Shrinkwrap condensation - vent

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Skeetsdad, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Skeetsdad

Skeetsdad Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Carolina Classic, 34 Webbers Cove
    IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0672.jpg Not sure if this is a well known solution for venting your shrink wrapped boat or not. I just discovered it courtesy of google.. I went down to my boat a few days ago to cut in an access door into the shrink wrap. When I got inside the shrink wrap was litteraly dripping with condensation. The shrink wrap guy did put some slats in the wrap up at the bow but they weren't letting air circulate.

The solution is just these antifreeze jugs.. Put one in on each side as high as I could reach. Seems to be working.

2. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Splitting a jug in half like that is a great idea. I have also just used cardboard as a form to create a good sized vent and just taped over the top of it to keep it dry. Home depot has screened plastic louvered vents in various sizes that work great to keep rain and bugs out. I had them installed on the shrink wrap while working on my house modification.

3. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    I like to put vents high by the ridge pole to let the warm air escape, and have air intake scoops like you posted down low by the rubrail.

4. Rearmount

Rearmount Senior Member

FDNY
    Boat Make:
    34' mainship Pilot
    Brilliant!!!!!!

5. Turtleman

Turtleman Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    I like that idea, inexpensive and quick. I also went into my boat tent yesterday to find it raining inside. I might need more than 1.

Attached Files:

6. aegus15

aegus15 Senior Member

Retired, local 17 Boston
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy / 18 Eastern
    Great idea, raining inside of mine, will be cutting up some antifreeze bottles today !

7. Turtleman

Turtleman Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    I didn't get to small vents today, but I did frame up a an opening with a hatch which will hold a box fan. Its up about 10 feet in the back wall so I can reach it from the stern. I am still going to install some of those bottles up at the peaks.

Attached Files:

CaseyMarie likes this.