Please attend or send comments - MA changes to Striper, Bluefish, Other species regs.

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by leaky, Feb 7, 2020.

1. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

I wonder if letting people, at least those fishing from shore, were allowed to keep a schoolie they would stop fishing sooner and ultimately kill less fish. The longer the limit the longer people will have to fish to get a keeper and the more they will accidentally kill, no?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020 at 1:02 PM
  2. Brakeforhake

Brakeforhake Senior Member

a slot limit protects the breeders.... too many big fish being caught hurts the stock. It may not seem like it to some based on personal experience or area fished but the big ones school up together in certain places and become vulnerable to a slaughter. Everyone wants to keep big ones including myself but when you see certain fisheries like the canal when its good, or block island, or fishing the pogie (bunker) schools south of long island it makes you think. I do think guys fishing from shore excluding the canal should be able to keep a big fish due to the difficulty of actually catching one. As far as charter and party boats are concerned if a few extra fish keeps a business viable that does not bother me. Party and charter boats are important, they help the general public access the resource as well as their customers supporting restaurants, motels and other businesses.

3. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

I thought that the 28" minimum we had in MA was set there so that fish could breed once before being taken?

I wonder if the best way to go about it would be to make everyone keep the first fish they hook, regardless of size, no catch and release, then everyone would start fishing with gear that would exclude small fish if they wanted to go home with a good fish. And if they didn't want a trophy, they at least couldn't spend all day killing small fish trying to catch and release with small j hooks and bait.

4. michael tero

michael tero Member

carpenter/contractor
    Boat Make:
    29' ros
    Does anyone remember the fishing back in the nineties early 2000's ? Phenomenal , the result of a one fish 36" limit. We wouldn't even talk about fish if it wasn't over 40" , And a lot of that was done from shore . It was world class fishing but of course we ruined that . Seems to me we've already seen the successful model .