Mooring Work videos

Sleepwalker

I contacted them last Fall and got pricing. The mushrooms are US made, all steel and pretty sure virus free. Pricing was certainly more than I paid in 1991 but will go with them when I replace mine at my next inspection cycle. I thought about having it pulled and a new eye welded on but by the time I pay for all that, this is probably cheaper.
Love the videos Genius keep em coming.

Genius

Captain
Yes, those are the Annes, absolutely the BEST. I have my Jarvis Newman on one. Never had an eye problem with them. Never condemned one. Seen a cracked counter weight, welded it up and reinstalled. Over ten years I've looked at close to a thousand moorings. The other types have a life of 15-20 years.

It's hard to sell top end gear to customers that don't see or appreciate the quality of anne's moorings. I have to compete with the competition that is selling used gear, cement blocks and similar overseas mushrooms.

I love to educate. If a customer wants the best, I recommend Anne's or DorMors.

ANNE's Mushrooms

Genius

Captain
I contacted them last Fall and got pricing. The mushrooms are US made, all steel and pretty sure virus free. Pricing was certainly more than I paid in 1991 but will go with them when I replace mine at my next inspection cycle. I thought about having it pulled and a new eye welded on but by the time I pay for all that, this is probably cheaper.
Love the videos Genius keep em coming.
Thanks. What do you have now? Why are you replacing, the eye?

I agree with welding new eyes on the typical mushroom, it's not economical.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Genius

Captain
I have replaced a few that were Chinese ones and the eye was the first thing to go. I have taken a few of those bad ones and when i get a chance make and weld on a new eye. Usually 3/8" 316 stainless. Then i give them to what ever fisherman in my cove wants them. Many have a float or two that they keep traps or gear on. Sometimes for a skiff.
No Dor Mors where i am. for whatever reasons. I personally have a 24000 # Bridge counter weight with 20' of 1" chain to 25' of 1/2" chain. Swivel top and bottom. Works good for me.
The eye is what goes in 95% of them. If heavy chain is used where there is no movement and the top shank is in the mud, the shank will thin about 9" from the bell. Newport has eleven hundred moorings. To service the amount we do, "back cove" designs are impractical. Repairing mushrooms is too labor intensive, profit margin isn't there, liability is; that is why I don't do it.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Sleepwalker

Thanks. What do you have now? Why are you replacing, the eye?

I agree with welding new eyes on the typical mushroom, it's not economical.
Hi- It's a 600# mushroom to 1" steamer to 5/8" to 1/2". My inspection last Fall passed but I was told at the next cycle in 3 years I would need to replace the mushroom because of the eye wear.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Genius

Captain
Hi- It's a 600# mushroom to 1" steamer to 5/8" to 1/2". My inspection last Fall passed but I was told at the next cycle in 3 years I would need to replace the mushroom because of the eye wear.
FYI. 1” shackle won’t connect to a 600 mushroom or 5/8 chain. Biggest on 5/8” chain is 3/4” shackles. 600 mushroom most likely takes a 7/8” shackle.

sometimes over sizing anchors makes it necessary to use 2 shackles. I always hate doing that, less shackles the better IMO. but, if you want a big mushroom, sometimes there is no way around it.

Last edited:

Yesac13

Do you have trouble with the eyes rusting off first ? Up here all the Chinese ones (200 - 300) # are all going at once it seams. The US ones put in at the same time are ok.
I've seen the eyes go too fast. Turns out the shackles used was too small. Best go with the biggest possible shackles like 7/8" to 1-1/8". I use 7/8" because reasonably priced vs slightly larger. I use two shackles... sucks, costs more but cheaper than replacing the mushroom anchor more frequently. Two shackles also weight down the top... almost like the counterweight of the better mushroom anchors.

These Anne's anchors look good. Horribly expensive, tho. Hamilton's just about quit selling them. They show it online but no prices... meaning special order only. The cast iron mushroom anchors from Hamilton is all Chinese or India unless it changed very recently. I hope to see proper cast iron US anchors again but prices probably will be 2x vs today...

Yesac13

Lovely stainless steel swivels. Where do you get them? I might want them... for the connection point just under the mooring ball. Under no circumstances would I use them in mud. Stainless steel actually go brittle if starved of oxygen. I had a neighbor who used costly stainless steel chains. Broke off on a calm day, boat went up on rocks, got off before tide went down with no damages, thankfully.

Genius

Captain
Lovely stainless steel swivels. Where do you get them? I might want them... for the connection point just under the mooring ball. Under no circumstances would I use them in mud. Stainless steel actually go brittle if starved of oxygen. I had a neighbor who used costly stainless steel chains. Broke off on a calm day, boat went up on rocks, got off before tide went down with no damages, thankfully.
You can get them through me. 1/2",5/8",3/4",7/8" sizes. They are meant to go atop the buoy, chain to pennant shackle. The jaw/eye design is the latest which is meant to reduce the amount of jewelry (shackles) needed to attach.

Top Bottom