Mainlines

Jay c

Boat Make
31' Duffy
I’m geeking out pretty hard on making a mainline switch this season - thought I’d look for some input.

I’ve been running 200 Jinkai since I was in high school (save a couple seasons when Momoi Diamond first came out).
I’m looking to drop down a size to move from the Jinkai SG crimp to the LI. I use LI for all my leaders, and I’d like to be consistent and have 1 crimp for everything.
Here’s my question - is anyone hear running jinkai 175 and if so will the LI work? Diameter is 1.28 mm which is the low end of the SG. I know 1.28 mm Seaguar pulls out of a. G and needs an LI - not sure if that’s the same with Jinkai.

I know I can just switch to the Momoi Hi-catch 150and get this done, but I can get Jinkai wholesale, so I’d like to stay with the brand.

Tunatown

Captain
Boat Make
36 H&H CAT 3126B 420hp
Switch over to the nicopress as said you can call basil great guy he will get you set up one small crimp covers a wide range plus’the next size up will crimp anything you will need same tool does both as for line I switched over to makai last year love it it’s soft and you can get 25# spools from trophy tackle for short money now I just need to pony up and try the makai fluorocarbon

CCtuna

Captain
Boat Make
Some day...
Switch over to the nicopress as said you can call basil great guy he will get you set up one small crimp covers a wide range plus’the next size up will crimp anything you will need same tool does both as for line I switched over to makai last year love it it’s soft and you can get 25# spools from trophy tackle for short money now I just need to pony up and try the makai fluorocarbon
lol shh we don’t need the price of makai to go up. Best line for the money

CaptFred

Boat Make
36 Flowers / Cape Island
Jay, The 175 Jinkai mono and the 150 Blue label Fluoro are both 1.28mm dia. Works perfectly w the LI and I have Never had a crimp failure. Clean setup!
Cape Fred

Last edited:

Basil

Website
www.bhptackle.com
Boat Make
Friends with boats...
I have new black oxide Nicopress sleeves this year. The B4 would cover your 175 Jinkai (actually 1.31mm), Blue Label 1.28 Hi-Catch 1.28 and Diamond 1.28. In fact, anything from 1.2mm-1.45mm.

CaptFred

Boat Make
36 Flowers / Cape Island
I have new black oxide Nicopress sleeves this year. The B4 would cover your 175 Jinkai (actually 1.31mm), Blue Label 1.28 Hi-Catch 1.28 and Diamond 1.28. In fact, anything from 1.2mm-1.45mm.
Basil, Do you mean the B4 nicropress is 1.31. The 175 Jinkai is 1.28 as stated

Basil

Website
www.bhptackle.com
Boat Make
Friends with boats...
Not the B4. I check line diameter with a Mitutoyo caliper; it varies...175lb as high as 1.31mm. 80lb Jinkai listed as .81mm measures as high as .84mm. These are minute variations in different sections of the line and make no difference in crimp choice.

CaptFred

Boat Make
36 Flowers / Cape Island
Not the B4. I check line diameter with a Mitutoyo caliper; it varies...175lb as high as 1.31mm. 80lb Jinkai listed as .81mm measures as high as .84mm. These are minute variations in different sections of the line and make no difference in crimp choice.
Thanks Basil, yes I just had the caliper out myself to see if any of the 175 Jinkai was over 1.31 thinking that u meant the B4 was 1.31. I am Interested in your opinion of the nicropress vs Jinkai crimps. Reluctant to change something that's worked good for a very long time. What do u see as advantages or disadvantages

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
Thanks Basil, yes I just had the caliper out myself to see if any of the 175 Jinkai was over 1.31 thinking that u meant the B4 was 1.31. I am Interested in your opinion of the nicropress vs Jinkai crimps. Reluctant to change something that's worked good for a very long time. What do u see as advantages or disadvantages
Nicropress does not crush the line when it is crimped. Way better product than Jinkai. One size fits all. You also cant screw up the crimp.

tuna_fan

Captain
Nicropress does not crush the line when it is crimped. Way better product than Jinkai. One size fits all. You also cant screw up the crimp.
love that the crimp comes out the same, every time - no guessing on how much pressure to give to your crimpers. my only mistake was letting my crimper get out of alignment and getting "loose" and not adjusting every season...popped a couple fish off and Basil sent me another crimper and I had not realized how "out of wack" my original one had become. I also dont store them in the closed position anymore.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
I wish they were made out of stainless. When they were first developed for the telecommunication industrry, I'm sure they never thought the tool was going to be near salt water.