problems with gulls?

Genius

Vice Admiral
So, I've thought about this for a while....Gull sweeps and fishing line kinda work, but they always seem to find a way around them. Someone finally came up with something that is available for retail, not marine but for home use. Probably adaptable to boat fairly easy...

would also work for those launch boats that get too close...:p

motion activated water jet

Attachments

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Cleans your boat while keeping the sky rats off?:)
Guy next to me had some kind of motion activated whistle and light arrangement that worked pretty good.

Snake8

dead gull hung on piling works best
Works but be careful you dont get caught in the part between pooping on your boat and nailing to the pile, I believe it is a federal offense. Not that you were suggesting such a thing Steve !

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Works but be careful you dont get caught in the part between pooping on your boat and nailing to the pile, I believe it is a federal offense. Not that you were suggesting such a thing Steve !
yeah i know but what if you find a dead one, like run over in a parking lot, and use that one. Hang by a piece of mono around a leg like it tangled up in it then the mono got stuck on a piling.

Snake8

From what I hear the old timers used to do it all the time, shoot one and throw it on the roof of the boat. Ive had a couple run ins with bird lovers (mostly the result of me being a little punk when I was younger) they are an aggressive bunch. Not telling anyone what or how to do things just maybe consider doing it in the darkness, bird people go to bed early. ;-)

Kailua Kid

Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
From what I hear the old timers used to do it all the time, shoot one and throw it on the roof of the boat. Ive had a couple run ins with bird lovers (mostly the result of me being a little punk when I was younger) they are an aggressive bunch. Not telling anyone what or how to do things just maybe consider doing it in the darkness, bird people go to bed early. ;-)
Stringing some monofilament around overhead has worked very well for me. Birds have great eyesight and seem to be able to see the fishing line from a long way away. They might have an instinct (or bad experience) that makes them shy away from mono. In any event, a few lengths from a light mast to some point here and another there, and the birds (gulls and crows) tend to find a more inviting place to drop their clam shells and otherwise make a mess. Works for me anyway.

dirwood

Boat Make
30ft South Shore, 220hp cummins
Nothing works as well as a hull wing tied off on top of the pilot house. I have tried countless other methods and they all pale in comparison to a wing tied to base of radar stand. I usually “find” a gull every spring that donates a wing and they last the whole season on top of the boat. May not be an option depending where your boat is kept but is the key to a clean boat.

Bill

Administrator
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason

JSP

Lite User
Boat Make
AJ-28

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Bill - I just read somewhere that seagulls can not detect ultrasonic sounds. If that is true I guess that device is only good for the "sonic" sounds. I have been using bird netting this year. It's a PITA but it has been very effective once I finally came up with a system. I also have my eye on the Bird Be Gone Solar Electric Strips for the roof. The track looks bulky for a boat (designed for buildings) and are quite expensive so I'm mulling over a few ideas of my own for the tracks and might experiment with it over the winter for next season. I do love the idea of giving them a nice jolt!

Solar Charger

Last edited:

Bill

Administrator
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Vin i didn’t know that. I hope that someday someone comes up with something . It’s ridiculous and some of the shit that bakes on you might as well get the paint brush out cause it won’t come off .. think someone needs to do some r/d on this matter there is money to be had .

Underdog11

Lite User
Boat Make
33 YB sold

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom