Seized Cummins 6c8.3-m 2300hours

jsalty

Boat Make
1999 Zimmerman 36 Atlantic hull
Can anybody give me some data on oil pressures on there gauges at higher rpm and idle speed? My engine seized at 2300 hours, my oil pressure dropped at idle when engine was warm, To the point that alarm light and horn would go off I would bump rpm up enough to get the alarms to shut off , I replaced the transducer on engine over the winter thinking that was problem, I was in denial, I just couldn't believe the oil pressure was really that low. I just purchased the boat last spring so I have no history. I think The oil cooler has a bypass and regulator in it. Does anyone have experience with oil pressure problems engine was built in 1999

Jjammer

Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Those gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Tony Athens says he’s only seen low oil pressure failures on 6BTAs like twice in his career after seeing thousands of engines...the 6CTAs are equally robust I think.

[email protected]

Boat Make
26 JC
If you doubt your helm gauge always check it with a mechanical one. The lowest pressure I've heard allowed for a diesel that is worn and up to operating temperature is 2 lbs per 100 RPM. The Cummins B and C series run around 22 to 28 PSI at hot idle and up to 50 to 60 at WOT.

junkman

Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

ARC

Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
I don’t understand your post. Is the engine seized or did it magically come back to life?

jsalty

Boat Make
1999 Zimmerman 36 Atlantic hull
engine is seized up tight we tried to move ring gear with the Cummins tool, I changed the oil last fall before haul out used shell rottella 15w-40 with oem filter I have a oil pumping system for sucking the oil out on engine, I havent sucked the oil out yet, I wont know what happened till we pull the engine and disassemble it, Too be honest with you I havent gone back to the boat since it happened , I'm just to disgusted I'm a beaten man. It's all my fault I should have dealt with the low pressure situation right away. Expensive mistake.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
engine is seized up tight we tried to move ring gear with the Cummins tool, I changed the oil last fall before haul out used shell rottella 15w-40 with oem filter I have a oil pumping system for sucking the oil out on engine, I havent sucked the oil out yet, I wont know what happened till we pull the engine and disassemble it, Too be honest with you I havent gone back to the boat since it happened , I'm just to disgusted I'm a beaten man. It's all my fault I should have dealt with the low pressure situation right away. Expensive mistake.
As stated, the Cummins 6BTA and 6CTAs are not prone to oil pressure failures.

And don't beat yourself up.
My first marine diesels were a pr of 6BTA 370s. Stupid me never had the pr alarmed for "anything".
Burned one up real good when the front idler assemble snapped off. The engines were older, 1998s.
Seems as though "something broke or occurred" in your 6CTA that was very unusual.

The good news is "if" the engine is compromised or too old for a rebuild......a brand new complete ReCon can be purchased for "resonable" money.

xbskt

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
engine is seized up tight Too be honest with you I havent gone back to the boat since it happened , I'm just to disgusted I'm a beaten man. It's all my fault I should have dealt with the low pressure situation right away. Expensive mistake.
I can't blame you but you but shit happens. Another way to look at it is now have an opportunity to repower with an electronic motor if you want.
Another 6CTA can be had as a recon "reasonably" or just get yours rebuilt.
Noone has cancer and noone was hurt in the filming of your episode so onward you go.
I also would ask where you are. Lots of us might want to come offer some sideline quartebacking.
Good luck.

ARC

Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
im thinking a bit different. maybe you never lost oil pressure. it is unlikely for that engine. quite possibly and more likely you got water in cylinders or antifreeze .

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Dslpwr

Captain
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
I’ve seen blowing a tip on a injector causing loss of rpm enough to set alarm, then drain fuel in cylinder and hydro lock overnight, or when tip blew it torched piston and score cylinder causing loss of rpm and then seized after shutting down

Top Bottom