Plastic Plankton Pollution?

Discussion in 'Commercial Fishermen's Forum' started by Keelboater, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    LOL that is funny.

2. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I've ground so much glass on my boat projects over the years that I must be immune to any of these toy plastic beads ;)

abdiver12 and Genius like this.
  3. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    The old man use to say, "Whatever dosn't kill you will make you Stronger". I never thought of that much till all this crap came to life.

4. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Plastic microbead consumption = non biodegradable plastic turds = a big pile of crap! :rolleyes: :eek: :(

5. Kailua Kid

Kailua Kid Member

Maritime Lawyer; Fisherman; USCG Master 50 Ton
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
    Seems like we were all told that plastic, the "miracle substance," would not hurt the environment (us, and all other life on the planet) because it eventually "breaks down" and goes away. Fact is, plastic breaks up, not down, into nearly microscopic bits, and those bits are toxic. Worse (if that is possible), those toxic bits never go away. The BBC has recently released a series of documentaries about how plastics get into the water, the food chain and into us -- and what that stuff is doing to us, our children and grandchildren. The Med appears to be really suffering from plastic (and other) pollution, but the worst seems to be Southeast Asia, where there are landfills jammed full of plastics allowed right at the shoreline, where literally tons of plastic gets carried out to sea annually, then circulates throughout the Pacific with the currents, affecting the entire oceanic food chain. I find it amazing that the plastics problem still has not garnered the attention it deserves.

Keelboater likes this.
  6. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Reading this thread brings this to mind and i happen to believe she was right.

".It is a curious situation that the sea, from which life first arose, should now be threatened by the activities of one form of that life. But the sea, though changed in a sinister way, will continue to exist: the threat is rather to life itself."

Rachel Carson

Kailua Kid likes this.