Sneak Peek

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Pictures' started by Genius, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Genius

Genius Captain

Where do you get pine tar?

I almost used turpentine, but the Boiled linseed can said to use mineral spirits.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM
  2. Genius

Genius Captain

The guy that built the 2" rough sawn wood deck (which sits on a 1.5" nida core deck) when asked....what did you use to caulk the seems? His reply was something that didn't work.;)

The hold down bolts were not plugged, but filled with caulk. The seems were packed with cotton or oakum that held water and just rotted. The caulk he used was red, had good adhesion, but no flexibility to deal with the wide planked deck. Cracked and let water in.

When I said it will be a yearly task, I meant the treatment to keep the wood oiled. Not the caulking.

3. Yesac13

Yesac13 Senior Member

That's better than I thought. Still, lots of people only redo caulking once or twice a decade. So I'm mystified how even 5200 can still fail. There are boats with teak decks and black 5200 that is still good 2 decades later. Maybe it is the width of the planks that does it (these boats I think of have narrow teak planks).

4. Genius

Genius Captain

I think the 5200 failed when the plank had higher moisture content and when I applied the caulk we were in a long stretch of low humidity and hot weather. The planking shrunk and the dry weather did nothing for the 5200 cure. It basically cracked in the center like it was being pulled apart. The caulk stayed bonded to the wood, only stress cracks in the center. If I could have changed the way I did that section....I would have moistened the area during the day to promote the 5200 cure and stabilize the shrinking of the plank.

On another note the polysulfide Lifecaulk also cures with moisture. It seems this is the preferred product. Reviews and comments say it stays flexible longer than 5200 and has adhesive qualities approaching that of 5200.

5. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    just a offhand thought maybe look up a product made by permachink they make all kinds of caulks for log homes, the logs move/swell quite a bit with weather changes like a wet deck.

6. Genius

Genius Captain

I'll have a look! not only for the boat but for the camp too:)

7. Genius

Genius Captain

Setting a 400# mooring today

Attached Files:

El Mar likes this.
  8. Quik Fix 16

Quik Fix 16 Member

Fiiberglass guy
    Boat Make:
    Shamrock
    Pretty much the same as we [us old timers] used on the clam tonging boat decks.

Genius likes this.
  9. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    Hamilton Marine