Need advice on repowering a 37ft Webbers Cover

Capt Jax

Howdy from Florida -

I find myself needing to replace my original 1970 Ford Lehman 120HP Diesel with Velvet Drive transmission for my 1970 37 ft Webbers Cove (40ft with the 3 ft swim platform previous owner added). Long sad story, but it finally gave up the ghost and she is now dead in the water. I am a beginning my search now and seeking wisdom. This is my first venture into the "gotta now shop for a new engine" after owning this boat for 10 years.

Should I stick with the same HP (120-ish) or should I take advantage of a newer (re-man'd) engine with more HP and probably smaller footprint? I would hope that I can get some more speed out of her with more HP but am I misguided by the limits of hull speed? I have seen other posts with captains claiming 20+ kts with 300-500 HP on their DEs. With the old Ford Lehman on a good day at 75% throttle going downhill I could get it up to around 9-10 kts. With a newer, more powerful could I expect faster speed?

Any recommendations for an affordable and reliable engine to replace? My local marina and mechanic swears by Cummins and another prefers CATs. I am not too far from Ft. Lauderdale where it seems to have a plethora of Marine Engine warehouses full of rebuilt or remanufactured engines of all kinds and sizes. I am looking to buy used due to budget constraints.

Any advice on how to begin my search and ultimately purchase would be greatly appreciated. Basically, I don't know what I don't know! Help!

-Capt Jax

Genius

Captain
If you want it on the cheap cheap, I'd look for another running 120hp Lehman. I've used them before and I agree, a great engine. If you are looking for more power, remember there are other things associated with this; fuel system/exhaust/shaft/prop/mounts and glass work/air vents/gear ratio and type. Upgrade option suggestions would be cummins 210-315? Or Yanmar 6LP or 6LY. JD 6068 is also a great engine though I don't have much experience with them.

What's wrong with your Lehman? How many hours? I've seen these engines go over 20k hours.

TAftw

The lower horsepower Cummins 6BTA’s come up for sale a lot. Even just one of the 210 hp ones would be better than what you’ve got now

southshore30

Boat Make
Calvin Beal/Southshore 30
I know a guy with one of those boats and he repowered a few years back with a 3126 Cat I believe. I think he’s around 300 hp and he still doesn’t get anything over 16 knots. Not sure the hull speed allows it

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
Is this a recreational boat with all of the weight inside that intails? If so if you want to go fairly fast, say cruise at 16-18 kts I think you need at least an 8 liter engine of 400+ hp. With that engine running at that speed will require maybe 300 hp continuous output. The Cummins C whether the mechanical 6CTA or the new QSC will do that.

If you can live with cruising at 15 kts or less then the Cummins B engines will work ok.

Somewhere in between a newish Cummins QSB 6.7 will probably work.

All of the above except perhaps for the newish Cummins are available as factory remans. That is what I would do, probably a Cummins 6CTA 450.

David

winterking

Captain
Is this a recreational boat with all of the weight inside that intails? If so if you want to go fairly fast, say cruise at 16-18 kts I think you need at least an 8 liter engine of 400+ hp. With that engine running at that speed will require maybe 300 hp continuous output. The Cummins C whether the mechanical 6CTA or the new QSC will do that.

If you can live with cruising at 15 kts or less then the Cummins B engines will work ok.

Somewhere in between a newish Cummins QSB 6.7 will probably work.

All of the above except perhaps for the newish Cummins are available as factory remans. That is what I would do, probably a Cummins 6CTA 450.

David, just curious as to why you specify 8 liter engine? Just the extra beef to the motor? My dream is to repower my Bhm with a remanufactured 6cta. Is their an advantage over the other selections you mention?
Thanks! Tom

David

winterking

Captain
I somehow lost my post....
David,
I Meant to ask why do you recommend the 8 liter engine, is their an advantage over the others you mentioned?
Thanks! Tom

Bill

Administrator
Lite User
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Jax I would opt to find another Lehman and just replace what’s there. You will prob have to change out the gear / shaft / prop / shaft seals etc if you go bigger and opens up a can to go how much faster and how much more is it worth resale with engine 1 vs 2? ...I would find one that will bolt back up and get the boat running again ..

Last edited:

Genius

Captain
Why is the engine toast? They are hard to kill.

I wouldn't want a lifeboat engine. They are run like shit and maintained like shit. Low hours yes, but that's not what sells me on an engine.

Seriously... A running Lehman engine can be found very very easily. For cheap money. Installation would be extremely easy compared to another engine. You would also have your old engine as a parts donor.

Capt Jax

Thank you all for the input. All very good points to consider. This is quite an adventure but also a good opportunity to Make A Lobster Boat Great Again (MALBA)!! I shall report back with details as I progress with this repower and pictures!!

Capt Jax