How old is too old for a fiberglass hull? 25' 1989 Parker Sport Cabin

MAArcher

Not a downeaster, but there's a 1989 25' Parker Sport Cabin inboard/outboard for sale and I'm wondering if its worth looking at. How old is too old?

leaky

Vice Admiral
A Parker I would not worry about at all hull-wise, fished on a couple, never went and tried to survey one though, also never heard anything bad about them aside from normal boat problems. You might hear the ride is terrible but my experience was the deep V models are pretty good just you are way up in the bow so will notice a little more than you would on another hull, the mod V models ride like hell but are perfectly seaworthy, a little more stable, and push with less power. Not sure how deep V & mod V translates to what was built in 1989 as that hull is 10+ years older than the ones I fished on (although one of them was a deep V, IO, sport cabin - was a great boat really)..

You still gotta go lookout for rotten plywood stuff as it is an older boat and as far as I know Parker used that sort of coring throughout the stringers, deck, etc (not sure on the actual top though)..

There isn't much info out there about older fiberglass hulls having problems at all, however coring practices in the actual hulls that were not time tested in the late 70's and 80's produced some bad boats, more depends on the boat. An older boat your expectation always has to be it's going to need a thorough evaluation for rot and general repair but no rule that says they get too old.

I have always really loved Parker's - if I wasn't tired of fishing around outboards I would own one w/ twins today. They made them w/ outboards, IO's, and inboards at one point, then in the late 90's maybe they switched over to outboards only and eventually made a deal w/ Yami to offer them exclusively.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
As for the fiberglass I had a 1966 Hatteras solid glass hull, no issues, I now own a 1971 18' tripp angler, solid glass hull, no issues, I also have a 2003 Duffy solid glass no issues, the glass hull will last a long long time, it's when they are cored that issues can arise., hope that helps. Guys on here know alot more than I do about it

ssevenjohn

i have a 1978 solid glass Young Bros hull. rebuilt in 2012-15 no problems.

MAArcher

All of what leaky says is true i wouldn't worry about the glass parts but i'd run away from any outdrive they are ALL JUNK.
Ya, I'm worried about that. Wondering if I could sell the motor and outdrive to help finance a bracket and outboard

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

leaky

Vice Admiral
Ya, I'm worried about that. Wondering if I could sell the motor and outdrive to help finance a bracket and outboard
One of the 3 Parker's I've been on (just remembered Ronnie had a 23 ft deep v too) was an IO and actually that was a decent setup, however it was a relatively new & very well maintained boat at the time.

A bracket last I checked will run you around $1500 - you might be able to get that for the running takeout (assuming this is an original or older power package, if recently repowered then it's worth more but then probably no reason to replace it either)..

Keep in mind outboards, actually hell even a Mercury repower package for that IO, can be financed - ends up similar to a small car payment. A pair of Mercury Sea Pro 150's I bet would be sweet on a 25 ft Parker.

On a boat like this I think it's going to be very hard to find reliable & cheap used power - the trouble is the HP range & the size of the boat, which tends to mean you run them 100+ hours a season, and further from land, so you can't get away with anything clunky. You could spend 5K to 10K and get a reasonably serviceable ~250 HP (these boats need 250 minimum) that should go for awhile but the only way those engines become available is if their sister engine shit the bed or someone else decided it was time to repower to something newer - you are basically buying something for good $$ that is on the cusp of when they start needing repairs and may even have hidden problems. It's one thing if you are a wiz w/ outboards and can even use older ones, rebuild/repair to reliable condition, trouble-shooting any gremlins out, then you can get away with older stuff if you have the time to put into it, but if you need someone else to conduct repairs at all, I think most people are happier spending 30K or just having a payment, a warranty, and engines with a long life span.

Jon

leaky

Vice Admiral
I guess one thing to add, what is really cool about 25 Parker's is similar to downeasts, they do not have a bunch of bullshit weight built into them in useless shiny molded parts. Towing one versus my 26 Seawolf was a dream, a guess would be a 25 Parker with fuel tips the scales at around 6000 lbs where my old 26 was > 8000 lbs. Basically, a half ton will do it nicely. They are 9.5 wide, so they do push the legal 8.5 foot limit, but nobody notices (be weary of certain toll plazas is all).

Basically they are about as big as you can put on a trailer without being a bear to tow, and are seaworthy as hell. This is a huge advantage if you like to fish up and down the coast, opens up the possibility of reaching species that are impractical to run larger boats to due to the fuel bill, ie go out of the cape and target yellowfin when they are in range, if you want to fish platts then launch in maine, etc.. etc..

MAArcher

Anyone hazzard a guess what a 1989 25' Parker Sport Cabin inboard/outboard with Mercury 350 260hp and newer trailer might be worth? No real details yet but package looks to be in good shape for the age. Dual steering stations. NADA says $6k but I'm going to assume real market value is probably double that, especially if the motor and outdrive run well and have been recently serviced?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Old fiberglass is fine. Outdrives............never last long enough to get old...........unless you mean from a maintenance perspective. Then it gets old very quick!

leaky

Vice Admiral
Anyone hazzard a guess what a 1989 25' Parker Sport Cabin inboard/outboard with Mercury 350 260hp and newer trailer might be worth? No real details yet but package looks to be in good shape for the age. Dual steering stations. NADA says $6k but I'm going to assume real market value is probably double that, especially if the motor and outdrive run well and have been recently serviced?
NADA is good for pretty much nada when it comes to many older boats, no idea why it's so screwed up with common boats but as you point out generally it's low.

Deep V parker 25's are fairly sought after, mod V versions are worth less $$ but still hold value, not sure what you got there (almost think back then they only made one that was kinda in between the two?)..

Normally you would be hard pressed to find a turn key one in decent shape for < $25K.

The IO part decreases value to the point where it's almost like selling the boat minus power and the age decreases value; not being a deep V decreases value. You gotta look at the specific condition, especially if there is any sign of core getting soft, wiring, corrosion, conditions of windows, all that stuff.

I think if generally the boat is in good shape at 10K on a good trailer you are not getting hurt. If for instance you dropped 35K into it for bracket, repower, some electronics update, you would have < 50K into and you could not buy what you had for that $$. This is site unseen, the boat could be a complete POS for all I know.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Who you going to sell it to ??? most folks know to stay away from outdrives. If you really have to buy that boat make the offer like it didn't have any motor, your going to have to replace it in a short time.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
NADA is good for pretty much nada when it comes to many older boats, no idea why it's so screwed up with common boats but as you point out generally it's low.

Deep V parker 25's are fairly sought after, mod V versions are worth less $$ but still hold value, not sure what you got there (almost think back then they only made one that was kinda in between the two?)..

Normally you would be hard pressed to find a turn key one in decent shape for < $25K.

The IO part decreases value to the point where it's almost like selling the boat minus power and the age decreases value; not being a deep V decreases value. You gotta look at the specific condition, especially if there is any sign of core getting soft, wiring, corrosion, conditions of windows, all that stuff.

I think if generally the boat is in good shape at 10K on a good trailer you are not getting hurt. If for instance you dropped 35K into it for bracket, repower, some electronics update, you would have < 50K into and you could not buy what you had for that $$. This is site unseen, the boat could be a complete POS for all I know.
50 grand and its still a old parker ?? If i was going to spend that I'd look for a 25 BHM,repco or young brothers with a small diesel. I'm betting this one might be had for 50 ?
35 Bruno & Stillman Lobster/Tuna boat 60k

Last edited:

leaky

Vice Admiral
50 grand and its still a old parker ?? If i was going to spend that I'd look for a 25 BHM,repco or young brothers with a small diesel. I'm betting this one might be had for 50 ?
35 Bruno & Stillman Lobster/Tuna boat 60k
Well an old Parker with brand new power & rigging. I know what you mean and have done similar myself before; I do think it was absolutely worth it to have trouble free engines of known service history, especially on a trailer boat where outboards stay really clean over time. The boat of course needs to be a well kept example to make this worth it.

All kinda depends what someone wants and can afford - when you are talking something you can keep on a trailer and tow w/ a 1/2-ton versus something that needs to be kept in the water at $4000/year and generates another $1000/year in hauling fees, something like a Parker can be a much better fit. Trailer boats tend to be very popular for this reason.

MAArcher

Old fiberglass is fine. Outdrives............never last long enough to get old...........unless you mean from a maintenance perspective. Then it gets old very quick!
makes you wonder how it worked out for this guy if he has a 30 year old outdrive that’s still working?

leaky

Vice Admiral
makes you wonder how it worked out for this guy if he has a 30 year old outdrive that’s still working?
I don't like them but plenty of them out there on the water working OK. Most likely, low hours and somebody that cared for it well & didn't beat on it.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom