many people use it and how often is someone going #2 in it?

On a Saturday in the summer I am rafted up and I bet the head gets flushed 15 times in one day and suspect 90% of that is not #2 lol. Can’t imagine these composting toilets could process that much input... am I wrong? I would expect them to excel with 2 people using the head 2-3 times a day each
The AirHead (and probably others) have designs that separate and direct urine to a separate container that holds about 1/2 gallon and can easily be detached and emptied anywhere. Really easy - and clean to do

Pepper2

There are 3 of us. The composting heads separate the wet from the solids. Given the holding tank on our boat could not support 3 for a weekend, the composting is great!

Genius

Vice Admiral
I'm sure it's one of the many generic ones you typically see. Lots of people love them for general ventilation in the cabin without the composting head. It was also noted in the installation manual.

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 08.19.21.png

Genius

Vice Admiral
I read the install manual for the AirHead that was mentioned. They have a straight shot to the overhead and a 90 degree fitting also. Lots of pictures and information on their site.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make

Pepper2

there are all kinds of forums out there on composting heads.. they say yes, and I do not see why not.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make

BKay

I'm real happy with a Natures Head and I wouldn't hesitate to do an Airhead either! Having urine go overboard directly would be a plus, though.

Jjammer

Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
“Piss” lol. It is what it is haha.
Haha well plumbing it right ova would be nice...I just go out the scuppers but the gals aren’t as into that.

The issue is how to the piss jar at/below the water line over the side without a pump...and of course do you have to maintain the appearance of a holding tank and y valve.

Ditchdigger

Captain
5 gal. Spackle bucket . When things get real bad, throw in a leaf bag as a liner. Spackle bucket is usually free on construction sites. Leaf bag = about 26 cents. You can get the high end home Depot 5 gal. bucket, which will drive the price up considerably from free. Brick or about 2 lbs. of rocks are a must and are free at any construction site.
A word of warning ! Never, and I mean Never open a used spackle bucket with a lid on it !!! How do I know this ???

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
Top Bottom