RIP Capt Tred Bartha

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by archsea bunker, Aug 12, 2019.

1. archsea bunker

archsea bunker Senior Member

Not sure how many of you here watched his shows catching tuna, Love him or hate him it was done his way the Bartha Way, RIP

2. cb38

cb38 Member

sorry to hear that when did he pass

cb38,
  3. archsea bunker

I believe Sunday past in Canada ,, Car Accident, Hard to believe after all he went through.

4. archsea bunker

Tribute to Tred

5. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

A legend passes on. I have my Bertram in his old slip at Indian cove marina. Right next to the scale. Let the nastalgia live on

eyecatcher likes this.
  6. LadyMaureen

LadyMaureen Captain

Boat Make:
    Wesmac
    RIP Tred. Didn't know him but he sure was a huge advocate for fishing, outdoor life and being a man's man.

7. MBILL

MBILL Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy&Duffy
    Met him a couple of times. I always enjoyed his enthusiasm, especially for hunting Bigeyes. BTW, it's Tred Barta.

8. archsea bunker

Thatslip should have lots of Karma

9. magicdoll

magicdoll Member

I tuna fished for years off Montauk and many times I would look off on the horizon and there would be Tred on his old Daytona Sportfisher. Lots of fish and lots of great times and even back in the 80's we were releasing Bluefin and BigEyes. There were just so many fish back then we didn't need to sink the boat with our catch so when they were caught right we released 100's of fish to fight another day. We would troll behind the Russian trawlers and the outriggers would go off every time. Besides Tred our competition back in the 80's there was a big a big twin screw flybridge 46 Jarvis Newman called Alex owned by Billy Joel, and at times Christy was on the reel. And every once and awhile the Murray Brothers out of Palm Beach would show up on their Rybo "Cookie" and they would fish all the way to Nova Scotia [well almost] back then. Lots of fun and thanks Tred for all the good Montauk memories.

cb38 and tailhook like this.
  10. magicdoll

magicdoll Member

yup, great tribute to Tred. This morning I pulled out about 60 old copes of SportFish and reread his back pages. I fished the Islands a lot way back on the Miss Bonito with Capt Joe Smith and his old mate Stanley and every once and a while we would run into Tred at Walkers or Bimini. Did you guys know he sold more used Beechcraft King Airs than anyone on the planet. that was his source of income for all his adventures, selling used King Airs. And sorry for the typos in last nights post, a few too many ice cold ones and I cant type, but you knew the boat I was talking about, ALEXA.

11. archsea bunker

Interesting about the beechcraft king airs, He definitely wrote some some great articles over the years.

12. JasonD

JasonD Senior Member

Fishing
    HuntinHard and I knew Tred pretty well back in the day, we all fished in Shinnecock at the time and we (Huntinhard Paul and I) worked at Stalker Outfitters in Westhampton... every Friday we would see Tred and Jimmy Hummel come get lures rigged. Tred was a good guy.
    "Makaira Hooked Up!!!" RampageBarta.jpg

HUNTHARD and Joshbel02 like this.
  13. Frigate

Frigate Senior Member

Licensed Land Surveyor
    Boat Make:
    38' Duffy/Flower
    Ah, stories of Tred and the Hummel family. Most of which I can 't tell on here.

One of the tamer ones was about Tred shooting an arrow though the roof of Hummel's one story and a half house. Well Tred and Jimmy aka Big Hump (Sasquatch's father) had bought a 31' Bertram gas boat. They gutted the boat in Big Hump's back yard and were putting in five large gas tanks (Big Hump said after the first of cup of gas goes off what difference does it make) in the boat. Both Tred and Big Hump were bow hunters. During a break one day, Tred was showing Big Hump a new bow. As Tred drew down with an arrow in the bow there was an opps. About a minute later Sasquatch walked down the hall way to see an arrow shaft at eye level.

JasonD and restless like this.
  14. Regulator23

Regulator23 Senior Member

Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    32 Holland
    Thank you all for share Tred stories. He definately was an inspiration to many..me included. sorry to here that he passed from a car accident. as someone else said early pretty harsh after what he has been through.