Howdy from the greatest Great Lake -Ontario!

Coaster

First Name
Jeff
Greetings! new to the forum. I live on the southern shore of Ontario- Near where the mighty Niagara River powers into the Lake. Unfortunately not much in the way of downeast style boats here. Fell in love with the look and capability of those hulls over the past 30 years vacationing on the coast of Maine (Bass and S’West Harbor areas)I aim to fix that shortly with a new boat - most vessels here are the garden variety cruiser v hull boats with (dreaded) I/O. Have owned Searays in the past (not a great experience thus the absolute hatred of the IO...) Now sailing on a McGregor 222 that my son rebuilt from a scrapped hull- Been reading through a lot of excellent posts on this site- wow is there a ton of knowledge in this community!! Looking for some direction on a new (new to me..) vessel. Needs are that must be trailerable so max 25 foot. Prefer ob but inboard in the right boat would be fine. Will be using for cruising with wife and day trips for up to four. Plan is to also use if for living aboard for up to three weeks ( not on the the hook). We are backpackers and don’t mind small efficient spaces - plan is to keep it in marina on Ontario with some trips East to coastal Maine in the summer. Thoughts appreciated!!

Haddock

Boat Make
23' Maritime Marine Voyageur
Coaster,

length should be less of a concern than your beam when considering trailering; if you have a tow vehicle that can handle the weight then your limit will be the width allowable on the road in many states without a permit for a wide load. The Eastern 248 might be a nice option and completely trailerable and seems to check your boxes. I hope that you do some fishing on that great lake; some of my best days have included 25 pounders on Lake Ontario last August! 1596232834988.png

Henry

Boat Make
Duffy 31
You also might look for a Rosborough 246 originally built in Nova Scotia bug now built by Eastern. Easy to trailer and a great handling boat .

Coaster

First Name
Jeff
Coaster,

length should be less of a concern than your beam when considering trailering; if you have a tow vehicle that can handle the weight then your limit will be the width allowable on the road in many states without a permit for a wide load. The Eastern 248 might be a nice option and completely trailerable and seems to check your boxes. I hope that you do some fishing on that great lake; some of my best days have included 25 pounders on Lake Ontario last August! View attachment 86559
Beauty! We fish out of Olcott NY. Big ole lunkers off those shores. where do you head out from? Thanks for the advice on the Eastern. I have looked at those as well as a bunch of others but appreciate hearing from those in the know rather than from purity pictures - hope you get out to our Lake again soon- fishing has been solid!(out deep)

Coaster

First Name
Jeff
You also might look for a Rosborough 246 originally built in Nova Scotia bug now built by Eastern. Easy to trailer and a great handling boat .
I saw that Eastern was making those now- really like the accommodations on those boats. Hard to gain an appreciation for layout etc without seeing one in person. Might have to try and road trip out East where those and other d easters call home. None around me on this Lake..and for the life of me I don’t know why that hull shape is virtually non existent here-

Haddock

Boat Make
Beauty! We fish out of Olcott NY. Big ole lunkers off those shores. where do you head out from? Thanks for the advice on the Eastern. I have looked at those as well as a bunch of others but appreciate hearing from those in the know rather than from purity pictures - hope you get out to our Lake again soon- fishing has been solid!(out deep)
We stayed and fished out of Wilson, NY. A buddy had been doing this for years and had an opening last year, so I tried it for the first time. Great lake and fishing!

Coaster

First Name
Jeff
Wilson is a very nice natural harbor - great fishing off there. Olcott is just 6 miles East. If you ever make it out again this way let me know - I am looking at an Eastern 248. Just gotta work the wifey. ”easier to ask for forgiveness than permission”. Stay well!

Haddock

Boat Make
We had a trip planned again this August but not looking good right now; good luck with the boat hunt!

Top Bottom