One month to go....

leaky

Captain
Alast, that's a 250# fish. We don't catch 250# fish. At least up here we dont. :p
Ya no shit - I love those 350# that we tie up in 20 minutes, no all we freakin hook are lean & mean 105 inch racers.

dexterdog1

Worst case scenario - I stick a fish and the markets flooded and no one will take it.
What’s the process for retaining it for personal consumption? I imagine it still needs a tag or somehow have the weight counted against the quota.
Btw - I really don’t want any part of loining out a 500 lb fish, so this is a just in case.
You would need to call the Gloucester office and tell them you have a fish and don't want to sell it. They will send an agent to tag it and take measurements to estimate the weight. It will be counted against the quota of whichever category your in.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
One thing that needs to happen for sure is that no permit holder should be bringing skinny fish back to the dock. Last summer was a joke with all the skinny fish hiting the harbors only to be rejected. I think we have forgot what a bf shoud look like. Maybe someone needs to offer up a course. Good excuse for a few beers. Get the photography out of your system and focus on good shape before bring a fish in.

leaky

Captain
One thing that needs to happen for sure is that no permit holder should be bringing skinny fish back to the dock. Last summer was a joke with all the skinny fish hiting the harbors only to be rejected. I think we have forgot what a bf shoud look like. Maybe someone needs to offer up a course. Good excuse for a few beers. Get the photography out of your system and focus on good shape before bring a fish in.
We've never had a fish rejected but how do you know before you got them stuck and tied up? At that point you just cut them off and let them sink to the bottom?

Even a total shit fish is $500, pays for a few days of fuel in most of the boats out there fishing for them, better than going home with nothing.

Never heard of anyone cutting a fish loose because they didn't like the look of it. Even a squeaker you run a good chance of losing if you screw around with it much. People actually do that?

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
We've never had a fish rejected but how do you know before you got them stuck and tied up? At that point you just cut them off and let them sink to the bottom?

Even a total shit fish is $500, pays for a few days of fuel in most of the boats out there fishing for them, better than going home with nothing.

Never heard of anyone cutting a fish loose because they didn't like the look of it. Even a squeaker you run a good chance of losing if you screw around with it much. People actually do that?
Its a new world leaky. Plenty of fish got rejected last year by the buyers and this year is going to be worse. What a waste of meat. Your total shit fish wont get hoisted by the buyer this year. Releasing skinny fish is a practice we are going to have get use to. We can help alleviate much of that concern by making it a fall fishery. I also dont buy that you cant tell if its skinny or not until after the fish is stuck. Its a lot easier to wrap your head around the idea if you dont have that picture taking mentality. Not saying you but a lot of people have that.

leaky

Captain
Its a new world leaky. Plenty of fish got rejected last year by the buyers and this year is going to be worse. What a waste of meat. Your total shit fish wont get hoisted by the buyer this year. Releasing skinny fish is a practice we are going to have get use to. We can help alleviate much of that concern by making it a fall fishery. I also dont buy that you cant tell if its skinny or not until after the fish is stuck. Its a lot easier to wrap your head around the idea if you dont have that picture taking mentality. Not saying you but a lot of people have that.
Ya well we also don't go when the buyers say don't go, so maybe that helps. Although I think maybe the fish north of cape ann are a little better, generally we hear its a decent fish but market sucks. I hear a lot about low quality "middle bank" fish, not being rejected but just that they are all boots.

The fall fish thing I dunno man, we get the same $$, same fish from what I can tell, all season, some better than others - if the bait situation was better managed that could be different but some years we do have piles of herring too. Trouble is some years those herring are all sucked away a couple weeks after they show up, other years for whatever reason they remain (sometimes we think the fishing is tough due to too much bait even)..

But attempting to control an angry 600 lb fish, don't see it - we are often lucky to even get one shot at them before they turn and burn and evade us for another 20 minutes. Guess you could fish heavier but that doesn't help hook pulls.

leaky

Captain
The trouble with the fall fishery is weather is just often dicey, is a much more dangerous time to be doing it. Would definitely help curb supply, hell we likely wouldn't fill our quota many years that way, but like I said not convinced the fish, or prices for sure, are any better in the fall.

I don't know how much we will be doing this year, market is almost surely fucked..

Said it before I think the best solution would be a couple or few days a week all season, no daily limits, then maybe at the end if there is surplus quota you could allow 7 days a week in the fall to make sure we do utilize it I guess.

Last edited:

hardcore1

Captain
limiting days to fish is not the answer. starting the season late wont make it better. its not the us market that is screwing the price. fisherman need to stick together not go against each other. everyone deserves their chance to participate in the fishery if they choose. if fisherman band together and either dont fish or choose not to sell their fish to buyers for less than an agreed upon dollar amount, then in a normal situation it would cause the demand and price to go up. problem solved. not the case though. in the bluefin world the buyers will just get fish elsewhere so it doesnt work. if the only supply were US caught fish there would be no issue but thats not the case. slap a tarriff on imports and that would help regulate the market.. best case for the US market til that happens is open it up and when the quota is full it is what it is. make what you can and then earn somewhere else.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
The trouble with the fall fishery is weather is just often dicey, is a much more dangerous time to be doing it. Would definitely help curb supply, hell we likely wouldn't fill our quota many years that way, but like I said not convinced the fish, or prices for sure, are any better in the fall.

I don't know how much we will be doing this year, market is almost surely fucked..

Said it before I think the best solution would be a couple or few days a week all season, no daily limits, then maybe at the end if there is surplus quota you could allow 7 days a week in the fall to make sure we do utilize it I guess.
In the old days we had a fall fishery and you picked your days and the much larger quota always got filled so there is no weather related issues. If your boat is to small get a bigger boat right? CCs were never part of the fishery back in the day. Those junk fish i refered to were right in your back yard. Those post swawn fish. It still remains to be seen if that is going to repeat itself. If it does then you can most likely kiss summer time quota good bye anyway in the future. The virus is just another nail in the coffin.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
limiting days to fish is not the answer. starting the season late wont make it better. its not the us market that is screwing the price. fisherman need to stick together not go against each other. everyone deserves their chance to participate in the fishery if they choose. if fisherman band together and either dont fish or choose not to sell their fish to buyers for less than an agreed upon dollar amount, then in a normal situation it would cause the demand and price to go up. problem solved. not the case though. in the bluefin world the buyers will just get fish elsewhere so it doesnt work. if the only supply were US caught fish there would be no issue but thats not the case. slap a tarriff on imports and that would help regulate the market.. best case for the US market til that happens is open it up and when the quota is full it is what it is. make what you can and then earn somewhere else.
Limiting days could be part of the answer simply because the quota is so small. Starting the season later could also help. Does anyone care that we have fish spawning in the GOM? I dont see fisherman sticking together. Christ we cant even get fisherman to go to a hearing. The market dictates the price not the buyer. He is not in a position to be negotiating prices. The tariff on imports is interesting for sure. Putting skinniy fish on the dock is not the answer.

leaky

Captain
Even going back 20 years ago, before the fish just became harder to catch for awhile, there were lots of center consoles and small boats in the fishery weren't there?

That's getting before I got into it but even the oldest pictures of handlining in Ipswich Bay I've seen they were about 25 ft long open boats... hell it started with folks harpooning them from rowed dories :)..

Anyway just saying I don't think Bluefin has ever been primarily a "big boat" fishery - has always been more of a potpourri as it is today. Alot of the action is within 10 miles of the harbor.

leaky

Captain
As far as public involvement, I get it as someone who is both involved and attempts to get the public involved in other fisheries.

I'd say for sure - when there is a hearing, post the info - you may not like what I say but I am usually up for soap boxing at hearings when need be and always submit comments, have made a difference on occasion. Probably a few others around here who will do the same.

CCtuna

Captain
Boat Make
Some day...
Saw plenty of social media posts today about guys gearing up and ready to “get after em” on June 1st so we’ll see if the buyers really arnt buying. Also, I don’t get the “this is a big boat fishery” because I feel like now a days it’s actually a skiff fishery with the prices we’re getting. Costs me under $50 a day to go fish alongside these 3-400k “commercial” rigs and I’m making money no problem at $5/lb. same thing as catching 3 crates of bugs but with a quarter of the work

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
"Even going back 20 years ago, before the fish just became harder to catch for awhile, there were lots of center consoles and small boats in the fishery weren't there?"

leaky,

Go back to the Moonies. Small boats with no engines being towed out. A past shit show.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
Saw plenty of social media posts today about guys gearing up and ready to “get after em” on June 1st so we’ll see if the buyers really arnt buying. Also, I don’t get the “this is a big boat fishery” because I feel like now a days it’s actually a skiff fishery with the prices we’re getting. Costs me under $50 a day to go fish alongside these 3-400k “commercial” rigs and I’m making money no problem at $5/lb. same thing as catching 3 crates of bugs but with a quarter of the work
Can you get a home run fish in june? Sure, buts its few and far between. The fish caught in the NY blight this week were no prize. It will be interesting to see what the buyers do with red meat fish. There are fish here so they will get caught. I dont think anyone is saying its a big boat fishery. Everyone has a right but dont plan a quota around summer months because the weather is nicer. That would be a mistake.

leaky

Captain
"Even going back 20 years ago, before the fish just became harder to catch for awhile, there were lots of center consoles and small boats in the fishery weren't there?"

leaky,

Go back to the Moonies. Small boats with no engines being towed out. A past shit show.
Haha oh I thought about them but figured that piece of history was not furthering the worth of a small boat fishery.

We have their center consoles laying around if you look in the back 40 of boat yards near the coast.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Jay c

Boat Make
31' Duffy
There was a whole fleet of 23 sea crafts with bow mounted fighting chairs in the 80’s.
Couple of them were legit hi-liners.
The years when the big bite was at Norman’s, the hottest boat there was a 24 rampage center con.

plowin

Captain
Boat Make
33' flowers
Other than the virus issue this price has always been predominantly driven by supply and demand. In June there typically were not a lot of fish on the market but due to imported farm fish as well as expanded global markets that has changed. Fish caught in June by a harpoon boat almost always offer beautiful color and a well handled product. There was little to no rod fishing until Fourth of July at the earliest. Yes there were always a few trollers out and about but as a rule the first 6 weeks of the season was for harpooning. The care, color, freshness and market conditions were what made that work. Now we have pen fish and the hook fleet starting when the season opens. Those are the rules and it is allowed, it is what it is. For those that have caught an early season fish they tend to be wild and extremely tough to land. Couple that with inadequate ice and poor care being taken of the fish and the early season market is crippled. I wish that fall prices equaled good returns but they do not. They offer a better return and certainly make it easier for dealers to move the product but fall does not equal $$$$. So back to supply and demand, we wait until fall to catch the fish because now they are round as a pumpkin and easier to hook. 2000 boats go fishing and many bring in fish. too much supply, your price still sucks except that now your selling a higher quality fish for lousy money. Let’s see how we can further make this worse. Let’s throw in days off, three perhaps. Now you have guaranteed pulse fishing with an even larger glut of fish on the open days. There is no good answer. We simply have too many fish that are too easily caught, no secrets, the internet, airplane assistance, wicked tuna and its distorted truth on fish prices (none of the dealers are helping anyone here In case you haven’t noticed) and social media fantasy land. Lets see how many likes I can get. Pictures are cool I have a million of them. I suggest to everyone that you take them, the people you will look back at and see will be gone and so will the things that we all take for granted. The one and only thing that will make this fishery what it once was is a better exchange rate plain and simple. Good luck to everyone fishing its certainly going to better than sitting around with a fucking mask on your fave!

Top Bottom