Looking to do a 10 pot trawl

downeastnewbie

Hey guys I am looking at a privateer and it is set up to do a little lobstering. I was wondering what brands of traps were best and what I was looking at in terms of price for the traps and all the gear? where is a good place to throw them in boston harbor?

Bassin

Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
Dont know much about boston harbor. If your gonna put pots down I would buy the larger sized traps. Go for something that looks really "boxy". I feel also that the yellow traps work the best.

Raider Ronnie

Captain
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

steveinak

Captain
Boat Make
31 BHM
1. how many feet of line is there between traps?
I used to rig mine 12-16 fathoms apart, but it might be a regional thing as to how far apart guys like to spread their traps. When i fished offshore we fished 40 traps to a line spaced 25 fathoms apart and 3 buoys on the line, one at each end and a middle buoy. Later in the winter we'd tie 2 lines together(80 traps) with 5 buoys to a line.

thebridge

Brooks or Friendship are the best traps IMO. Can get them on craigs or Mass Lobster Asso website. In terms of lenght between trawls, all depends on how deep you are fishing. You don't want to fish to little line because you could be pulling up two traps at the same time

steveinak

Captain
Boat Make
31 BHM
Brooks or Friendship are the best traps IMO. Can get them on craigs or Mass Lobster Asso website. In terms of lenght between trawls, all depends on how deep you are fishing. You don't want to fish to little line because you could be pulling up two traps at the same time
" You don't want to fish to little line because you could be pulling up two traps at the same time"
????????? so if i'm fishing in 30 fathoms i need to spread them at least 30fathoms apart :confused: ????

fishinwishin

Funny you mentioned "yellow is best", we bought 10 new traps this year
"black", had a great year recreational lobstering..we thought "black worked best" ! LOL
When spending more money on color pots.. remember. Lobsters are color blind..

fishinwishin

Plenty of used gear on craigslist as mentioned, cheap $ for the most part.
Def do a trawl.
Try to stay clear of commercials and where they set their gear if you don't want to loose them !
LOL thats funny, I was going to say stay away from the other rec pots or you will loose them. The big boats have more pots out than they know what to do with. The guy with only 10 is who you have to look out for.. But then the commercials will get the blame...

Capttony

Boat Make
22'sisu diesel 16' delano skiff
I agree your best bet is a trawl you don't have to have all ten on the same . If you fish a 3 pot trawl with 12 fathom between that will give you good results. That way you can get in to smaller areas and stay out of the big boys way. If your just starting dont buy new gear, that way you wont be bummed out when it goes missing.

JimRP31

Captain
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
I have yellow and black trap and both seem to fish the same. I have my trap in the sakonnet river in RI. They are a 60-70 deep muddy hole. I had a great spring and until August I was getting 3-4 a week out of 5 traps. I have not gotten any since early August. Does anyone know why? Do I need wait until November or is it just done for the year?

Capttony

Boat Make
22'sisu diesel 16' delano skiff
They should be hitting hard around now. try moving your traps to a different location. I find that the spot that works in warm water doesn't always work in cold water.

JimRP31

Captain
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Thanks, I will see how they are this weekend and move if necessary. How many pots do you have out?

soldsoul4foos

First year we fished rec for lobsters. 1 boat, 10 traps. off of old orchard. We got 200 in 8 weeks. We live a bit from there, so it was a pain to check after kids went back to school, and when we lost light early morning, late eveing. Will definately be doing it again this year, and fishing earlier and later into the fall for sure. LOVED IT.

Bill

p.s. Love the forum

Top Bottom