If you had your choice...

Solomariner

You guys did such a great job advising me on my last question (thank you again!), I would like to ask a second while we are all sitting in quarantine.

If you could buy/retrofit/restore any boat, what downeast or trawler would you choose?

I've been thinking about this for 2 years and would love to hear (read) your views.

Here are my only criteria:

1. Fly Bridge
2. Twin screw, no pods, needs to cruise at 16 knots or better
3. Max draft 5 feet and i prefer a keel to protect running gear
4. Center line queen for comfortable travel (not the whole loop but certainly up and down the east coast).
5. Big enough to configure for a custom 12'-14' flats/tender
6. Max 55 feet

And it would be great if it could fit under most bridges.

Thanks and stay healthy!

Best,

Frank

cb34

Captain
You should consider a single screw because you won't have full keel protection of the running gear with a twin.
Also consider no fly bridge, no centerline queen, no tender, no 16 kts and nothing under 80'.....LOL

Solomariner

Thank you both! I had never looked at a Duffy (and now will) but checked out a couple Wesmacs (also great). I know its a tall order to fill, but i finally have a wife who loves to travel by boat and i enjoy inshore light tackle/fly fishing along the way.

Been looking at GB 47 Fl, Fleming 55... but it seems impossible to find something that fits the entire request list.

Any additional advice is welcome.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Dettling 51. Cruises 20-25 depending on what engines you have. I have sea trialed a couple of them when my friends were in a search for a high speed coastal/island hopping cruiser. HIgh quality build, many redundant systems. No flybridge but the big sunroof over the pilothouse steering station is designed with a set of navigation and steering controls on the roof so that you can stand on the big helm bridge and drive the boat from there.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

K/A

Well twins on a downeaster in a way defeats the concept of full keel & all the benefits of a true downeaster. The next question or criteria is your budget. Moving along to refit you have to ask yourself what expertise do i have and who can do the work.
Factoring in your needs IMO I would look into something along the lines of an older Hatteras or that style sportfishermen. I fish in Florida in the winter and saw plenty of well kept boats along those demands. I'm a surveyor commercial fishermen exct. have built and restored a half dozen lobster style boats and if you want to bounce ideas off of me feel free to reach out to me. Good luck stay safe.

Diesel Jerry

Captain
Well twins on a downeaster in a way defeats the concept of full keel & all the benefits of a true downeaster. The next question or criteria is your budget. Moving along to refit you have to ask yourself what expertise do i have and who can do the work.
Factoring in your needs IMO I would look into something along the lines of an older Hatteras or that style sportfishermen. I fish in Florida in the winter and saw plenty of well kept boats along those demands. I'm a surveyor commercial fishermen exct. have built and restored a half dozen lobster style boats and if you want to bounce ideas off of me feel free to reach out to me. Good luck stay safe.
True, but when dealing with a larger boat twins can be very helpful. A lot more maneuverability. Plus the redundancy of two engines. Also having those two big chunks of iron sitting port and starboard would give back the stability that shaving a bit of the keel off would take away. Then figure in the hard chine of the Mussel Ridge hull. It wouldn’t be the first time someone has done it either. Given when all said and done you are looking at a 2M dollar boat, but the post title is “If you had your choice....” not “ what can you afford”.

Solomariner

Very helpful! I agree on the twin screw redundancy and handling.
That said, as i am researching all of your boat suggestions, I'm surprised/impressed with the cruise speeds of some of the single screws.
Not going to spend $2m on the boat!
I saw this Dettling btw - Nice boat.
Thank you all again and stay safe!

Ms.Aimee

Id do a mussel ridge, just enough amenities to keep the the family happy, enough fishing space to keep dad happy. As many ponies under the deck that i could shoe horn in there while keeping it a nice reliable platform.

i think of this every time i buy a lotto ticket.

Solomariner

Ms. Aimee - Mussel Ridge is beautiful but i just looked at the 48 and will get divorced if i bring that home.

To Capt. Diesel Jerry's question - I would like to be spending $750 or less. Currently in a Alden 40 and could use a bit more room for extended trips.

Alden - Drone.PNG

Solomariner

Responding to K's question - I'm a carpenter and ok doing restoration work although i want a fiberglass hull.

ArchHibb

Captain
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
You might consider Sabre’s 47 trawler. It meets all your criteria except being able to store a 12-14’ flats boat. I have a lot of helm time on the 43’ version below which had a centerline skeg to protect against groundings and a canvas Bimini on the flybridge. Both the Bimini and the mast (w/ tender hoisting boom) fold flat for low clearance. Would make an awesome Loop vessel as the amount of living space aboard is enormous. Forward en-suite stateroom is perfect for visiting family or guests while you’re traveling months on end. Washer & dryer too.

Pick up the cleanest one you can find and refresh it with new electronics and toys like FLIR. Could even replace engines to boost your cruise speed & fuel economy if you love it.

edit: A 47' like this one on YW w/ a hydraulic crane could probably lift and store a 12' flats boat. Just have to swap the rigid hardtop for canvas Bimini.
1998 Sabre Sabreline 47 Aft Cabin Trawler Trawler for sale - YachtWorld

Sabre 43.jpg

Last edited:

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac
These are two I have bookmarked. Have not shown them to the wife yet. This is for 5 years future, cruise from Cape Cod to south for the winter and back for the summer. One I might be able to afford, the other probably not!

Top Bottom