Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac

MBILL

Boat Make
35 Duffy&Duffy
Great thread. I did the trip in 2016 (southbound) but ran outside most of the way to avoid going insane on the intracoastal maze.
Contrary to what you'd expect, there are lots of downeasters in Florida. Most folks aren't sure what they are but they usually come over and ask....

Have a great trip and enjoy that boat!

p.s. Get that bow thruster now!
My wife demanded one after Sandy hit and I have to admit that it's a great tool.

p.p.s.
Mr Machine, I think we know a lot of the same crowd. Pretty sure you had my friends Duffy for a while and traded up!

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Hopefully Isaias stays offshore...

Mid upper Chesapeake Bay, Galesville, south of Annapolis on the West River and Annapolis, on the Severn River, would be good choices for a stop. Galesville is quiet but has some marinas with services and good anchorages nearby. Not as expensive as Annapolis.

Back Creek off the Severn, next to Annapolis has several marinas with room for transients, some moorings operated by the city and some free space for anchoring with access to shore via marinas or a public dock across the street from Davis's Pub on fourth street. I am way back on Back Creek, if you need something let me know, there is usually room to anchor back there but not great holding ground if the weather is bad, bad. Most any of the creeks off the Severn have excellent holding ground and are surrounded by steep hills, those would be a good bet in a hurricane but harder to find a place to get off the boat. Let me know if things are looking real bad and that is your only option and I will try to help.

Annapolis has moorings off the Naval Academy as well more past the drawbridge back in Spa creek that are serviced by the water taxis, they could get you into town easily. First come first served on the moorings, about $30-$35 night. If the storm is not too bad then there will be room.

Moorings | Annapolis, MD
Water Taxi - Watermark

Baltimore City has some excellent marinas with floating piers, steel pilings 15 feet high, well protected from the wind. When I was working and living on my boat, that's where I went for Isabel in 2003, 10 foot storm surge no problem. That is the last time we had a significant impact on the bay for a hurricane.

andy65

Can you take a close up picture of the rubbing? Is it walking the bolt up?
Here is the actuator rubbing the arm. See witness marks. Probably needs an extra washer. Will use a nyloc nut so it can be set with a little space between the arm and a cotter pin so there are two locking means.

0FBB07AE-64D8-48CF-8786-3F25E160F4E5.jpeg

6C2EFC41-63FB-4AB4-8C0B-0063D1363090.jpeg

CCB28CA5-81D9-4483-A1D3-D8A0CD6E1F1A.jpeg

andy65

Henry and Chortle, thanks for the hurricane hole suggestions and offers if needed. What a great community this forum is.

Fueled at American Yacht on the waterway at $1.70/gal !! then walked to a gas station to refill propane tank. Then to hardware store. Didn’t know there is a specific Teflon tape and joint compound for propane. unbearable heat. Paid a kid for a ride back with full tank.

Great Bridge was my first time going through a lock. Lockmaster requires two lines and port (south) side tie up. No help available. It went okay. Norfolk is an amazing commercial shipping area. Plus dry docks and Navy ships. Passed a destroyer and tug. A bit rough on Chesapeake. Anchored near Langley AFB at Back River Bend. Major local storm rolled by. Torrential downpour and wind for a couple hours.

621AFEE3-6973-453D-BFCA-CFD5B983487F.jpeg

B36BABAE-7421-42C4-BFF9-778CC6A936E9.jpeg

30D705D2-4E56-4322-B784-EB35D1309BD4.jpeg

1249AC45-63AF-4282-A663-8490F2291A81.jpeg

027D5655-9140-4207-B83A-D997222B0EA4.jpeg

andy65

Went to Mill Creek in Solomon, MD today per advice from members. Couldn’t ask for a better hurricane hole. Like being on Portage Lake in Maine. I’ll probably head north tomorrow but it is tempting to stay here. Did 86 nm today. Not bad considering I didn’t leave until 11:15.

Picture of waves on the bow coming up the Chesapeake. One hell of a boat. I thought that big curve in the bow was overkill until now. Surprisingly the ride wasn’t uncomfortable. Maintained 14-15 kts slowing to 11 as waves overtook the stern and plunging on the downhill into the trough. One way to wash an anchor. Never could have done this day in a planing hulll.

The autopilot has been a godsend on this trip singlehanded. But it lost it once today. A wave from astern pushed the heading off course to where the autopilot started to do a sharp 360. I grabbed the wheel remembering to disconnect the autopilot enabling manual steering.

11497FAB-3E89-4CAA-AA55-6B3BBF510743.jpeg

01763EAA-6CC7-45F6-9165-76927CA904FD.jpeg

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
Went to Mill Creek in Solomon, MD today per advice from members. Couldn’t ask for a better hurricane hole. Like being on Portage Lake in Maine. I’ll probably head north tomorrow but it is tempting to stay here. Did 86 nm today. Not bad considering I didn’t leave until 11:15.

Picture of waves on the bow coming up the Chesapeake. One hell of a boat. I thought that big curve in the bow was overkill until now. Surprisingly the ride wasn’t uncomfortable. Maintained 14-15 kts slowing to 11 as waves overtook the stern and plunging on the downhill into the trough. One way to wash an anchor. Never could have done this day in a planing hulll.

The autopilot has been a godsend on this trip singlehanded. But it lost it once today. A wave from astern pushed the heading off course to where the autopilot started to do a sharp 360. I grabbed the wheel remembering to disconnect the autopilot enabling manual steering.

View attachment 86672

View attachment 86673
Stay safe and wait it out..

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Looks like you got a good spot to hang out through the storm. The Bay will be really crappy tomorrow and will be full of junk from the overflowing rivers and streams for a couple of tide cycles after the rain stops, keep a sharp lookout when you return moving north. The Susquehanna River is big and will unload an enormous amount of junk into the Bay after a storm like this one is expected to be. When I came south from Baltimore a day after Isabel moved through the Bay was like a mirror but loaded with tree stumps, picnic tables, big chunks of piers, loose and some loose boats, it looked like a war zone. This won't be as bad but there will be a lot of trash and semi submerged lumber in the water.

andy65

I'm in Annapolis on a mooring in the Spa Creek 2 field. Sheltered and scenic. I got the last mooring. Ideal spot for a blow. Have condos for a wind block and land all around. Mighty close to other boat and shore. Saw the Coast Guard taking their boats out of the water. And some big ships that ran up the Chesapeake and anchored. Think that is a clue?
Had a nice chat with the Harbor Master who told about meeting Sig Hanson of the Deadliest Catch. Said he was very intelligent and a gentleman. One of the other guys Is so rough he shouldn’t be allowed out in public.

Today’s run up the Chesapeake was flat water unlike yesterday. Found the propane leak. Soapy water. Will stay put. Maybe leave Wednesday depending on conditions. Annapolis through D&C canal to Cape May, NJ is too far for a one day run. Doesn’t look like much for good anchorages in the upper half of the Delaware. I expect debris too.

E525BB7F-A040-413E-881A-99E797A0C7AB.jpeg

33BB1337-04E4-4A0F-84BA-9053054BDD4F.jpeg

3B15C511-4783-4D53-812B-73CD5CF19C94.jpeg

AB112973-F03B-4168-A3FB-465CE0D98DEF.jpeg

andy65

The awning is fixed. The mount is well designed and seems heavy duty. Doesn’t flex. I haven’t seen a mount quite like it. Will take pictures if someone wants to duplicate. Temporary used zip ties rather than lacing. Liking the zip ties, may leave them. An awning makes it a whole lot more pleasant.

Randy48

First Name
Randy
Boat Make
Eastern 31
Actually, there are a couple of anchorages available. Chesapeake City, just off the C&D canal, Reedy Island as you leave the C&D(just be careful of the approach) and the Cohancy River in NJ.
But really, if you pay attention to the current you can run from Annapolis to Cape May in one day. Beware of Delaware Bay. When the wind and the current are against each other it’s a terrible place to be. My wife HATES that body of water!

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Actually, there are a couple of anchorages available. Chesapeake City, just off the C&D canal, Reedy Island as you leave the C&D(just be careful of the approach) and the Cohancy River in NJ.
But really, if you pay attention to the current you can run from Annapolis to Cape May in one day. Beware of Delaware Bay. When the wind and the current are against each other it’s a terrible place to be. My wife HATES that body of water!
Joe Flogger Shoal, Blake Channel and Cedarbush Hole, one, two three side by side really can funnel some water. Crappy piece of water in a sailboat that draws six feet of water with tankers moving up and down the fairway, always seeming to pass at the turn, always at night, always against the tide and wind and blowing 30 knots, other than that a pleasant memory. Every...single...time... that I did that passage. I must be like Tom Hanks, never get on a plane or a boat with him, something bad happens. Power boat should be no problem.

andy65

Got through Tropical Storm Isaias. Torrential rain, strong winds. Got jerked around on the mooring. Water leaked in the opening helm window and one of the helm fixed windows. Never a leaked before. Perhaps blown in. I forgot the air conditioner vent through the shower window. Lots of water. Ripped it out and closed the porthole. Sun came out in the afternoon. Took dinghy into town. Annapolis is nice. BBQ

Annapolis to Cape May is about 120 miles - too long a day for me. Thanks for the heads up on Delaware conditions. The anchorages I see on the Delaware don’t look well sheltered except for one or two. I’ll look at the ones mentione.

Anyone know if the inland route from Cape May to Atlantic City is passable?

Top Bottom