Mahogany center console

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32
I have just replaced the rotting mahogany center console in my 16’ Boston Whaler with a new one that’s already varnished. I had to cut holes for the steering wheel, tach, shift levers, etc., exposing untreated wood.

What’s best to treat the exposed wood? Epoxy, varnish? I just want to protect it from rot, since the cuts are all covered up, cosmetics aren’t important.

Thanks

Diesel Jerry

Captain
Call my Boss. That’s what we do here. Ask for Cym (pronounced Kim) Hughes. We currently are doing a restoration on an old whaler and will be doing a Mahogany console.
207-865-3899

AW_Holland32

Did you buy from specialty marine? I look at those wanting to do something with them pretty often... how’s the quality? Look beautiful, I’ve bought a seat cushion and some misc whaler parts from them and all were top notch.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32
Did you buy from specialty marine? I look at those wanting to do something with them pretty often... how’s the quality? Look beautiful, I’ve bought a seat cushion and some misc whaler parts from them and all were top notch.
Yes, I bought it from specialtymarine. The last mahogany console on the boat was from them too, that one came with the Whaler when I bought it. It lasted the 5 years I had the boat plus at least a few years with the previous owner. It rotted away from exposed seams.
Good quality, fast shipping on the new one. I’m pleased and couldn’t replicate it for the same costs, excluding my own time. I can post a picture later if I get home before dark.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32
Here it is installed. Sorry for the dark pics, the Whaler is still in the garage. There are zero blemishes, the light and styrofoam are what you see in the images. Specialtymarine was terrific. I ordered the wrong seat back (I’m on a mission) and before shipping they called me and straightened everything out before shipping. Great service.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32
PS I know the deck looks terrible, but she’s a work horse more than show horse.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32
Sweet I miss my whaler, used to drive it to work everyday before I could drive a car
Me too! back in the early ‘80s I would commute by whaler since I was too young to drive. You could tie up at the ends of the street for free, and back then a lot of Annapolis streets ended at dingy docks.