Hello and Advice

joelucci33

Website
www.nepoutdoors.com
hello seems like a cool forum hopefully it takes off!

I dont have a down east but ive been trying to sell my current vessel so I can get into one...I have Mako 293 fully rigged for tuna...Its a great boat...fast..but come end of sept oct and nov. when the sea's get rough she doesnt handle as well as it seems the Downeast hulls do...any insight on what to look for when shopping for a down east boat?

admin

Administrator
joelucci33 said:
hello seems like a cool forum hopefully it takes off!

I dont have a down east but ive been trying to sell my current vessel so I can get into one...I have Mako 293 fully rigged for tuna...Its a great boat...fast..but come end of sept oct and nov. when the sea's get rough she doesnt handle as well as it seems the Downeast hulls do...any insight on what to look for when shopping for a down east boat?
Joe.. I look at these boats everyday.. I would either look for something in the 30-35 range with a newer diesel or possibly one that needs a new motor and start fresh with a new motor.. 20 knots will do it .. Under 28ft I would put a gas motor in it for price consideration.. Unless you are fishing it every day.. In terms of boat names to look for just go on yachtworld .. Craigslist.. And midcoast yachts and do a search for lobster or Downeast .. There are a lot of guys getting put of lobstering right now and you can find something for a decent price.. Don't dick around with the fiberglass over wood boats they are just a bunch of problems.. google some of the boat brands that are on this site.. Oh ya another one is the mass lobstermens buy/sell/swap page seen at lobstermen.com.. There is also billyoliverboats.com in cohasset Ma.. Give him a call and he might have something that he hasn't listed yet that is a good deal.. Bottom line.. Downeast boats are a timeless design and will never go out of style.. The demand is high and the supply is low so you will always get good money if you buy a Downeast and decide to sell it a few years later.. Unlike some POS searay which will just lose you money and they are a dime a dozen

steveinak

Captain
Boat Make
31 BHM
joelucci33 said:
thanks for the advice! any diesel brands I should say away from? also what is "twin disc gear"
Here's my 2 cents worth on diesels, most diesels these days are pretty good but watch out for what replacement parts, filters and other maintenance parts cost, volvo's and yanmars parts are sky high. The problem with most diesels isn't the engine themselves its life is directly connected to how far the red knob on the dash is pushed forward, run them hard and they don't last long. My opinion comes from 41 years of commercial fishing. Twin disc is the brand name of marine transmissions.

jawz

Boat Make
23 sea craft - 31 bertram
steveinak said:
joelucci33 said:
thanks for the advice! any diesel brands I should say away from? also what is "twin disc gear"
Here's my 2 cents worth on diesels, most diesels these days are pretty good but watch out for what replacement parts, filters and other maintenance parts cost, volvo's and yanmars parts are sky high. The problem with most diesels isn't the engine themselves its life is directly connected to how far the red knob on the dash is pushed forward, run them hard and they don't last long. My opinion comes from 41 years of commercial fishing. Twin disc is the brand name of marine transmissions.

now that's some good advice right there !

speed costs money - bottom line
the harder the engine's are ran,the shorter they last.propping for the correct rpm is imperative - the engine has to spin it's rated rpm,if not,it's over loaded - the life is greatly reduced.

most commercial boats have "down rated" engines,meaning,the enginse are a lower hp rating that the pleasure craft rating - the lower the hp rating,means the engine's not being pushed for everything it has.example - a 5.9 cummins engine,it has a rating all the way from 210hp,to 370 hp - the 210hp version,will last much longer than the 370 version...

very true concerning parts - volvo's,they're green - same color as money...coincedince ?

admin

Administrator
Yup those 5.9 cummins can blast out a lot of HP.. go on any dodge ram diesel site and you will find those guys get all sorts of HP using tuners, chips, exhaust, injectors etc.. couldnt agree more..I like everything stock.. I figure that cummins has a little more experience with these things than some rinky dink company who makes all of the HP upgrades.. Personally I dont like the volvos at all for 3 reasons. the cost for parts is ridiculous.. I bought one off craigslist for a boat I bought..it was I think a 30tamd?..weighed a ton and come to find out it was only like 130hp.. I went on ebaymotors to find a turbo for it and a USED one was $750.. thank you!..I like the caterpillars but they dont have liners so if you want to rebuild it its a lot more money..my personal opinion is John Deere or Cummins...I also have worked on the old detriots and they are really simple running motors without a bunch of electronic bullshit but they are louder than loud

joelucci33

Website
www.nepoutdoors.com
my good friend owns a towing company and they have a 68 autocar wrecker with a detroit in her what i believ is an 871...when I tell you that truck will sit for a year through winter....give her a good pull with one of the other heavy dutys and she starts right up! and yes louddder than louder...truck is straight piped cant realy hold a conversation when shes running..but what a great engine....

I wasnt sure if they hold true to the samme reputation in the marine world

fishinwishin

westernsoundcharters said:
Im in Market as well....Anyone know about TJ hull vs. Calvin Beal or a Duffy? handh please comment http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/H% ... ted-States
Hi Mike,

As most boaters will tell you, There is no such thing as a perfect boat. The thing to do is find a boat that will perform for you they way you want it to the most. All 3 of your choices have excellent qualities. I own a Duffy so I am partcial to it. If I couldn.'t have a Duffy I would probably choose the Calvin Bea in a 34/35' range, That is what I would want because ..I know what I want :D. There are also more choices in that range. I wanted bigger so I got a bigger boat The 35 Duffy is for sale. What are you looking for in a boat? Speed, economy seaworthness, comfort. Do you have limitations to lenght, beam, draft or even engine?

fishinwishin

steveinak said:
joelucci33 said:

" filters and other maintenance parts cost, volvo's and yanmars parts are sky high"

One of the John Deere guys was surpised when he found out his JD oil filter was only a dollar less than the expencive Volvo filter. OEM is expensive . You have to get into the old engines to get cheap parts. But then The old Volvo parts are cheap too if you get what you can get from the auto parts store.

fishinwishin

jawz said:
steveinak said:
joelucci33 said:

now that's some good advice right there !

speed costs money - bottom line
the harder the engine's are ran,the shorter they last.propping for the correct rpm is imperative - the engine has to spin it's rated rpm,if not,it's over loaded - the life is greatly reduced.

most commercial boats have "down rated" engines,meaning,the enginse are a lower hp rating that the pleasure craft rating - the lower the hp rating,means the engine's not being pushed for everything it has.example - a 5.9 cummins engine,it has a rating all the way from 210hp,to 370 hp - the 210hp version,will last much longer than the 370 version...

very true concerning parts - volvo's,they're green - same color as money...coincedince ?

Well actually... Both are typical opinions but that is not really the story. If you get the right application of engine for your needs.. the engine should do what it is supposed to do.

A engine is rated by how many hrs per year it is intended to be used.

for example ( and I don't know what actual hrs hr but for example purpose) pleasure rating: 600 hrs per year and WOT up 20minutes in a 24hr period.

light commerial use: 1000 hrs per year and 80% throttle up to 1hr in a 24 hr period.

The turned down /d/tuned engines are for a countinues duty engine : 4000 hrs pr year , wot up to 4 hrs in a 24 hr period.

Where a engine is worn out/beat is using the engine they way it is not intended.

As for not pushing a pleasure rating engine red knob foward..Yes that is correct because you effectively turn the rating down to a continuos duty engine by way of throttle. If you know what your engine is rated and use it the way it is supposed to be used, you should get more than what the manufactures life expectancy out of the engine/s. The other point is failure due to lack of use.

jojobee

I like the small 100hp diesels in some of the under 30' range boats. It all depends on the boat. the old REPCO 30' is a narrow beam and performed great at 14-18 knots for example. This boat did not need a lot of HP and you often see them with a small gas engine. If you want a faster lobster boat, I like the newer wider variety. The newer wider boats are better tuna boats IMO too.

As for the diesels, we can not compare the old naturals a la 3208 at 210hp with a new higher speed diesel. All new diesels need to be run hard initially (first 50hours) to build up heat and seat the piston rings. If you are purchasing a non commercial duty engine they are designed to run at variable loads including high RPM's. The high rev's help prolong the life by burning off carbon on the exhaust valves and turbo.

Top Bottom