I finally did it

John Kirk

1981 Seaway 19' with a '93 Evinrude 100 ( non vro). Started cleaning it up and ran into some prior crappy repairs. Have some rot in the transom portside rear. It looks like the result of a crappy bondo patch job from years ago. There are no cracks in the transom glass and the transom looks otherwise solid. The plan is to clean out the rot and apply S-1 sealant and then west six 10 the gap. There is an "after market" foredeck that is crappy and rotted on spots. Plan to just remove that completely ( next year). Replacing rubrail and all topside hardware and painting... This is more of a project than I thought....

LadyMaureen

Captain
Boat Make
Wesmac
1981 Seaway 19' with a '93 Evinrude 100 ( non vro). Started cleaning it up and ran into some prior crappy repairs. Have some rot in the transom portside rear. It looks like the result of a crappy bondo patch job from years ago. There are no cracks in the transom glass and the transom looks otherwise solid. The plan is to clean out the rot and apply S-1 sealant and then west six 10 the gap. There is an "after market" foredeck that is crappy and rotted on spots. Plan to just remove that completely ( next year). Replacing rubrail and all topside hardware and painting... This is more of a project than I thought....
Best of luck. Post pics

Eastporter

Captain
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Welcome to boat ownership. A used boat is like a hole in the water that you throw money into. The fun part is when you start ripping things apart and finding the small stuff is really big stuff. Fun times!

Keelboater

Captain
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Good luck with the new boat! That is a great size for doing a lot of different things.
Eastporter - Brand new boats are not much different other than you pay more for admission up front. ;)

John Kirk

I keep buying and selling boats... This one will get wet this summer, but it needs some love first. I drilled some 3/8" holes near the top of the transom and just a the floor/transom joint. It's damp up top and below. I also drill some holes in the end grain to see what the lateral consistency was like- much better. The bulk of the rot seems to be the 1/8 inch on the outer portion of the plywood on the transom. Not up for ripping the whole thing apart and rebuilding- that will happen with a repower in a year or two. Just want to get it stabilized right now.

Top Bottom