hudson giants

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by FlyingConnie, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Crabman

Crabman Senior Member

Sounds like a great plan. We won't be going too far north but might visit the Chatham area at some point. We had a fair BAYS tuna bite here this summer/fall with a hot Bigeye bite to get everyone's blood flowing. You may have been involved out of Fairhaven. We do our summers on LI and fish out of Fire Island. VB is now a stop for me before heading to Florida. I drag a 30' Contender behind my Beverly Hillbilly truck loaded with crap. It's like a mobile tackle store when I get done with everything I think I need. I don't even have room for the wife anymore and she has to take her own car with the dog.

I will post what goes on in VB when I get there next week. Have a Happy New Year. I can't believe it's next Monday/Tuesday.

2. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Definitely let me know...

3. Crabman

Crabman Senior Member

Talked to NMFS yesterday, so did Tunascapes. I thought he would have relayed the info by now.

General Category boats are allowed to keep and cut or with the proper permits sell their tuna, including GBFT, on their own to anyone they want. If you keep your tuna for personal consumption, you must contact a NMFS enforcement agent to report that fish. He may come down and tag it or not, his choice. But the fish has to be reported.

I've talked to my agent and he is all about us catching GBFT. He's easy to deal with, has a wealth of useful info and understands if you screw up one of the many regs. He is not out to bust people. Just don't try to bullship him. He will not be happy. One only needs to look at the Swordfish industry to see how the swordfish have come back. I don't think that would have been accomplished without the help of the NMFS.

From this bite in the Hudson to Chatham, things are very different. We don't get a bite like this as the norm. As Tunascapes said, one has to be very careful if you don't understand the regulations. Sporty's have been posting about all the tuna they caught as well as posting pictures. Of all those tuna caught at the Hudson over the last couple of weeks of sick fishing by Angling and Charter/Head boats, only two were reported in all of NY and NJ. Up in the Chatham area, I don't think that would happen. You understand the regs better and so do the enforcement officers.

CaptAlex, Badlatitude and tunafishhkg like this.
  4. Jay c

Jay c Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31' Duffy
    I'm pretty sure I want to be crabman when I grow up.

5. Stickman

Stickman Member

Crabman you are wrong about retaining undersized bluefin tuna for personal consumption in the General Catagory. You cannot retain an undersized bluefin tuna for peronal consumption if you fish in a commercial catagory. I suggest you review the regs. Below is directly from NMFS website.

BFT: Size class:​
    • ​
    Young School

• ​
    School

• ​
    Large School

• ​
    Small Medium
    Limit:
    Prohibited

• ​
    Large Medium/
    Giant
    Check website or
    information lines for

current limits.

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/other/2012 tunas regs brochure.pdf

6. longislander89

longislander89 Senior Member

finance
    Boat Make:
    23 seacraft
    I think they cut up a 73"+ fish for the crew.

7. boot

boot Member

Expensive meal.

boot,
  8. Tunascapes

Tunascapes Senior Member

As long as it is over 73 you can retain for the table in the general cat. It has to be called in so that it can be counted against the quota as a rec fish in the trophy cat would be. I never knew there was any way to post a fish to the general cat besides dealer reporting. This was news to me and quite a few guys I run with, including one guy on an advisory panel. I spoke to NMFS myself as well and was told the same thing.

Digger likes this.
  9. FVSD

FVSD Senior Member

If he has a head boat license you can sell fish over 73" and keep fishing under 73" depending on the recreational regulations at that given time.

FVSD,
  10. Tunascapes

Tunascapes Senior Member

That you definitely can not do in the same day/trip. CHB you can do one or the other in a given day but not both.

11. Crabman

Crabman Senior Member

Stickman, I agree with you. You are correct. If it was an undersize fish, I could not keep it for myself or for sale under the current quota. As LI89 suggested, the fish was over 73".

Landings of all BFT must be reported. If sold, the landings of large medium and giant BFT must be reported by a licensed dealer on landing cards faxed to the NMFS Northeast Regional Office. BFT not sold by commercial permit holders must be reported to the nearest NMFS Enforcement office upon landing. Recreational landings of large medium and giant (trophy) BFT must be reported as indicated in the HMS Angling category reporting at right side of page.

I was almost in tears as we put the knife to an 87" perfectly kept GBFT and the NMFS knows about that fish. There was so much oil coming out of my scuppers from this fish our DEC (dept. of environmental conservation) put up oil containment booms in my canal to stop the flow. (that was a joke).

Expensive meal but the crew and receivers were special people.

Blacktide likes this.
  12. NB36'

NB36' Senior Member

Boat Make:
    36' Northern Bay
    Nb 36'

My father and I on the 17th in the Hudson, pretty epic fishing

Attached Files:

Crabman, Whatta Catch and Blacktide like this.
  13. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Awesome, great to see family's still doing it... My dad has removed himself from fishing but I try to keep it alive...

14. Crabman

Crabman Senior Member

Great picture NB. Wish my dad was still around. You have yourself a Kodak moment for a lifetime. It was crazy fishing. It must have been fantastic with your dad. A lot of people, have a lot of memories from the Hudson this year. Let's hope we can have a repeat.

15. NB36'

NB36' Senior Member

Boat Make:
    36' Northern Bay
    Nb36'

Thanks guys, very lucky to be able to go fishing with my father. He will be 70 in April not that it is old but I'm 40 and I cant believe he keeps pace the way he does. Must be all the years of fishing. LOL

16. Blacktide

Blacktide Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 36
    We should start a fishing with Dad thread!
    Nice job on the boat and the fish NB36. We were there too it was pretty cool!

Whatta Catch likes this.
  17. Crabman

Crabman Senior Member

That's great NB. Is that your dad on the right or left?

18. NB36'

NB36' Senior Member

Boat Make:
    36' Northern Bay
    My father is on the right notice his years of experience, holding the tail rope in one hand and sandwich in the other, what great form.

19. Fvdestiny

Fvdestiny Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
    looks like Roger G ,,met him in chatham this fall..more jokes than saturday night live..the Ole Aye Roller Right?

20. NB36'

NB36' Senior Member

Boat Make:
    36' Northern Bay
    We fished his boat he has a 40' young brothers, it was the old Hot Tuna it is now called AYE-ROLLER and we fish out if Manasquan NJ in the summer then in Sept head up east and bounce around to wherever we need to.