Lobster Boat Racing

SSTIDD7

Boat Make
after a 20 year hiatus, i'm looking for a project boat to keep me off the streets!
OK, I'll be the first customer. I want to take a trip North this summer. I've been thinking of working a boat race into the mix. Being a complete newbie/tourist at it, I was wondering what is the best way to go at it. Maybe get in the pits, get a few autographs !(ok...maybe I've been to one too many Nascar races).

Anyway, just looking for a few dos and don'ts about the races. Looks like a fun event to work into a trip.

F/V First Team

Captain
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
2016 Race Dates

I feel that the best way to view a race is to be in a boat. Chances are, if you're in a Downeast style boat, you can whistle down the race course once you sign up and are put into a class.

As far as dos and don'ts, don't bring a sour attitude, and do have a good time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastporter

Captain
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
New Boat Racing Section

Thank you Travis. Looking forward to some good stories.

WoundUpMarine

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
26 Duffy, 14 Holland
Cant wait, I get home the wednesday before the boothbay races. Travis, you going to make it down?

F/V First Team

Captain
Website
Boat Make
[FONT=&quot]Maine Lobster Boat Racing Association[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rules[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]START: You should be in the “START AREA†two races before yours. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the start, entrants should be at idle and line up with the “START BOATâ€, increase speed with the “START BOAT†who will drop the flag when the entrant’s bows are line up with them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FALSE START: The “STARTER†will circle the flag over his head and the “START BOAT†captain will call “FALSE START†on the radio. Boats will return to the “START AREA†and try again.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Two “FALSE STARTS†by the same boat means disqualification. No “SAND BAGGING†will be tolerated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The following Rules are guidelines and may be changed at the discretion of the Oversight Committee.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hull type must be conventional “LOBSTER BOAT†design with single screw.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Any type of material construction is permitted: wood, fiberglass, aluminum, etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]All boats must be powered with an inboard engine with full keel and skeg. Exception: Work Boat Classes under 24 feet in length.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]No SPADE RUDDERS or SURFACE DRIVES. Trim tabs are not to be used and must be in the neutral position during a race.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Spray rails, lifting strakes and rolling chocks are allowed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]All floorboards, deck hatches and bulkhead panels must be on board or in place.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Transducers, keel pipes, scanner tubes, cages, etc, may be removed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Only one window may be open (NOT REMOVED) while racing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ALL BOATS[/FONT][FONT=&quot] must have a minimum of two crewmembers on board, including the skipper.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Boats must be operated from the main bulkhead steering station.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Davits and snatch blocks need not be in place, but must be on board.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Boats must be fully equipped with all required U.S. Coast Guard safety equipment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13) [/FONT][FONT=&quot] Life jackets or vests must be worn by all crew members while racing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]All boats must be equipped with a hauler and be able to haul.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Fuel shall be pump type, with NO NITROUS OXIDE OR PROPANE SYSTEMS.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ALL BOATS MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH A THROTTLE DOWN DEVICE OR KILL SWITCH.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]UNSPORTSMAN LIKE CONDUCT [/FONT][FONT=&quot]as judged by the Race Committee could result in disqualification[/FONT]

WoundUpMarine

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
26 Duffy, 14 Holland
There is a lawn out front of the Department of Marine Resources, right where the aquarium is, thatll be your best bet.

Eastporter

Captain
Boat Make
Stonington Race

Heading up to Bass Harbor for a vacation and would like to see the Stonington Races. Any views from Frenchboro if I take the Ferry?

F/V First Team

Captain
Website
Boat Make
I hold the races up in Bass Harbor when the ferry is around, they appreciate it and it gives me a break from being the start boat for a few minutes.

The ferry service out of Stonington is smaller but they hold up for them too. Usually it's a sailboat that is causing a ruckus and putting the races on hold.

You won't be able to see anything from Frenchboro except Frenchboro...

Eastporter

Captain
Boat Make
I hold the races up in Bass Harbor when the ferry is around, they appreciate it and it gives me a break from being the start boat for a few minutes.

The ferry service out of Stonington is smaller but they hold up for them too. Usually it's a sailboat that is causing a ruckus and putting the races on hold.

You won't be able to see anything from Frenchboro except Frenchboro...

Thank you for the reply. I'm trying to save myself from driving, but maybe I will. Any views from land in Stonington?

BottleRocket

I'd like to get up to the Stonington race for the first time by boat. Probably coming down from Castine that morning. Can you give me the best time to arrive and tell me where should I try to position the boat? Thanks, Travis.

F/V First Team

Captain
Website
Boat Make
The peace and serenity of early morning at Boothbay pierced by the squawk of two fishermen talking about their day on the VHF.

Guess it's time to wake up and start the day.

Zoom zoom.

Maineiac

Boat Make
'82 General Marine 19'
That portion of Stonington is Greenhead. There's a fuel dock/buyer there; Huey's. It's all private property, but nobody really pays any notice during the races. The real issue is finding parking. The "mailboat" to Isle Au Haut runs out of Stonington Harbor, but I'm unsure of the schedule on the weekend. If you have a handheld, you can listen in on the starts and the race committee.