Info on Shipwright

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Capt. Flint, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Capt. Flint

Capt. Flint Member

Heating & Air Technician
    Boat Make:
    Frank Wooster Downeastern
    Hey y'all,

I'm looking for information on the builder of my boat. I cant find out anything about him. I'm the second owner of my boat. She's a 38' downeast with what looks like half a cape islander built down hull design, I havent been able to find another like her. She was built in 1945 by Frank Wooster in the Camden, Maine area. Does anyone here have any information or know anything about Mr. Wooster? I know everyone here is not in the Maine area, as I myself am in Alabama refitting my boat for southern coastal waters. I f anyone has any info, please post it below!

2. stumpstalker

stumpstalker Member

Is (or was) your boat the BETSELMA that was listed by Artisan Boatworks, described as a 38-foot passenger boat, designed and built by Frank Wooster, 1945?

Curiously, in Tim Colton’s list of boats built by Camden Shipbuilding, there is a BETSELMA, described as built in 1945, but at 30-foot, not 38-foot.

However, the list also names a 38-foot ANDREA B. in 1946, later named PENOBSCOT.

Tim Colton describes his shipyard lists as works in progress, so transposed data, discrepancies and incomplete info. is not unusual.

A Camden area historical society, which a local librarian could probably refer you to, might help in locating an area boat-builder or wood-worker by the name of Frank Wooster. Maybe he worked at Camden Shipbuilding. The yard was recently doing business as Lyman-Morse at Wayfarer Marine in Camden (207-236-4378). Someone there might be able to give you a lead.

3. 05bill

05bill Captain

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    not sure this will help but if my recollection is correct i believe their is a wreath making company in Maine with the name of Wooster. My be related ?

4. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    It’s work calling my Boatyard (Strouts Point Wharf Company) and ask for Cym (pronounced Kim) Hughes. He is my GM and knows a lot about wooden boats and the industry. Also try to find John Johansson. He is the editor for Maine Commercial News and is also a marine historian.