replacement for Furuno 585

FlyingConnie

Website
WWW.FlyingConnie.com
Boat Make
28' Crowley Beal
I have operated every trip (since 2007) with a Furuno 585 with a flush mount thru hull 600watt transducer 50/200kh. I fish rips and bottom inshore 9' to 140', with an occasional offshore trip. Whats my next unit?
TIA

Last edited:

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
If you do need to replace it, just go with the FCV-588. Same exact button and user interface, just different guts and screen. The display is easier to see and they added a digital echo filter with the 587. No need to change the transducer or power cable.

duxbait

Captain
I currently have a 588 w/260 transducer. I've been running this combo for 4 or 5 years. Excellent unit, but looking to go to a wider beam. Considering a Simrad S2009 w/175hw. I have heard good things of this combination. I fish similar depths to you and want a larger view under the boat. The durability of furuno is unmatched imo though.

Boat Make
General Marine 26
I will sell you a sinker attached to a string! You’re absolutely crazy to sell that Mike. I have Simrad Side Scan and Down Scan; all the nonsense. Theres no way I could ever part with my Furuno 585. Absolute workhorse and reads bottom perfectly on plane!

Boat Make
General Marine 26
If you want to add some excitement to that unit turn on the sound alert when you’re marking fish like they do on Wicked Tuna!

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
I currently have a 588 w/260 transducer. I've been running this combo for 4 or 5 years. Excellent unit, but looking to go to a wider beam. Considering a Simrad S2009 w/175hw. I have heard good things of this combination. I fish similar depths to you and want a larger view under the boat. The durability of furuno is unmatched imo though.
I can understand wanting the wider beam that the 175HW brings, and I have had a lot of success with that along with the Simrad sounders (along with the Medium CHIRP), if you put a gun to my head I'd still say the FCV588 B260 combo wins out all things being accounted for... versatility, durability, etc.

Have you tried using the Dual Freq. or the LF to see a wider area? Keep in mind the B260's biggest advantage is the 8 dedicated 50kHZ elements within the transducer, which makes the LF considerably more sensitive than on a 600W ducer, even if you're using it in shallower waters. I tell people all the time to run both; HF as your spotlight beam, LF as your flood light.

duxbait

Captain
I can understand wanting the wider beam that the 175HW brings, and I have had a lot of success with that along with the Simrad sounders (along with the Medium CHIRP), if you put a gun to my head I'd still say the FCV588 B260 combo wins out all things being accounted for... versatility, durability, etc.

Have you tried using the Dual Freq. or the LF to see a wider area? Keep in mind the B260's biggest advantage is the 8 dedicated 50kHZ elements within the transducer, which makes the LF considerably more sensitive than on a 600W ducer, even if you're using it in shallower waters. I tell people all the time to run both; HF as your spotlight beam, LF as your flood light.
Yes I almost only fish in split frequency. My situation is a little different however. I had this combo on a 23 Pacific aluminum boat and had to go with a transom mount transducer. The TM260 read perfectly in all conditions on that boat, no turbulence issues ever and clear pictures at high speeds. I liked it so much that I removed it from the boat and installed it on the next boat that I got. However, the transom mount does not read as well on my new boat (also an outboard boat). My new boat has too much turbulence off the transom from aeration the trim tabs cause and air trapped by the hull strakes. I really need a thru hull. Rather than mount a b260 high speed fairing block on a trailered boat, I have been looking to mount the more flush designed 175hw.

I am no expert on this, so open to ideas. Thanks

Top Bottom