Short list for 38-40 boat...

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Panhandler80, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Panhandler80

Panhandler80 Senior Member

After a couple months of back and forth between big go-fast CC and comfortable DE boat we decided on comfort route. Pretty easy decision. It's what we're used to, and it allows us to do more things which as water people, is important.

Then for a year we've oscillated between used and virtually turkey, used with lots of work to do, and having something built. I am still of the opinion that used with lots of work to do and HIRE the right guy locally (NW Florida) to do much of it is a great option. I have one boat in mind, and we may still go that route. My partner, however, (and let it be known... the bulk of the financing) is worried about this route being a money pit as unforeseen items are uncovered... then at the end of the day we're still left with a 20, 25, 30 year old boat that still may not be exactly what we're looking for.

Re-enter the prospect of having something built. Sufficient cash, time and know-how is on hand to build, finish and rig. The thought process is as follows: We have an insurance check on a boat we ran for 20 years. Being boatless isn't an option, so that check is being treated as free money. If a new boat winds up being too much of a burden, or if either of us fall on hard times, it's a NEW boat and it will be marketable. If we can both walk away from an additional chuck of change, it leaves us with a pretty sizable cushion between investment, and loss on sale that we can afford to take.

So, if cash is on hand and is doing nothing at the moment, why not consider a build? We wind up with a boat exactly like we want, it's one that can be sold more easily, and it can be sold for up to $100k+ less than we'll have in it if need be.

Which brings us to putting together a short list of boats to consider. GRANTED... we very well still may not go this route, but we're serious enough about it to have some candid and earnest conversations with a few builders.

BOAT USE:

NW Florida runs between 25 and 200 miles offshore will account for 85% of hours. Average sea state when I go is probably 2-3 feet. Usually steep and almost always slightly disorganized. It's not uncommon to see legitimate 4-5' seas offshore in and around storms, or if a weak front doesn't die as forecast indicated and you head out ahead of stabilization. I'm just a recreational guy, but I've got close to 10,000 hours on gulf out of here, and I'll say this. If the buoy 42039 reads 4.0 feet, you are not having fun out there on most boats. You just aren't.

So... 25-200 miles off shore = 85% of hours. Of those hours, I'd say 80% of that is holding boat as stationary as possible over bottom structure, but I hope to lessen that figure and increase time spent trolling and drifting (chunking for tuna, sword baits, etc). So maybe 70% holding up, and then 30% on a drift in the conditions outlined above. The other 15% of boat use will be cruising beach / surf sight fishing, island time, fireworks, picnic, overnight in around port of call, family sight seeing, etc.

Considering the above paragraph, obviously I'm looking for a safe 400nm range. I could get away with 350.

Actual 20 knot boat loaded would be fantastic. But if it must come at expense of range, or questionable weight distribution as a result of additional fuel or engine displacement, then I'd rather sacrifice a couple knots.

The boat will be finished very simply. Below is a NB 36 that is laid out pretty close to what I'm thinking. This plus an elevated platform on house top with a second station. No generator. No thruster. Curtain as opposed to winter back. Removable fish box above deck. No engine box in wheel house. DO WANT: Enclosed head. Elect head. Fresh water. Likely a small galley opposite head. Just a spot for microwave and some enclosed space for inverter, sounders, etc. Bunks forward... be awesome if 4 could sleep forward on bunks, but if hull dictates only a birth that wouldn't be end of world.

SO.... THE LIST... and where I'd welcome some input. The boats that I keep coming back to are listed below:

Holland 38
    H&H 40
    Young Brothers 38
    Young Brothers 40
    Northern Bay 38 (Northern Bay)
    Wesmac 38
    Morgan Bay 43

Obviously the Morgan Bay is a bit of an outlier, but damn what a boat! Glen Holland still builds that 38, right? I think the H&H is probably my least favorite of the bunch, and I feel like the NB38 may be getting my nod at the moment. I know Wesmac gets high marks, but there's something about it that I don't dig. Not sure what it is. Maybe it's just that it doesn't appear to be as much boat as others. Please feel free to educate me.

More than likely would go solid glass. If we were to consider coring, are there any builders that you'd feel more comfortable having build you a cored boat below waterline? I'd probably still elect to have solid glass at pre-determined thru hulls.

NB36.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. Tuna Hotline

Tuna Hotline Senior Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    My short list would be the 37 Duffy, 38 Norther Bay, and the 42 Calvin Beal. The 43 Morgan bay is a different league. If the funds are there, that's how I'd go.

The 38 Norther Bay is a very efficient hull, and super easy to push. Probably the easiest of the bunch to get a true 20kt cruise without big power.

3. Panhandler80

42 Calvin just seems like a real chunk. Not as chunking as the 38, but still a chunk. I bet she's stable. I had Duffy 37 and 42 on my initial list. Maybe I'll revisit it.

4. leaky

leaky Captain

Powderpro has a 38 wesmac, new kit hull, listed here, available now. I doubt you could go wrong there and he's looking for offers.

If you are serious about this route and time is a consideration, you should jump.

powderpro and Diesel Jerry like this.
  5. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    As much as I would like to see a build on a 38 YB, you can’t beat a hull that is out of the mold and ready to be finished.

6. leaky

leaky Captain

Yep - when I was thinking about my 32 Holland kit if there was another fast 30 ft kit sitting around I would've said "close enough" and grabbed it, would have got started a year early.

Diesel Jerry likes this.
  7. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    And you can’t beat the layup quality and thickness of a Wesmac. I’ve visited all the shops and looked at all the molds, Wesmac has the highest quality molds and produces the best fiberglass work in my opinion. Besides it’s beautiful lines, visiting the Wesmac shop sold me. There’s a reason they consistently build the biggest and most expensive DE boats, because everything about their product says high quality. The 38 Wesmac is not the biggest 38 available, but it’s size is very adequate and every bit as big as some other boats on your list, and it’s a very efficient hull.

steveinak and Diesel Jerry like this.
  8. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    As far as core goes it’s more the finisher than the hull construction that counts. All these destroyed balsa boats were once really well constructed boats that got into the hands of clueless outfitters. 38 nb 700hp would be my choice but I’m kinda impartial.

Scorpion 37 and Tuna Hotline like this.
  9. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    Who has the 38 NB molds currently and have any parts been produced lately?

10. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    I believe Perry is still laying them up in johns shop but that’s a bit of a shit show. Hoping someone buys out John soon and does the right thing with the molds.

11. Panhandler80

Well... that's not what a potential buyer wants to hear. I know the NB 38 website isn't much to write home about.

12. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    38' Wesmac: hull #34

Panhandler, here is a link to the thread of a 38 Wesmac I finished back in 2012-2013. I have a few pictures and sea trial numbers you can look through. I used that 38 Wesmac in Alaska for salmon fishing in most every sea condition and with various amounts of weight on the boat, it was impressive in every way.

Diesel Jerry likes this.
  13. CompassRose

CompassRose Senior Member

Captain
    Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 38'
    Is your 38 Wesmac hull still available. Mainely Boats in Cushing finished off my boat did an excellent job. Last time I checked, they had a brand new Volvo D-13 at their shop from a build that fell through and the owner of the engine was looking to sell it. If I were somebody seriously looking now for a new build and everything was still available, I'd put that Volvo in your 38 Wesmac and have Mainely Boats finish it off. I think it's potentially a great opportunity.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    xbskt and Diesel Jerry like this.
  14. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil

Yes my new 38 Wesmac hull is available immediately and I’m open to cash offers, need to sell sooner than later

15. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

sorry...not meaning to be a wiseass, but what do you mean by "chunk"

leaky likes this.
  16. CompassRose

CompassRose Senior Member

Captain
    Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 38'
    Your Wesmac is a great opportunity for someone who is serious and I'm pretty sure Mainely Boats has an open bay ready for a build and that Volvo is still available. This thing is basically all teed up and ready to go. I'd be all over that trifecta if I was still looking.

17. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

reasonably sure I saw that ABC laid one or two up a year or two ago for Perry and finished them as well. But it's a good question, now that a broker is out here trying to market the products.

18. leaky

leaky Captain

I assume he means fat = wide. :)

19. Panhandler80

Beam : Waterline ratio. Chunky. Certainly not an official nautical term by any stretch. ;-)

I'm confused. I did see where MidCoast Yachts is pushing the boat. But I don't understand the ABC / Perry relationship. If they laid it up "for" him then what interest does Perry have in the 38 NB? Does he also do finishing, rigging, etc, or what?

20. Panhandler80

That's a lot of engine. Pretty sure I'd hit my 20 knot goal. ;-)

powderpro and Diesel Jerry like this.