Jig setup for squid at night

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Dragup, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Dragup

Dragup Senior Member

Union Pile driver
    Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    When I watched the last episode of wicked tuna Tyler’s sister had a cool light set up for squid,I just throw out a 12 volt light off the side and jig . I was wondering what other guys use,thanks

2. SYo

SYo Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28' Wayne Beal
    The "cool light" was just a deep drop light. Could also throw a glow stick on there.

SYo,
  3. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    I use the smaller glow squid jigs. Charge em up by putting near a light. When your really into them no light is needed.

Kailua Kid and pennh2o like this.
  4. Dragup

Dragup Senior Member

Union Pile driver
    Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    Thanks for the advice

5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Drag up, PM me your contact info and i'll send you one.

6. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

I found tipping the jig with a small piece of mackerel seems to up our success rate on the nights they are being a bit shy.

Cdux,
  7. leaky

leaky Captain

A couple ways to rig up for squid:

In with the herring broad daylight - this happens commonly on the flag (and other places but the flag is where I see it most), you end up pulling up squid in the middle of the herring, usually you find your tuna baits are getting comped by squid when this is going on too. For whatever reason what works the best in this situation is to put a squid jig just above a sabiki rig, you will catch way more squid than you will without a sabiki involved. Actually kinda commonly I will run a squid jig atop the sabiki because you will catch random squid while searching for bait on the bottom.

In the dark - I use 2 squid jigs, usually 2 colors, sometimes a big one below a small one (ie so it looks like it's attacking the smaller one), on dropper loops, with a smallish diamond jig on the bottom. Sometimes I put a small piece of bait on the diamond jig and rub the jigs with the bait - if the squid are thick you tend to get them well down ~25 feet and can get them one after another with the rod in hand.. If you see no sign of squid but just dangle the setup down in the depths (ie leave it in the rod holder until it bends) you can often catch a few really big ones this way.

I like Yo Zuri squid jigs, pink, blue, clear, all seem to work. The cheap orange squid jigs do not work very well or at all. Squid are somewhat intelligent and leader shy - you will do a lot better on < 10 lb test or even using light flouro than you will rigging up with 20+ lb leader.

As far as lights go - big lights work the balls for bringing herring and macks up under the boat, and you will attract squid (and unfortunately bluefish too when they are unwanted)... But squid do not tend to bite well directly in the lights, they will constantly drive by but will just drive you crazy, you want to target the ones you do not see. I'm not familiar with the contraption they are using but sounds like a gimmick - we've tried a lot of contraptions :).. You definitely want big lights on your boat aiming down toward the water, and underwater lights very well may work but I have not found for squid they are useful really.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Kailua Kid, Korriban and tuna_fan like this.
  8. Dragup

Dragup Senior Member

Union Pile driver
    Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    I’m fishing inside Long Island sound with my buddy’s skiff,we did good for being where we are there’s a good light on Amazon that I showed him he liked it and I got him one,it works we catch about 3 dozen and if it rains then nothing to much fresh water,I bought a tsunami set up works ok but once I get the bhm in the water I can go further out,

9. Frigate

Frigate Senior Member

Licensed Land Surveyor
    Boat Make:
    38' Duffy/Flower
    The rig Tyler's sister was using comes from Japan. It works good catching illex squid. Which she was catching. However the rigs do not work well or at all when you are loligo (now called longfin) squid fishing. There was a big push on Long Island to sell the rigs back in the 1980's. Then people started to realize the inshore squid here are loligos. Oops!

10. Dragup

Dragup Senior Member

Union Pile driver
    Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    That’s very interesting I would have never known that, so what jig set up do you use Frigate?

11. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

what rigs do you guys use for GOM squid fishing?

12. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

E2910E61-B463-44F2-878B-7C5B33099A93.jpeg

Cdux,
    Kailua Kid and tuna_fan like this.
  13. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Sorry i couldn't help myself.

:) jgsq1.gif

PatriciaLynn, tuna_fan and SYo like this.
  14. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Also tuna baits seemed to work pretty well too: DEBBE5ED-EABD-4C3E-8B9D-1B0349891A01.jpeg

I lost more baits to squidlies last season than dogfish; at least they are easier on the fluoro.

Cdux,
    Kailua Kid, tuna_fan and Old Mud like this.
  15. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale

Squid gotta eat too

Old Mud likes this.