HUK Foul weather gear is foul!

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Scott Ratte, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Scott Ratte

Scott Ratte Member

Boat Make:
    Steiger Craft 31 DV
    Has anyone had as poor an experience with expensive Huk Kruptek foul weather jacket and pants? In one season all the zippers on my bib pants are corroded and frozen. Huk said that it was because the zippers are "metal" and it was my responsibility to rinse with fresh water after each use. Seriously? Heck, I have a 15 year old pair of Grunden Gage pants and the zippers are perfectly fine. To make matters worse the jacket zipper broke off and is unusable. Huk said they are not willing to do anything to rectify. Just wanted to share my experience. I am done with Huk and just purchased Grunden Dark and Stormy gear. Hopefully I can save others the frustration and cost that I did!!

El Mar and HUNTHARD like this.
  2. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
  3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Wax your zippers once
    a season.

4. ThePartsGuy

ThePartsGuy Senior Member

PARTS PROFESSIONAL
    Home Page:
    @Scott Ratte in our new ship store (Newburyport) we will be a full line Guy Cotten retailer. I started wearing Guy Cotten in the early 90's when I was trip gillnetting and then later offshore lobstering with Shafemasters. I have found them to be worth every penny. Come buy after the New Year when the new building is setup and check them out.

PatriciaLynn and sockeye like this.
  5. Genius

Genius Captain

2nd the Guy Cotten, best I've found. Also have an old Helly Hansen jacket from the late 80s that was great gear back then. Amazing it's still getting it but I barely fit into it. The hood was the best part of that jacket, not too big that you'd get lost in it.

south shore and ThePartsGuy like this.
  6. CCtuna

CCtuna Captain

Boat Make:
    Some day...
    Lol Huk is for the bass pro hero’s and their bass trackers.

I 3rd the guy Cotten. Their bibs are so far superior to anything else on the market. I blew out a pair of grundens in about 3 weeks this summer.

PatriciaLynn likes this.
  7. sockeye

sockeye Senior Member

Boat Make:
    BHM 31
    4th

PatriciaLynn likes this.
  8. PatriciaLynn

PatriciaLynn Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Repco
    5th! 3 seasons on a pair of guy cotton bibs. I use then pretty hard, was happy to get this service out of them.

Ernie likes this.
  9. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Much like the advice I give for boats. When it comes to gear look at what the commercial fisherman are wearing. Follow suit.

Kailua Kid and archsea bunker like this.
  10. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Guy Cotten is the best. I have blown through Grundens best Xtrapper bibs and jackets faster. Guy Cotten outlasts them 4 fold or better.

archsea bunker likes this.
  11. archsea bunker

archsea bunker Senior Member

HUK is way over rated, kinda for the hip crowd , stick with the ones we know.

novivin likes this.
  12. novivin

novivin Senior Member

For the Flat Brim Crowd...

13. Panhandler80

Panhandler80 Senior Member

I have HUK decals all over my boat, truck, toilet, sunglasses, house Windows.... Basically anything with a smooth surface.

They all fall off.

Guess I shouldn't buy any gear.

Downrigga likes this.
  14. ThePartsGuy

ThePartsGuy Senior Member

PARTS PROFESSIONAL
    Home Page:
    <------ this made me laugh out loud!

15. sailor of fortune

sailor of fortune Captain

Tug Boat Captain in New York
    Boat Make:
    2 Home made skiffs
    Me too! That is some funny shit!

16. novivin

novivin Senior Member

That is classic!

17. Panhandler80

With regulation changes down here and having discovered the joy of hunting, I no longer have a need for quality foul weather gear.

However, I'm going to Alaska in 2021 for a fly in drop hunt. 10-14 days depending on wx and success. Have a 70# weight limit, plus what's on you and gun in soft case.

Lot of folks recommend marine foulies if youre light enough to afford it. I was thinking HH, but what would y'all recommend?

Not trying to derail.
    water repellent will work for most hunting situations but if we get really socked in it's nice to have true ass waterproof. If wearing during game retrieval abrasion resistance would be important. Noise not important. Wait would be important. Top and bottom.

18. Ms.Aimee

Ms.Aimee Senior Member

If weight and packability is important i would go with a light weight rain shell jacket. The more light weight it is the quicker it drys out. LL bean has the trail model rain coat that wont break the bank. I have a Stormr nano series jacket which is a light weight shell that i like, at just over $100 i believe. Also have great wind blocking characteristics.

19. Kailua Kid

Kailua Kid Senior Member

Maritime Lawyer; Fisherman; USCG Master 50 Ton
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop

Panhandldr80: I went to Seattle's Pacific Marine Expo in November and saw Patagonia's new line of foulweather gear. It was desIgned to compete with Guy Cotton and Grundeons, etc., but be very light weight. Some of the commercial fishing fleet in Alaska has been using the Patagonia foulies now for a season or two. I talked to a couple of skippers who have been using the Patagonia foulies on their boats in Bristol Bay and compared notes based on my life-long use of the orange Grundeons. I ended up buying a set of the Patagonia foulies and have been using them on my boat since. They are very light and completely waterproof, but not breathable. The material looks to be similar to some of the modern " high tech" sail cloth we use in our racing sails, with a matrix of carbon fiber or Kevlar reinforcing threads.

The skippers I spoke with said the Patagonia foulies are holding up better than the Grundeons, no leaks whatsoever and good abrasion resistance. I think they would be patch able using sail patch material or sail tape, but that is only a guess. The stuff is very light weight. Good hood, wit h adjustment. No pockets. Zipper and storm flap with snaps. Neoprene cuffs. So far very good and extremely light. (Good luck in Alaska. I have fished commercially up there and bow hunted Caribou near Naknek using the gillnetter as a hunting camp on the river. Great stuff.)

Panhandler80 likes this.
  20. Panhandler80

Good deal. Will look into that.

What you race? I've been out of that game for a while but did a bunch of phrf stuff out of Annapolis in early 2000s, and have done my fair share of your typical one-design racing all over.