Qualified Captain moment...

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Pete H, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    In my teens my father had a shitty bow rider and it had the early rack and pinion style steering box that of course never got greased and froze up occasionally. I know how to use a wrench so I took it all apart and cleaned it and greased it and reassembled it on the mooring.

Next weekend I hopped on the boat with my girlfriend, let go of the mooring and put the throttle all the way down as any teenager would. About 200 yards later we are going 25 kn and i notice a submerged log at the last second and I made a hard left to avoid it and the boat made a very hard right! We missed the log but discovered the hard way that I had put the rack on the wrong side of the pinion gear on the steering wheel shaft…….

Since I was an expert in disassembling and reassembling it I had it fixed in no time. Fortunately nobody was hurt except my pride. Think I still got laid that day too. Wish I could do it again .

AW_Holland32, Old Mud and Downrigga like this.
  2. Silverfish

Silverfish Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    A few years ago me and a bunch of friends decide to take my boat to a concert, anchored the boat in like 4.5 foot of water, and walked to the concert at jones beach on long island. Walked back to the boat after the concert to find my boat about 10 feet from the water. Lucky it was a center console and I had another friend with a boat there. The longest rope we had was my 3/8 anchor line. So we used that. We got the boat back in the water with no damage. I was happy it happened at night so no one really saw.

south shore likes this.
  3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I'm sure that wasn't the last girl you steered in the wrong direction.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  4. TAftw

TAftw Senior Member

Friends are all on the lake so I decide to join one day. My buddy has a little bow rider ski boat thing and a few other people were on the other end of the lake waiting to be picked up. They were all hammered and didn’t want to leave so he had me run the boat. I get in and start it up- well sure enough the engine was tilted out of the water. The rest of the day all I heard was how I couldn’t possibly work on the water for a living. (In fairness I can’t remember the last time I was on a boat with an outboard;))

5. DBM

DBM Senior Member

Two quick ones....out with my brother for t by ed first time in my new to me 20 shamrock...running great untill it wasnt...got slower and slower. Opened engjne box and bildge filled qith water....accidentally left seacock for disconnected live well open...ugh....2nd one. New downeast, jumping out for a quick escape from the office just for me ride, phone rings with problem at work. Go on wrong side of green, and stop dead....just as a pirate ship full of kids goes by.....ugh

DBM,
  6. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    When I was 13 years old, I had an 11 ft flat bottom skiff with an old 15 HP Evinrude. It went pretty good. One evening after an early dinner, I took a ride out to Cockenoe Island (never could spell that name) with a friend of mine. As we arrived, everyone else was leaving. Our intent was to just make it a quick trip before darkness set in. We walked around for a bit and then decided it was time to leave. The tide had been coming in. We hopped in the boat and headed for home. But while running at wide open speed (as any kid would do) I managed to nail the notorious reef that is there which had become submerged by incoming tide. The motor kicked up violently and almost ripped the transom off the boat. Naturally the shear pin broke. No problem. I could fix if from the cockpit, which I had done a few times before. But there was a slight problem. I never bought replacements. :rolleyes: Instead we paddled our way back to the island as the sun was beginning to set. Everyone had left the island earlier. No radio on board. No flares. Not much of anything other than a pair of pliers, a set of screw drivers, and an adjustable wrench. So we had to live there for the rest of our lives. Ha ha ha. Actually, we hunted for sticks that we could improvise a shear pin out of. It took several iterations before we realized a stick was not quite up to the challenge. We were lucky to find a piece of fishing line on the beach that still had a rusty hook on it. It was the combination of the shank of the hook with a stick that got us home..........very slowly. We were half way up the Saugatuck River as total darkness engulfed us, but at that point it was a big relief. Were joyful parents awaiting our over due arrival at the dock just to ask if we had fun? Naturally. :rolleyes: :D I do recall some hard labor being served after that trip. ;)

Downrigga and ErikT like this.