Scupper help for inspected boat

Surfishingboy

I need some help. I know someone here might be able to steer me in the right direction. I have a 42ft Maineway(H&H) inspected vessel with large scupper holes that are mandatory by the coast guard. I’m looking for a custom scuppers that I can install on the outside that will keep the deck on the dry side for the most part. I had stainless inserts on the inside but the CG made me remove them last season. Was thinking of getting customs ones made like the two bottom pictures. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1F88394B-4BDB-4505-8784-D2E5B107D72C.jpeg

71F91AAD-A9A7-4001-BE51-A1C0790658E8.jpeg

9CE92011-D2F4-4F32-B3C5-AC3274BC2F07.jpeg

6748BF5F-6F14-43F4-96E1-6EB00F73B7F5.jpeg

968B4CF4-3E2F-4B12-9BE5-5AEFBA249496.jpeg

Firened

I have seen plugs held in with shock cord . I think it was at the Maine Boat Show? Maybe someone will have a better memory?

Lion's Paw

Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
I made very similar scupper covers for the last certified boat I had. Same problem you have now, those big freeing ports allowed water in as much as they allowed it out. CG wont allow a deck port plug from the insdie but a one way flapper like you are looking at never really got a second look. If you have any doubts contact your MSO and run it past them before you do all the work.

The deck ports on your boat look pretty big so you will have to make your own as I did. I used something like starboard for the flappers and frame and some SS rod for the hinge part and just like the pic some light bungee to help hold it shut. They do need to be fairly robust or the waves will break them off. Depends upon your inspectors if they give you and grief about it or not, one just made sure they flopped open easy, others never even glanced at them.

c1steve

Captain
Are they decent? In montauk where we fish it’s always a little sporty so the deck is constantly get washed with water. I wish the deck height was 6-8 inches higher. Some customers who don’t wear boots get annoyed when their shoes get wet..
How far above the waterline is your deck?

Also could your large scuppers be moved to the stern, and the holes filled? This would probably reduce the likely hood of breakage..

Snake8

Im surprised those are mandated. I would look into plugging those somehow. I had side scuppers on a boat once and hated it, never understood it on anything but a dragger. Mine would shoot water into the boat on any beam sea, deck was always wet.

Surfishingboy

Im surprised those are mandated. I would look into plugging those somehow. I had side scuppers on a boat once and hated it, never understood it on anything but a dragger. Mine would shoot water into the boat on any beam sea, deck was always wet.
That’s what I’m dealing with and it sucks. Peoples feet get wet and my deck hatches leak when it’s

How far above the waterline is your deck?

Also could your large scuppers be moved to the stern, and the holes filled? This would probably reduce the likely hood of breakage..
I don’t know off the top of my head and the boat isn’t in the water but it’s too close to the waterline. I wish it was 8 inches higher

Surfishingboy

This is what I had, They werent perfect but helped but the CG made me take them out, I had them removed for the inspection but they saw the brackets.

C8379E50-C07B-4F74-A546-8D532C2BD402.jpeg

c1steve

Captain
That’s what I’m dealing with and it sucks. Peoples feet get wet and my deck hatches leak when it’s

I don’t know off the top of my head and the boat isn’t in the water but it’s too close to the waterline. I wish it was 8 inches higher
I was looking at a 40' commercial boat at the fuel dock three weeks ago. Most of the working deck was 6' above the waterline. There was a center section that was only 4' above, but two feet above the steel there were planks that the owner walked on. Total was 6' above the LWL. It was just a regular looking moderate size salmon and crab boat off NorCal.

Top Bottom