Nicopress question

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by 30-06guy, Feb 2, 2019.

1. fisheast

fisheast Member

Can anyone break down how nicopress is better than Jinkai?And how you can use the same crimp for so many different diameters without it slipping?

2. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Other than just plain experience, jinkai is extruded aluminum shot out of a die at a thousand a minute, tumbled to ease edges and boxed. Not sure what kind of quality control is provided but from experience the same crimp from different boxes often vary. I have no real documentation of any of this, but being sick to my stomach of loosing fish 10 min in a fight, I switched.

Basil likes this.
  3. Spencer

Spencer Member

thank you for the help. I emailed my dad asking when he was going down to the house. I wont be there till april the earliest. I really appreciate all the help.

Basil likes this.
  4. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    The tool and the crimp are made by the same company so they are made to work together, a perfect match. The beauty of the crimp is twofold. It is slightly slotted in the center so when you crimp the line using this tool it grips both sides of the line independently instead of crushing the line together. Secondly, the crimp is copper, or if you choose the zinc coated copper, so it is not as hard as a Jinkai crimp. When the crimp meets the resistance of the line dia. it wraps itself around the line like a glove so you are able use one crimp for many line diameters. They don't damage or crush the line and you get a perfect crimp every time. Ever spill your Jinkai boxes and now they are mixed together? Can you remember which Jinkai crimp is which after the sticker on the back of the box wears off ? Having slip failures? Breaking off at the crimp? Those days are over with this product. I am not the hair club president either.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  5. Spencer

Spencer Member

I finally got home and checked, i have the right press, the right crimps. I still cant get the crimps out of it.

6. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Post pictures

7. Utmao

Utmao Member

merchant marine
    Boat Make:
    Terry Jason
    Anyone use the ht-450 tool with these crimps? Any special calibration as compared to the nicopress tool? Thinking about switching over as well.

8. SYo

SYo Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28' Wayne Beal
    Anyone tried the 51-B4-887's? I just grabbed a pair on ebay for $60. They do almost a full length crimp with a very small flare at each end. We did a very unofficial pull test to compare them to the 17-b4b and Jinkai SC-3 with an SG crimp. Not a single fail with the 51-b4-887's.

SYo,
    Kailua Kid likes this.
  9. Spencer

Spencer Member

I finally got home and got a good look at the tool. There was a little edge that when crimped was making it impossible to get out with out pliers. I filed it down and now it works great.

Kailua Kid likes this.
  10. Korriban

Korriban Member

You all scared me with these mandatory Nicopress crimps ! So I contacted Basil and ordered the stuff. Should be on monday in France... I never had failure before, i used to crimp "oval" aluminium crimps twice and crimp always 2 crimps on line. But who knows, maybe i can do better.

11. CCtuna

CCtuna Captain

Boat Make:
    Some day...
    Does anyone know if this is a nicopress tool?

Attached Files:

12. buckfeva

buckfeva Member

Doesn't look like any nicopress I've seen. More like the ch-18 or ht-450 in my opinion.

13. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    It's not.

14. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

Made for Jinkai crimps. Same as sold by FO.