Helm position

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Dslpwr, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Hmmmmmo_O

Dslpwr likes this.
  2. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

Boat Make:
    44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
    Starboard helm lobster fishing allows a right handed person to steer with the left hand and handle the traps with his right hand.

3. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sisu
    Nothing to do with original intent of this thread, but I'll take port side helm over starboard side every day. if anyone notices, most launch service boats are port helm, I think because when you back down the stern will go to port, and for me (right handed) it'e easier to control the boat when maneuvering, to use the shift and throttle levers with my right hand while throwing a line on the cleat of a boat or dock, plus you're not guessing how far away from the objective you are. Could be wrong but port was originally called "larboard" which was often confused with starboard.

4. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    A properly set up boat will always back down to the side of the boat the helm is on. Today's transmissions can turn in either direction so it is no big deal. A starboard helm boat should have a left hand propeller and port helm boat should have a right hand propeller, this way the boat backs to the side the helm is on. Center helm all bets are off. Launches have a port side helm because the proper way to approach another boat is on the starboard side hence the launch will have a right hand propeller and back to port when approaching another boat and closest to the operator.

5. ARC

ARC Senior Member

Hydraulic service
    Boat Make:
    31’ eastern Casco Bay
    855E546A-53F2-4FFB-895F-E0F966BA5FA4.jpeg I never use a wheel . Mine has 6 turns and I have to either lean forward or stand. Not good for my back. Jog lever is the way to go.

ARC,
  6. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    what kind of jog lever is that ?

7. Dslpwr

Dslpwr Senior Member

Sales and service
    Boat Make:
    35' Mitchell Cove waiting to be laid up
    How does it work for a left or right handed mechanic? Diesel Jerry and I are wondering?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Diesel Jerry likes this.
  8. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    I sternmaned part time on a left handed boat. Hated every minute of it. The majority of working lobster boats out there are right handed. Dad has always gone a step further and put the shift lever in the right side of the controls so if you have your hand on a line you could reach the shift without bumbing the throttle.
    There is no wrong way to set up your boat. Set it up so it fits you.
    Don’t make a big deal about which way the boat pulls when backing up. Figure out which way it pulls and adjust accordingly.

steveinak and Kenneth like this.