Long Shaft, Wet Keel - Reduce swearing

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Maybe I am over thinking this but wanted to reach out to the forum for some idea's and experience.

I have removed my forward and aft stern bearing, replacing them with new cutlass's and just sent my shaft out to be inspected and heard it was good.

My HH had a shaft tube, so it was sort of a "guided trip" up to find the hole.

I am apprenhive with my 13' shaft, of sticking it in the back hole and getting it lined up with the forward one through a 2" shaft port basically.

I believe it might be best to get the shaft in place, then slide the ports/cutlass on with dawn rather than try to target it 100% first with even one of them on.

So what do others think? Thanks.

Just trying to reduce the swearing.

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Actually, trying to avoid cutting anything in because I have battery's ontop of it. Also I have been able to remove the old bolts by reaching my hand in the shaft port hole, as its a 2" shaft. I still see swearing...lol I hope I dont have to cut a hole just for that but I see the advantage.

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Call me crazy, but I wonder if I asked them to drill a little hole in end of shaft, tap and thread a eye bolt, small, then use a small wire to pull it through? I can't imagine that hurting the shaft if done right... again crazy idea...

plowin

Captain
Boat Make
33' flowers
Usually the weight of the shaft causes sagging as its pushed up into the tube towards the cutlas making it a bit of a bitch. I have found that slipping the wheel back onto the shaft works wonders as a counterweight. It also gives you something to push on and spin back and forth. Dish soap is your friend. Also before you push the shaft into the tube I would be sure to ease any and all sharp edges on the shaft, particularly where the coupling slides on. Its amazing how much stuff gets cut with the milled ends of the shaft. By the way a little swearing helps a lot too. Have at it!

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
I am sure this will stir some comments... this is what I pulled out holding the cutlass...after god knows how many years, I think I am going to go back with a new fabricated one, just ss bar welded to the bolts. The good part is I can get it in and out with my hand and hopefully not have to cut any holes. Hoping it should be easy to target with the thing forgiving bar lol. Figure too it will let me get a couple beads with my welder.

IMG_0984.jpg

BillD

Captain
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I am sure this will stir some comments... this is what I pulled out holding the cutlass...after god knows how many years, I think I am going to go back with a new fabricated one, just ss bar welded to the bolts. The good part is I can get it in and out with my hand and hopefully not have to cut any holes. Hoping it should be easy to target with the thing forgiving bar lol. Figure too it will let me get a couple beads with my welder.

View attachment 83182
Just to make sure I can see it in my head....the bolts were holding the "stern bearing" into the deadwood that houses the cutless ?

traditions

Captain
Boat Make
38 Holland
Do you have the outside bearing holder off the stern post. If you do, put the shaft on the wet tank first, then put the inner and outer bearing holders on the shaft.That way you don't have to slide 13 feet thru a cutlass bearing, I recommend silicane spray instead of dawn. A lot of people use dawn, and it makes them super slippery, but dawn removes oil from rubber, making it hard. Unless you can get all the dawn off the rubber, it is going to sit on the bearings until you launch . Just my opinion, like I said a lot of people use dawn.

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Bill D - Yes -
Traditions - thanks, I've only done this job maybe 4 times, first time in a wet keel, I do like the silicone spray idea. I was almost wishing I had tubs of O-ring lube.

Top Bottom