Help me understand 50' down east hull differences.

GB Maine

Boat Make
33 Pettegrow , 17 Mauntauk
HI All,
I built a 33 Pettegrow back in 2014 and received great help on this forum then decided to go with it instead of the Holland 32 I had originally chosen, considering how I was going to use the vessel. We Tuna fish out to Plattts over night and do some week long cruises with our kids. We are looking for a larger Hull That can be a sport fish - cruiser. More fishy than Yachty, low maintenance. Grew up in Lincoln ME but only get to spend summers here these days for 6-8 weeks.

I am considering the 48 Duffy, potentially stretched to 52 or 56 to give more room in the cockpit, the 50 Wesmac, or one of the 47+ Beal Hulls. My wife wants a full bed up front for when we cruise.

Can anyone help me understand the big difference between the three Hulls - Wesmac - Duffy - Beal.

Dslpwr

Captain
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove waiting to be laid up
B2EAAE18-47F2-4DF0-9D39-612B5BE4E3D5.jpeg I have a customer that currently has a 50’Osmond and is building a 50’Wesmac, theses are lobster boats that fish year round. He went for a ride on a friends 50Wesmac in rough weather and was sold on it. The Wesmac is about 2.5 feet less in beam than Osmond which is 19’8””. If your interested in talking to him PM me and I’ll get you two in touch with each other. His Wesmac is currently 3/4 way through his build.

WoundUpMarine

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
26 Duffy, 14 Holland

Blitzen

Captain
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
The Wesmac hull design is much like a variable deadrise V hull with a keel, the Duffy is a built down hull design meaning a little deeper bottom to squeeze a engine below the deck and the Beal designs are skeg boats which means the bottoms tend to be a little shallower and flatter.
The Wesmac hull is a good sea boat that does very well in a head sea, it will tend to be harder to push and a less fuel efficient than the others.
The Duffy is a good all around sea boat with soft round chines that pushes a little easier than the V bottoms and will not roll on the drift as much and tends to be better in following seas. A little more fuel efficient and easier to push.
The Beal or skeg designs are the easiest to push, and fuel efficient when keeping the speed down with the very large beam of these designs. Very stable on the drift but when pushed for speed can give a very hard ride.
As with any hull design they were designed for a specific purpose in mind for the commercial fisherman so each difference in design has it's pros and cons depending on how and where you use the boat. Along with what you want out of the boat. No one boat is perfect for everyone and it all comes down to the compromises you are willing to deal with.

GB Maine

Boat Make
View attachment 72340 I have a customer that currently has a 50’Osmond and is building a 50’Wesmac, theses are lobster boats that fish year round. He went for a ride on a friends 50Wesmac in rough weather and was sold on it. The Wesmac is about 2.5 feet less in beam than Osmond which is 19’8””. If your interested in talking to him PM me and I’ll get you two in touch with each other. His Wesmac is currently 3/4 way through his build.
It would be great to get in touch wiht him. I really appreciate the help. GB

GB Maine

Boat Make
The Wesmac hull design is much like a variable deadrise V hull with a keel, the Duffy is a built down hull design meaning a little deeper bottom to squeeze a engine below the deck and the Beal designs are skeg boats which means the bottoms tend to be a little shallower and flatter.
The Wesmac hull is a good sea boat that does very well in a head sea, it will tend to be harder to push and a less fuel efficient than the others.
The Duffy is a good all around sea boat with soft round chines that pushes a little easier than the V bottoms and will not roll on the drift as much and tends to be better in following seas. A little more fuel efficient and easier to push.
The Beal or skeg designs are the easiest to push, and fuel efficient when keeping the speed down with the very large beam of these designs. Very stable on the drift but when pushed for speed can give a very hard ride.
As with any hull design they were designed for a specific purpose in mind for the commercial fisherman so each difference in design has it's pros and cons depending on how and where you use the boat. Along with what you want out of the boat. No one boat is perfect for everyone and it all comes down to the compromises you are willing to deal with.
Captain Blitzen, I grew up in Lincoln Maine but moved to Hawaii 30 years ago. my first business there was a sport fishing business out of Lahaina Harbor. I am a licensed captain and owned and operated a 42 sportfish for years in my late 20's . Now I am 51, and in the construction business and have had a few pleasure fishing boats along the way. By no means a seasoned seaman but I am comfortable on the water. I love to be out at Platts bank for 2-3 days. But I don't like being out there in my 33'on the anchor with waver over 4' when it's blowing over 15 knots.
I want a vessel that I can be comfortable and safe on fishing and anchored up 50 miles off shore when it's 15-20 and 4-5', that can take me home in a following sea. I dream of spending days at George's bank.

I assume either of these wonderful hulls would likely do the job? your comments are appreciated.
GB Maine

GB Maine

Boat Make
View attachment 72340 I have a customer that currently has a 50’Osmond and is building a 50’Wesmac, theses are lobster boats that fish year round. He went for a ride on a friends 50Wesmac in rough weather and was sold on it. The Wesmac is about 2.5 feet less in beam than Osmond which is 19’8””. If your interested in talking to him PM me and I’ll get you two in touch with each other. His Wesmac is currently 3/4 way through his build.
Who is finishing this current build? Wesmac?

scbob

Boat Make
Provincial 42 "Spanish Wells"
Doesn't Flowers have a hull in this size range, and I thought they have an excellent reputation.
Good luck
Bob

Resilient

Boat Make
29 HH
Captain Blitzen, I grew up in Lincoln Maine but moved to Hawaii 30 years ago. my first business there was a sport fishing business out of Lahaina Harbor. I am a licensed captain and owned and operated a 42 sportfish for years in my late 20's . Now I am 51, and in the construction business and have had a few pleasure fishing boats along the way. By no means a seasoned seaman but I am comfortable on the water. I love to be out at Platts bank for 2-3 days. But I don't like being out there in my 33'on the anchor with waver over 4' when it's blowing over 15 knots.
I want a vessel that I can be comfortable and safe on fishing and anchored up 50 miles off shore when it's 15-20 and 4-5', that can take me home in a following sea. I dream of spending days at George's bank.

I assume either of these wonderful hulls would likely do the job? your comments are appreciated.
GB Maine
I have a lobster fishing friend close by who owns a hull out off Canada. I fish lobster as well and have been on a lot of boats myself . His boat is a 50 foot millennium . Not sure about that spelling but I'm close . I was on that boat the day she went over brand new for a ride . She's a monster and I mean big . He only put a 405 cummins in it but she surprised us with around 17 kits. I believe one of those hulls would fit your bill easy . From Avery Scott.

Top Bottom