Removing Prop on a 26 Fortier

johna

Boat Make
26 Fortier
I am trying to remove the prop on my 1992 Fortier - 26, w/ Volvo TAMD 41B engine. This is the first time me as the new owner. I cant get the lock nut to budge even using some heat. I am assuming this is a RH thread as I cant tell with no threads showing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
No magic. Make sure that you have the right sized wrench and it fits correctly so you don’t round the shoulders on the nit. A little heat and a hammer should make it easier. Use a block of wood wedged in the prop to stop the shaft from turning.

johna

Boat Make
26 Fortier
No magic Make sure that you have the right sized wrench and it fits correctly so you don’t round the shoulders on the nit. A little heat and a hammer should make it easier. Use a block of wood wedged in the prop to stop the shaft from turning.
Thanks for the reply. I am assuming it has RH threads before I put too much pressure on it.

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
Left handed wheel. Should be right handed threads. You might want to hit once or twice to tighten just to loosen things up.

Genius

Captain
Make sure you hold the forward nut while you try to loosen the after nut. If you don't....it will act like a jam nut, which it is.

johna

Boat Make
26 Fortier
Thanks guys. I finally got both nuts off but had to use heat and a 2 foot cheater on the wrench. Now I need a puller for the prop. I gave the hub a couple of good whacks with a small sledge and no movement. Any other options? I hate to buy a $250 puller.

PBianculli

Boat Make
26’ Fortier
You can always make a puller out of some angle iron/flat bar and some threaded rod if you’re handy. Put the heat to the meat!

Top Bottom