Jarvis Newman 12 Skiff outboard options?

eglicomet

I got a little 12 Jarvis Newman skiff from the widow of a coworker who suddenly passed away and I'm looking for a little outboard for it. Knowing nothing about them, I'm looking for suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

IMG_20181124_192636_420.jpg

Yesac13

I got a little 12 Jarvis Newman skiff from the widow of a coworker who suddenly passed away and I'm looking for a little outboard for it. Knowing nothing about them, I'm looking for suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
A 2.5 hp Honda or Suzuki will work fine. A Torqueedo or other brand electric motor will do fine, too. Bigger outboards are a waste of money because the hull likely won't plane. If it planes at all, it'll be awful - bow high up, pushing lots of water... Don't bother overpowering it. It is pretty much a 100% rowboat. Get 7 to 7.5 foot oars and go rowing! If you get skilled at rowing, you will go almost as fast as under power with this boat...

eglicomet

Solid advice, thank you.
AP
A 2.5 hp Honda or Suzuki will work fine. A Torqueedo or other brand electric motor will do fine, too. Bigger outboards are a waste of money because the hull likely won't plane. If it planes at all, it'll be awful - bow high up, pushing lots of water... Don't bother overpowering it. It is pretty much a 100% rowboat. Get 7 to 7.5 foot oars and go rowing! If you get skilled at rowing, you will go almost as fast as under power with this boat...

georgepeter

Boat Make
Holland 14 Jarvis Newman 12 Duranautic 14
It is a elegant rowboat, mine is from the 80’s and I enjoy it as much as any boat I have ever owned

BKay

I've got a very similar boat; although the boys at Newman and Gray say it's not one of theirs. I put the smallest ePropulsion motor on there and it moves hull speed at 50% power. The biggest problem is some of the motors out there have such short arms you have to to sit too far aft to trim properly.

I've only tested the motor once, but it moved at hull speed nicely but I couldn't sit on the rowing seat and reach the motor. Make sure you've got a long enough tiller arm to make the seating position comfortable since those dinghy's don't like weight aft.

Dinghy Port.jpg

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
I've got a very similar boat; although the boys at Newman and Gray say it's not one of theirs. I put the smallest ePropulsion motor on there and it moves hull speed at 50% power. The biggest problem is some of the motors out there have such short arms you have to to sit too far aft to trim properly.

I've only tested the motor once, but it moved at hull speed nicely but I couldn't sit on the rowing seat and reach the motor. Make sure you've got a long enough tiller arm to make the seating position comfortable since those dinghy's don't like weight aft.
Pretty skiff. How big?