Purse seining for dummies

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
Anyone on here fish a purse seine before? Looking for a really simple setup to work a small net off of my 30 Repco. 600ftx 30 ft or so. I farm in shallow water and am surrounded by pogie schools this time of year. With my bait license I can catch 5klbs/day.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I'd think you need a mast/boom and power block to haul the seine and a hauler or small winch for the purse line ? ? Do you think your boat can safely haul a wet net and 5k of fish ? Maybe think of a deep gillnet and a shaker setup ?

Kailua Kid

Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
I'd think you need a mast/boom and power block to haul the seine and a hauler or small winch for the purse line ? ? Do you think your boat can safely haul a wet net and 5k of fish ? Maybe think of a deep gillnet and a shaker setup ?
And, usually you use a skiff to haul the corkline around the school of fish and back to the boat, so a good skiff, set up to tow, is also needed.

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
Yeah, no way I can hold 5klbs. I could maybe put 2k, even that would be waayyy overloaded. I would like a mast and boom for working on my farm anyway, just looking to justify the cost. My skiff would just be used to anchor the corkline, then drive the net off with the big boat. I guess I need a biggee boat...:D

I fish with a gillnet now, a shaker is not a bad idea. Would make it alot more reasonable to deal with. Hand picking the net isnt really worth the time.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
und
Yeah, no way I can hold 5klbs. I could maybe put 2k, even that would be waayyy overloaded. I would like a mast and boom for working on my farm anyway, just looking to justify the cost. My skiff would just be used to anchor the corkline, then drive the net off with the big boat. I guess I need a biggee boat...:D

I fish with a gillnet now, a shaker is not a bad idea. Would make it alot more reasonable to deal with. Hand picking the net isnt really worth the time.
saw a shaker for sale on facebook this morning i'll post it later if i can find it again.

Ditchdigger

Captain
Steve, you back in AK ? Starting to get hot and crowded around here. I know how you love both.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve, you back in AK ? Starting to get hot and crowded around here. I know how you love both.
Yes in ak, i left a couple days after i saw you back there. Shit its 78 here today and smokey from a fire south of us, 18,000 acres and still burning.

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
Yeah, that would be easy enough to rig up. Probably best to build it on a skid with a small spool behind it.

Better yet, give my deckhand an oar and have him go to town as we haul back.

Staff online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom