Side scan sounder

SemperFishBoston

Boat Make
AJ26 Duffy
Anybody using side scan? What brand? what transducer? Will a hang off the stern ducer work on these boats? Or is it all just a gimmick?

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
I installed a thruhull one in my keel of the General Marine 26 and LOVED it... need to get clear water to it... most times they need to have two transducers but I really enjoyed it... only reason why I havent put it on this boat is the $1600 in transducers... granted deeper you go, the less well it works... if you go to the hull truth, FISHREACTION, look up my old posts, awesome pictures... I was running Lowrance/Simrad at the time...

I will have it on my Dusky 25...

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac

Stevepanther

I’m thinking of installing the furuno dff3d on my boat. Supposedly the Garmin and Simrad are limited to about 120 feet on side scan. The furuno will go as deep as 600

quiknet

Boat Make
28 Seaworthy
I just installed the raymarine total scan transducers on my boat and they're hooked up to a pair of axiom pro mfd's. I went with the raymarine because their transducers have a stabilization system to compensate for the vessel rolling/pitching and are supposed to perform better. I will try to post updates as to how I find they work.

SemperFishBoston

Boat Make
AJ26 Duffy
I was looking at the raymarine 9hv element model. Its a stand alone without network capability. Im only looking for the side scan/down scan capability. I have garmin already networked up. Does anyone have anything to say about these raymarine Element units? They seem pretty good from a price point. Of course the axioms are pretty sick and the high end simrads are awesome too. But they come with the price tag to match. Im happy with my garmin 4212’s for now but they are not compatible with the new side scan technology and im not flush at the moment to upgrade everything which is how i kind of landed on the raymarine element. Any words of wisdom is appreciated.
Tia
Steve

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
I was looking at the raymarine 9hv element model. Its a stand alone without network capability. Im only looking for the side scan/down scan capability. I have garmin already networked up. Does anyone have anything to say about these raymarine Element units? They seem pretty good from a price point. Of course the axioms are pretty sick and the high end simrads are awesome too. But they come with the price tag to match. Im happy with my garmin 4212’s for now but they are not compatible with the new side scan technology and im not flush at the moment to upgrade everything which is how i kind of landed on the raymarine element. Any words of wisdom is appreciated.
Tia
Steve
Honestly, I like the concept of the Element as it uses kind of a Lighthouse 'Lite' OS, it's easy to use and it's got buttons which is a big plus IMO. It is a 'stand alone' model, where it can't share sounder or chart data to another unit, and it doesn't support radar. The biggest issue though is it uses very high frequency echoes, which are for shallow and CALM waters. It's very similar to what Humminbird uses, and Raymarine's primary market for these units are guys fishing the flats or fresh water.. The transducers unlike the RV transducers for the Axiom series are not stabilized, so motion combined with the very high and therefore narrow beam frequencies used could pose a problem for someone looking to use this in coastal waters. I do think as a basic stand alone GPS Chartplotter it's a great deal, but on the fishfinder side I just don't have a huge amount of faith in those higher frequencies working well in most coastal applications. That said, I'll talk to some of the guys at Raymarine to see if they can give me some more feedback just in case I'm wrong.

I’m thinking of installing the furuno dff3d on my boat. Supposedly the Garmin and Simrad are limited to about 120 feet on side scan. The furuno will go as deep as 600

Good move. They are amazing. Motion sensor built in, but use a sat compass if you will be recording the bottom such as with TimeZero. It seems like no fish would escape it's 120 degree view.

Double G

Boat Make
29 H& H
I participate in the NJ crab pot recovery program This program is grant funded and allows fishermen an opportunity to recover ghost pots.
The unit being used for this program is a Hummingbird Helix 9. The side scan works well in shallow water under 50'. Image shows a crab pot on the sea floor.
Standard transom mount transducer.

crabpot recovery.jpg

RIROB

Boat Make
28 BHM
Installed two due to the keel. I got to say side scan with mega imaging is the way to go can reach out 300 feet per side. Seeing pogie schools and bass for me is a must. I’ve been able to fill my live well on days where wind and water conditions you would not find the bait any other way. And their Chirp sonar is very good as well.

948C1006-D0C1-4BBF-9015-0C4564F54F55.jpeg

C21F2791-955B-475D-B6CD-30F8B0102CCD.jpeg

CE87A698-CDAF-41F5-A7B5-87C9CCAA0866.jpeg

leaky

Captain
I am looking forward to seeing for myself, thinking of Garmin GT51M-THP, which is their more powerful model CHIRP all in one pair, down, side, and traditional. Rating is something like 750 ft side, 1000 ft down, 1800 ft traditional. Side scanning falls apart @ 7 knots or so, too much data is what tech support says but outside of that they reportedly operate like any other sonar.

Still researching some things, trying to cut through hype, understand the features, but I like Garmin and what I see so far looks good. I like the idea of a all in one transducer, then I'm not making extra holes and can do it the old way too if I want.

RIROB

Boat Make
28 BHM
I am looking forward to seeing for myself, thinking of Garmin GT51M-THP, which is their more powerful model CHIRP all in one pair, down, side, and traditional. Rating is something like 750 ft side, 1000 ft down, 1800 ft traditional. Side scanning falls apart @ 7 knots or so, too much data is what tech support says but outside of that they reportedly operate like any other sonar.

Still researching some things, trying to cut through hype, understand the features, but I like Garmin and what I see so far looks good. I like the idea of a all in one transducer, then I'm not making extra holes and can do it the old way too if I want.
these where the old transducers side scan at 15knts no problem the new ones which are all in one just I have two because of the keel way way clearer.
DC1A9B84-EE7C-4F06-92FA-2CB844598577.jpeg

72AA12C6-1CA5-4972-9030-988BC37AEBFB.jpeg

leaky

Captain
these where the old transducers side scan at 15knts no problem the new ones which are all in one just I have two because of the keel way way clearer.
View attachment 83571

View attachment 83572
I think you have some good experience to share with the hummingbirds and you are saying you went from a single to a dual? Coming in a little broken up here :)

Which transducer and screen model you got now? Thx

RIROB

Boat Make
28 BHM
Nope went from dual to a dual but if you had a spot to mount it so there would be no obstruction like a keel you only need one

MAArcher

Anyone have experience with a Garmin Echomap Plus 74SV with a GT51M transom mount? I'm wondering how far out to the sides can you see in 40-60 feet of water?

RIROB

Boat Make
28 BHM
I think you have some good experience to share with the hummingbirds and you are saying you went from a single to a dual? Coming in a little broken up here :)

I’m Running two Solix 15s with SSTH 14 HW MSI+ T - SOLIX MEGA SI+, DI+, DS CHIRP w/ Temp Thru-Hull Transducer

Top Bottom