Recreational COD off limits in the GOM.

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by Onearcher, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Onearcher

Onearcher Senior Member

machinists 42 years
    Boat Make:
    Starcraft islander 221
    *GOM codfish closed until further notice

April 14, 2015*
    MarineFisheries*Advisory

The Division of Marine Fisheries (MarineFisheries) has taken emergency action to immediately reduce the commercial and recreational harvest of Gulf of Maine (GOM) cod (322 CMR 6.03):

·*Recreational Rule Changes
    Until further notice, recreational fishermen (both private and aboard for-hire vessels) may not retain or land any cod taken from the Gulf of Maine Management Area, which includes all state-waters within Cape Cod Bay and Massachusetts Bay north to the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border. Recreational vessels may transit the GOM Management Area with cod legally harvested from outside the GOM Management Area provided all fish and gear are properly stowed and fishing activity is not occurring.

·*Commercial Rule Changes
    Additionally,*MarineFisheries*has reduced the commercial trip limit for Gulf of Maine cod from 800 to 200 pounds. This trip limit applies to all state-waters commercial groundfish permit endorsement holders, as well as any federal groundfish permit holder fishing in state-waters.*

The most recent stock assessment for Gulf of Maine cod has demonstrated that the stock was overfished with over fishing occurring. Spawning stock biomass was determined to be at 3-4% of the target. Due to these severe stock conditions, the National Marine Fisheries Service promulgated emergency regulations in the early winter of 2014 and is set to promulgate additional rules during the spring of 2015 to reduce fishing mortality and protect spawning aggregations.*MarineFisheries*has taken the above described actions to complement these federal rules for the 2015 fishing year (FY) that runs from May 1, 2015 thru April 30, 2016.*

DMF will take these emergency regulations to public hearing later this spring. In addition,MarineFisheries*will also take comment on final rules to adjust recreational GOM haddock fishing limits and commercial GOM groundfish closures to complement anticipated federal rule changes for FY2015. A formal announcement of this public hearing is forth coming.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. mudhake

mudhake Captain

any body gut a hand gear A permit for sale and what do you think they are worth?.

3. Regulator23

Regulator23 Senior Member

Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    32 Holland
    I was wondering the same thing.

4. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Looks like the Handgear A permit will be one of the few ways you can go ground fishing.

5. finaddict

finaddict Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Nauset
    Without the groundfish endorsement cant a MA commercial license rod and reel take 75 lbs of Cod? Wonder if this will still hold?

6. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    As far as I know, yes, that is still an open access permit.

7. crazycod

crazycod Member

Boat Make:
    22Sisu
    These new regs suck !!!how about all the boats that busbinesses that will be hurt by the total ban on cod. How many people are going to go on a boat and pay 70$ to 300 $to go fishing if they know they cant keep cod:confused:

8. coddock

coddock Senior Member

Exactly...it blows my mind that there are peeps that will pay $1400 bucks +\- to catch and keep 3 haddock! I have a couple charter buddies; though not nearly as busy as years past, they still are taking customers on boat rides!

9. crazycod

crazycod Member

Boat Make:
    22Sisu
    Trickle down economy its not just the fishermen that will get hurt, the tackle stores wont sell cod gear. Small stores and diners wont sell breakfast and lunches gas stations wont sell gas for cod trips. I went out in may on the Yankee freedom just because I cant live without eating delicious ground fish but how many times will I do that. Drive 5 hours each way spent all kinds of money, and the real kick in the nuts was I had to throw back a cod that was about 30 lbs :twisted:. Cod stocks are down yes, but let us keep a couple I don't need many two or three will do me fine and give me an excuse to go fishing more since I refuse to freeze fish, but them numb nuts at marine fisheries wont see things our way:confused:

10. cb34

cb34 Captain

Cod

Please elaborate, what permit allows you to take 75lbs?

cb34,
  11. duxbait

duxbait Captain

Fisherman
    I believe it is the open access hand gear A permit. There are large areas closed off to fishing, and those areas change during the year. Also allowed are species like Pollack and Mackerel on this permit.

12. finaddict

finaddict Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Nauset
    The MA commercial boat permit without groundfish endorsement allowed the permit to sell 75lbs of cod caught in state waters. I heard that was going to drop to 25 lbs, but I have not heard confirmation nor have I called the DMF to confirm yet

13. DudeShippinOut

DudeShippinOut Member

Boat Make:
    28' T Jason
    Yes just called marine fisheries and a mass commercial boat permit still allows 75lbs without a groundfish endorsement, cod only.

14. duxbait

duxbait Captain

Fisherman
    Im guessing this is state waters only and the closed areas still apply?

15. finaddict

finaddict Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Nauset
    Yes, State waters only and closed areas still apply. Called myself 2 days ago also to confirm.

16. Capt Dave

Capt Dave Member

17. morgan1727

morgan1727 Senior Member

So can you tell me if I understand this correctly? If I have a Mass. commercial permit which I need to sell bluefin tuna {along with the correct federal permits}, and if I am fishing within state waters, I can keep 75lbs of cod under this commercial permit? Is this only if you are selling the fish or could you keep for your own consumption, and is this the same as the 2 fish with a total weight up to 75lbs rule I have seen before or is it 75 total lbs of fish? Could a charter headboat cat with a Mass commercial permit do the same if not on a charter but fishing commercially for himself?

Sorry if this is just going over the same questions but I am just confused by all the rules.

18. duxbait

duxbait Captain

Fisherman
    I firmly believe these public comment periods to be a formality and that their decision has been made already. Still doesn't hurt to try.

According to Finaddict we don't need the limited entry ground fish endorsement to sell 75lbs of cod, which is what that amendment is affecting. I know I read this in the regs before, but was never able to find it again to confirm.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015