Makai Line

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by CEShawn, Sep 29, 2015.

1. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    So I picked up a 5lb spool of Makia line for my mainline and like it...

Now I see they have clear Flouro and its cheaper than I can get than Seaguar everywhere else.

Granted, hate jumping over to it but sure would like to "refresh" my leader too and if its 1/4 cheaper, then all the better.

Anyone use Makai Flouro leaders yet?

CatchReds, 38Holla and CaptLuke like this.
  2. CaptLuke

CaptLuke Captain

Merchant MarinerB
    Yea I've been using it all season in the canyon #60 #80 #100. So far so good

CatchReds and 38Holla like this.
  3. spareparts7

spareparts7 New Member

Look at the trophy tackle page on facebook. I can confirm that all the fish he posted were caught on that line.

Kailua Kid, CatchReds and 38Holla like this.
  4. maineguides

maineguides Senior Member

I'll be switching to it as soon as my jinkai is gone. I know of a guy that is using the 150 and is catching fish after fish with it and hasn't had any problems with it. We only use a 100 yard top shot on top of our backing so I'll be able to change it out for under $10.

Kailua Kid, CatchReds and 38Holla like this.
  5. hotreels73

hotreels73 Member

Is there an advantage to this mono as opposed to the momoi or jinkai? Just wondering I hate switching when I know something works. I dont have the balls to use anything but seaguar flouro

6. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    I paid $120 for a 5lb spool... so can change out much more... color is dark grey and I like it...

The leaders is where the game is, not sure I want to make the jump for bluefin but thinking about it...

Mainline is...well...you know...

CatchReds and 38Holla like this.
  7. maineguides

maineguides Senior Member

I can't bring myself to change leaders. I'll stick to the seagur until I get some serious feedback

8. spareparts7

spareparts7 New Member

I've been fishing the flouro all year, I will never buy Seguar again.

Kailua Kid, CatchReds and CaptLuke like this.
  9. 38Holla

38Holla Member

Thanks for all of the positive posts and feedback.

I am one of the distributors of the line.

We are very pleased with the product. The Deception fluorocarbon is made by Toray chemical company in Japan. They also make fluoro for Blackwater and Gruppo the largest monofilament company in Europe.

The monofilament is made in Korea to our specifications and has very high breaking strengths and abrasion resistance. There are some of the very best GBFT fisherman using the line. We just sent 4 25# spools of 200# to fisherman in Maine.

We offer the mono in 25# spools as well.

You can get the line at Atlantic Greenstick Supply, Luke's Reel Repair in Kennebunk, Whitewater Outfitters in Hampton Bays and www.Trophytackle.com

Thanks again.

Jr

10. Fishinengineer

Fishinengineer Senior Member

Retired Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    Duffy
    Been using the Makai mono and flouro this season with no problems. Trophy is one of the main importers for the brand. He is one of the top offshore outfitters on the east coast, did extensive testing before taking the line on.

11. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Have to point out that Trophy Tackle seems to have several great shipping methods and why I placed an order at them today for some other things as well... I hate buying from big stores where its $14 for any order... paid less than $3 for shipping today...

12. jon3030

jon3030 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35' Five Islands
    Makai

I had 4 out of 5 bites on Georges with 200 Makai Equalizer as the header with the usual Seaguar flouro leader. This was on one rod out of three in the spread. I tried their Deception flouro over the weekend and had a bite on it, ultimately pulled the hook but I like it. Tough line with very little memory. All my reels now have Makai spooled up.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  13. CaptLuke

CaptLuke Captain

Merchant MarinerB
    Here's a good one that was caught on the #80 flouro. We also had 120 sword on the #60. I too will not be buying Seagar or any other brand ever again. Give John a ring at Trophy Tackle they'll set you up. Really good guys, how do I know this you may ask? Because they put up with a lot of my bullshit

Attached Files:

14. Mark D

Mark D Senior Member

We fish a lot and have been very loyal to proven brands, never taking the "cheap" route if it meant sacrificing quality .. John from Trophy convinced me to give the Makai a shot and we have been very impressed .. great product at a great price point

Mark

15. CatchReds

CatchReds New Member

Thanks everyone for taking a chance with Makai. We purposely targeted the bluefin fishery to introduce Equalizer and Deception. I have been involved with supplying products to this fishery since 1985 and have seen the evolution of gear and techniques reach where they are today. With this insight I felt the best way to introduce a new fishing line would be in this fishery. With the amount of pressure exerted on the terminal tackle while targeting these fish, if a line can stand up to these abuses it will quickly gain recognition. Which, to our expectation, it has. Equalizer is a triple polymer line with a proprietary additive. Equalizer has unusual limpness combined with excellent abrasion resistance and it knots extremely well. These are all qualities that are sought for in a fishing line. Deception is a Japanese Fluorocarbon which possesses good stretch, excellent abrasion resistance and can be tied easily. Please support your local suppliers currently carrying Makai and if they are not please ask that they do. You can find more information on our Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/makaifishingproducts

Kailua Kid likes this.
  16. jmc

jmc Member

I've been using the Makai line since Carl at Sportsman's Landing in Dennis first got it in. I probably have over a hundred fishing days in using it mostly on tuna charters, probably has caught close to a hundred bluefins on my boat. No issues whatsoever, stays pliable, doesn't chafe, never had a crimp pull or line break. Before Makai I used Momoi and Quattro, and I would have to say it has performed better and lasted longer than both.
    Carl has a huge inventory of the stuff, piled from floor to ceiling, and his prices are really good. He is also a master at splicing if you have him spool you reels. Also the only supplier of 150 smoke color he had that custom made I think.
    His prices are cheap and he will help you out when you need it, like last minute and after hours if you call him on his cell. Not sure why anybody in New England wouldn't just order from him and support a local that goes out of his way to stock the stuff you need for comm. tuna season.
    John
    f/v Shearwater
    36' BHM
    Chatham MA

jmc,
    Kailua Kid and CatchReds like this.
  17. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Couldn't resist, pick up a 100yard coil at Sportsman landing yesterday too!!! Got to love the prices... ~~~~><">

CatchReds and CaptLuke like this.
  18. Blue Ocean Tackle

Blue Ocean Tackle Member

Owner @ Blue Ocean Tackle Inc
    Boat Make:
    blueoceantackle.com

Attached Files:

Kailua Kid likes this.
  19. Blue Ocean Tackle

Blue Ocean Tackle Member

Owner @ Blue Ocean Tackle Inc
    Boat Make:
    blueoceantackle.com
    Makai Fishing Lines

We stock all kinds of Makai lines. As the word gets out, more fishermen are switching over to the Equalizer and Deception. Billfishermen are switching over to the Punisher leader line as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    How about offering this site a discount on line to try it out?