One month to go....

1rider

But what happens if you land a fish that is not the best quality? I would like to believe that a good quality fish will be purchased but otherwise it would seem there won't be a market for Bluefin.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

flatcat

my thoughts exactly Old Mud, but American greed will be extra hungry this season due to the krona
the fisherman should be setting the market ,but no one wants the next guy to get one ahead of them
its very simple, supply and demand, if you regulate the supply then the demand will grow
you dictate how many the market will get, instead of being the markets whipping post
if you only sell when it favors you, then you reverse the tide on the system

jon3030

Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Nice thoughts flatcat, but it will never happen. There will still be 50 boats on the Flag even if there’s no raw market this year. Even when there is a demand, the average 350lb core is worth under $1500...It’s all about puffed chests and Instagram posts these days. Really sad. This used to be a viable fishery, it’s not even close now. The fake TV show and it’s suckups and wannabes have destroyed it.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
Nice thoughts flatcat, but it will never happen. There will still be 50 boats on the Flag even if there’s no raw market this year. Even when there is a demand, the average 350lb core is worth under $1500...It’s all about puffed chests and Instagram posts these days. Really sad. This used to be a viable fishery, it’s not even close now. The fake TV show and it’s suckups and wannabes have destroyed it.
Wicked tuna did not distroy the bft fishery. The 149 countries with fish pens that dump bft on the market year around did. Its going to be an interesting season. The market will suck but in terms of post spawn fish in the GOM is going to be an interesting dilemma.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
The demise of the bft fishery began years ago when we allowed pair trawlers to enter our waters. An activity that is banned in every other country, even Japan, but allowed in our waters. How fucked up is that? A destructive activity that permits self enforcment of quota for the most important forage species on the planet. They go over quota by millions of metric tons with zero consequence. Fish no longer settle in historical places because the bait is gone. Methods so distructive that gene imprint is changing, gone forever. As a result Bf show up in Canada earlier and earlier during the summer months. Thats the new gene imprint being displayed. The Canadian Gov understands the importance of forage species and they protect it at call costs. Absent are the politics that got us to where we currently find ourselves. Our reward has just been more factory pair trawlers added to the fleet. We are we kidding ourselves if we think things are going to get better without removing the politics. Add to that fish pens from around the world sending fish to auction at all times if the year. Ya the bf fishery has problems but wicked tuna is not one of them.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

plowin

Captain
Boat Make
33' flowers
A big fat trump tuna tax on imported farm raised tuna coming into this country would get the attention of the farm fish owners.

I believe that wicked tuna has done a disservice to the fishery and has totally misrepresented what the fishery really is. I am not a fan of their poor representation of fish prices. Lies dont do anyone any good and that includes the producers and participants of that soap opera.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
A big fat trump tuna tax on imported farm raised tuna coming into this country would get the attention of the farm fish owners.

I believe that wicked tuna has done a disservice to the fishery and has totally misrepresented what the fishery really is. I am not a fan of their poor representation of fish prices. Lies dont do anyone any good and that includes the producers and participants of that soap opera.
I like the idea of a import tax. Good call.

Snake8

Lou, i have chased that very thing around going to more meetings everywhere than i care to say. Fighting to just keep them off the shore. It's a dam shame when you have boats of that size fishing not even 10 miles off some times, that's bullshit. I have been there catching fish and seeing herring just fill up the screen at night. Pairs come along make a couple tows and the fish are gone..Everything is gone. One of my serious concerns have been watching them work then going into Portland and loading 18 wheeler's (Sometimes 10) . Sending them to Canada where they take the spawn and sell them to wholesalers then to wholesalers down here, then to the local docks then to the fisherman. Wonder why Lobster bait cost went up by 150%. Dam that's just a start. Yes it is ALL politics Sucky politics. Sometimes i have to stop and think what my dad told me many years ago. " When you bang head against the wall long enough and see blood, remember your the only one who can stop that" . Dam i have to take a walk.
This ^. Fisheries management in the US is a complete joke. Im not a F the govt type, good governance has its place, but bad governance should be called out every time and held to account. If you want a perfect example of what is wrong with fisheries management in the US go look at NOAA's offices off Blackburn circle in Gloucester, then go take a drive down at the docks. The trajectory of the industry compared to the trajectory of the regulatory body are in complete contrast.

I know the feeling Mud, after years of attending meetings I had to walk away for my own sanity - twice, and now I find myself getting drawn back in with this Right Whale thing threatening to shut down the lobster fishery despite the fact that only ONE whale out of the 30 or so that have died in the last decade can be attributed to inshore lobster gear and that the population has grown over the last twenty years from some 300 animals to 450. Almost all of the recent fatalities have occured in Canadian waters. And fuck Max Strahan -if you know him feel free to knock his two remaining teeth out.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made
Boat Make
Bruno Stillman
There will be no market this year. There’s hardly a market even without a pandemic
There could be a great market for local fisherman.
It’s the import of tuna that puts the price down. If the markets don’t get flooded with crappy old fish that have been treated with carbon monoxide to stay red we have a chance.

The idea that you need to sell your fish overseas is a joke. There is a HUGE demand for tuna in the U.S.. if people turn to more healthy product's local and fresh fish will be on the top of there list.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
I heard the harpooners are lobbying to hold general category from opening until mid August.
The harponners are smart and they stick together. We should not be fishing for these fish in June, July or August. I know a few folks wont agree with that. Find out where these fish are spawning in the GOM and dont allow any harvesting during that time frame. Its more important to support Dr. Molly than it ever was. Sept one opening for now. Get rid of pair trawlers. Something needs to be done to curb the seal population. Waiting for mother nature curb things is not the answer. No commercial harvest of herring with in 50 miles of shore. These fish need a corridor of forage species along their migration route that should not be wiped out by those big boats. Stop hammering the spring squid behind nantucket with the 35 fucking draggers that feel the need to take every last fucking squid. All boats should have to demonstrate they have met all the saftey requirements before a permit is handed out to that vessel. While we are at it, open up the bass fishing to federal water. Dumbest rule ever. There are millions of bass in federal waters. When you create rules or adopt management practices that either force or cause everyone to fish on top of one another it creates a very unhealthy ecosystem.

Last edited:

CCtuna

Captain
Boat Make
Some day...
There could be a great market for local fisherman.
It’s the import of tuna that puts the price down. If the markets don’t get flooded with crappy old fish that have been treated with carbon monoxide to stay red we have a chance.

The idea that you need to sell your fish overseas is a joke. There is a HUGE demand for tuna in the U.S.. if people turn to more healthy product's local and fresh fish will be on the top of there list.
I agree there’s a good local market. But look at how that works even with a majority of the fish being exported. It cannot support the volume that is being caught daily. And it’s not like you can peddle your own fish like a lobster man selling out of his truck. Once you get into the processing of fish there’s a ton of red tape and regulations. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. Surprised the buyers haven’t said anything yet that I know of anyway, we’re two weeks from the season opening

Top Bottom