Mahogany center console

Discussion in 'Skiffs and Small Work Boats' started by OLD BAY, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:03 PM.

1. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    I have just replaced the rotting mahogany center console in my 16’ Boston Whaler with a new one that’s already varnished. I had to cut holes for the steering wheel, tach, shift levers, etc., exposing untreated wood.

What’s best to treat the exposed wood? Epoxy, varnish? I just want to protect it from rot, since the cuts are all covered up, cosmetics aren’t important.

Thanks

2. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Old Bay just hit it with a few coats of thinned out varnish till it starts to build up.

OLD BAY likes this.
  3. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    Perfect, thanks Blitzen.

4. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Call my Boss. That’s what we do here. Ask for Cym (pronounced Kim) Hughes. We currently are doing a restoration on an old whaler and will be doing a Mahogany console.
    207-865-3899

OLD BAY likes this.
  5. AW_Holland32

AW_Holland32 Senior Member

Did you buy from specialty marine? I look at those wanting to do something with them pretty often... how’s the quality? Look beautiful, I’ve bought a seat cushion and some misc whaler parts from them and all were top notch.

6. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    Yes, I bought it from specialtymarine. The last mahogany console on the boat was from them too, that one came with the Whaler when I bought it. It lasted the 5 years I had the boat plus at least a few years with the previous owner. It rotted away from exposed seams.
    Good quality, fast shipping on the new one. I’m pleased and couldn’t replicate it for the same costs, excluding my own time. I can post a picture later if I get home before dark.

AW_Holland32 likes this.