Nicopress question

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by 30-06guy, Feb 2, 2019.

1. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I was thinking about giving the nicopress crimps a try this season and was wondering which crimping tool you prefer. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the smaller model "17B4B" will crimp the B1-B4 which should cover everything from 130 to 200 pound mono and floro. I also see that the 31-B4 is a bigger more robust tool but only does the B4 size crimps. That should cover almost everything but a couple of the thinnest 130 floro leaders. Just curious if you prefer one tool over the other ?

Thanks

Rob

Basil and Pigsticker like this.
  2. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    I switched over to Nicopress two years ago for my tuna rigs and never looked back, I keep Jinkai on board for making “other” rigs. The larger 33V-CGB4 and 31-B4 are far superior than the 17BA, I have both. 17ba for the B1 crimp and the other for the B4. The 33V-CGB4 has a mechanical leverage action that doesn’t rely on hand strength the apply the proper pressure. If you are going to Nicopress get the best crimper, why risk loosing a 3000$ Tuna over skimping on crimpers. These show up occasionally on eBay. There is another thread recently about Nicopress, I buy from this guy, can’t remember name right off, great to deal with, if your just buying something small contact them for shipping. The website order form will only quote UPS shipping cheapest is around 12$, they will do USPS and save a few bucks over phone or email.

BHP Tackle

upload_2019-2-3_10-24-29.jpeg

Basil and 30-06guy like this.
  3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I am shocked that people still use Jinkai crimps. They are ok for small fish but they suck for big game. If you go nicopress you will throw out every other crimp you ever bought. Years ago Pauly told me to go with Nicopress. Some of the best advice I ever got. You will never lose a fish again from a bad crimp. They are small, Stealth, and they don't crush or cut the line and they do not slip. Make the leap and you won't be sorry.

4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Call the Nicropress hot line:

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle, Inc.
    73 Norma Road
    Harrington Park, NJ 07640

Phone: 201-767-9028
    Mobile: 201-835-5887
    Fax: 877-861-2513
    www.bhptackle.com
    BHP Tackle on Facebook

He will take all the time in the world to make sure you have a full understanding of what's going on with this process.

Kailua Kid, Basil, 30-06guy and 2 others like this.
  5. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Thanks guys. I intended to order the crimping sleeves from BHP using his chart. I will give him a call before I do and get the run down. I found a 33V-CGB4 on Ebay that is in very good condition and ordered it.

Thanks again for the reply ,

Rob

Basil likes this.
  6. Bill

Bill Administrator

Boat Make:
    27 Terry Jason
    I’m also on the nicropress train. The sleeves basil sells are black and I really like them .. Basil reccomends sending any crimpers you buy to him to be calibrated

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Bill,
    Basil and 30-06guy like this.
  7. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Thanks for letting me know that. I will give him a call when I receive my tool and get things squared away.

Rob

Basil likes this.
  8. Basil

Basil New Member

The 17B tool listed in the chart above is the 17-B4B on my website. This will handle your B1 and B4 crimps.

30-06guy likes this.
  9. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I very rarely fish that light of a leader that I would use the B1 sleaves. Usually it is 150# and up so I will be using the B4s and the Cs the most. I will give you a call next week sometime when I get my crimp tool and see what you recommend. I look forward to chatting and learning more.

Thanks again,

Rob

Basil likes this.
  10. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

Bigger tool is much easier to use...and like most that posted, I went with Nicopress after dropping a couple fish a few years ago from over crimping and have had great luck with them. Basil is the best and will help you setup the tool. the black crimps are awesome, no more sharpie needed. he's also a great resource for all things braid and how to make your own topshots etc....

11. Spencer

Spencer Member

So i bought the 17BA and the sleeves get stuck in the crimper. I have had to use pliers to get them loose. Any advise on how to get them out with out ruining them? i know im using the right sleeves is there anything you guys do to the crimper to get them out?

12. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

sounds like the wrong size sleeve? Or an off brand sleeve? I bought the tool from BHP and only buy the sleeves from them and have NEVER had one get stuck... Is the tool new? is there rust on the part of the tool that accepts the crimp?
    I spray mine after each use with WD40 and wrap it in a oil soaked rag to keep it from rusting.. the nicopress tools do tend to rust easier than any other crimper i have used...

Kailua Kid likes this.
  13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    So far nothing sticking here. But I'm very new at this. I have my crimpers well oiled with Corrosion X.

14. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Something is wrong. Post a picture of the crimper , sleeve and a damaged one. Your not using Jinkai crimps are you?

15. Spencer

Spencer Member

i bought the crimper and sleeves from basil. they are the black ones he sells and i got the right sizes. I am currently away from home for the next few months, i might just buy another one if no one else has had this experience. I am stationed out of seattle but my boat and gear is in falmouth. i had to actually use pliers to get the sleeve out. i was using 130, i wonder if i bought the wrong tool or something. i am looking at the website and i see a few listed

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  16. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    The only thing I can think of is that maybe not matching the correct crimp with the correct hole? Basil will stand behind it for sure if something is wrong. You in the CG?

17. Spencer

Spencer Member

I am in the CG, how did you guess? I have a feeling I ordered the wrong crimper and so I am using the wrong hole. i bought it real quick after i had a few crimps fail. I didnt get to test it like i wanted to before fishing. we were out on the boat and started having a hell of a time with it. I am glad to they are working for every one cause i love not using the marker on the crimps.

18. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    In my opinion the smaller crimper is the one to get. It's fool proof and easy to store. I coat mine in olive oil maybe half dozen times a season and it fits perfectly in a 2 gallon zip lock bag. Thanks for your service. Appreciate the efforts of the CG very much.

Kailua Kid and tuna_fan like this.
  19. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

Don't by another one before talking with Basil - he will help you calibrate it over the phone...If you have a caliper, even better. He will have you crimp a few, then put the caliper on it to measure the finished crimp...then adjust, then crimp again, measure etc etc until it is dialed in. I buy most of my gear from him - even the stuff i can find local, or maybe a little cheaper, somewhere else, mainly because...his customer service is incredible, he knows everything there is to know about terminal gear, and he is completely accessible and will always get back to you (and he ships quick), among other things (ok, commercial over :) )

Kailua Kid, 30-06guy, Basil and 2 others like this.
  20. Basil

Basil New Member

So i bought the 17BA and the sleeves get stuck in the crimper. I have had to use pliers to get them loose. Any advise on how to get them out with out ruining them? i know im using the right sleeves is there anything you guys do to the crimper to get them out?

The 17BA has 2 slots, but its front position is actually SMALLER than the 17-B4B, which is the tool that most everyone here has bought. You didn't mention which sleeve you're using...if it's the B1, you'll need to use the larger slot on the 17BA tool.

Give me a call or email the model number of the tool you have; it's stamped on the side of the tool. The 17BA and 17-B4B look identical; they could have been swapped by mistake. Let me know and we'll figure it out now before fishing season starts.

Kailua Kid, Tunatown and 30-06guy like this.