Lobster Prices Dropping

WoundUpMarine

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
26 Duffy, 14 Holland
Talked to a buddy today, he said their buyers are telling them to stay tied to the dock. Gonna be a wildy horrible ride.

Snake8

Only with a special permit I guess.
Technically you need a dockside sales permit in MA Its kind of stupid, there is mandatory reporting so if you sell a few lobster here and there you still need to do all the same paperwork as a dealer. Most guys will sell a few here and there regardless. This kind of thing is the stuff that drives me crazy. They passed a law to allow dockside sales, but they make the process so that no one buys the permit. If you only had to report actual sales, Im guessing more guys would get the permit. I cant recall if it is weekly or monthly, but you have to file whether you sell or don't and the permit is $65 so you need to sell at least 200lbs to just cover the expense and hassle. And if you don't report/report incorrectly they can hold up your license renewals.

the_Bartender

Boat Make
35 Bruno
Talked to a buddy today, he said their buyers are telling them to stay tied to the dock. Gonna be a wildy horrible ride.
Down here in the Lower Chesapeake Bay the local buyer gave 1000 pounds of Rockfish fillets away last week because he couldn't sell them. All the restaurants are closed and nobody ordering.

ErikT

Boat Make
Crowley Beal 28
Asking for a friend (me).... any chance we can get some reduced price dockside lobsters shipped to a home address in NY? ( north of NYC)

MAArcher

Damn... 2 bucks make such a difference?
$30 difference for a family of five on an already extravagant meal. Plus I would like to buy extra to freeze. Plus there's the principal of the thing, I don't know what's happened to the fishery since I was a kid, but somethings gone wrong if an American resource, a Maine resource, is being shipped to China and your average Joe in Maine can't afford to have a couple lobster bakes for his family every summer. I think exporting lobster should be illegal, or at least taxed in a fashion to subsidize domestic prices.

soldsoul4foos

So nobody is selling lobster off the boat brunswick - scarborough? I'm guessing it's federal water fishing this time of year.

CCtuna

Captain
Boat Make
Some day...
I know of like 10 guys that are selling off their boat now. Seems to have gotten positive reception too with a lot of interest. Granted their selling at about $5 less than they would be if everything were normal. Good for them but this will not be sustainable once/if everyone starts setting gear in the next few months unfortunately

GansettCharlie

Boat Make
Parker 2520
Some guys around me are still lobstering and selling off their boat. Not sure what they're getting per.
Just about all the docks are closed. The ones that are still open are paying pennies on the dollar.
Not worth going out!

Latest Posts